Home

is it me or is the Passing game weird

This is a discussion on is it me or is the Passing game weird within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-04-2011, 01:12 AM   #17
Pro

baller7345's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: is it me or is the Passing game weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by db56
The passing game this year definitely has a different feel to it. Its funny to me how EA manages to do this every year, change something that doesnt need changing, lol! The field is just too narrow imo, db's and lb's can cover too much ground.

my advice, get on the practice field, offense only, and practice using the left stick to aim your throws. work on timing and mess with all the routes and try different combinations, when you get confident, practice against a defense and your on your way....
Too narrow? In my last 4 games I've averaged a completion % of 78 with 9 TDs and 1 pick. There are plenty of openings in the defense and I haven't seen any issue with the db's or lb's covering too much space. I'm doing this on All-Madden if anyone was wondering. I do agree that the passing game feels different from last year but in my opinion it is all for the better as the comeback route finally works and I don't feel terrified of throwing a curl route when the defense is in man coverage as they don't jump the route like they did last year. I have still seen defenders jumping routes but it has been in a more realistic way instead of having the db running with his back turned then stop and turn on the curl before the WR does.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:36 AM   #18
Veteran

db56's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by baller7345
Too narrow? In my last 4 games I've averaged a completion % of 78 with 9 TDs and 1 pick. There are plenty of openings in the defense and I haven't seen any issue with the db's or lb's covering too much space. I'm doing this on All-Madden if anyone was wondering. I do agree that the passing game feels different from last year but in my opinion it is all for the better as the comeback route finally works and I don't feel terrified of throwing a curl route when the defense is in man coverage as they don't jump the route like they did last year. I have still seen defenders jumping routes but it has been in a more realistic way instead of having the db running with his back turned then stop and turn on the curl before the WR does.
yeah... thats what i said and its my opinion. right or wrong you are entitled to yours and thank you for it...
Old 09-04-2011, 01:44 AM   #19
Pro

baller7345's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by db56
yeah... thats what i said and its my opinion. right or wrong you are entitled to yours and thank you for it...
Wow that was a cold response. I'm fine with people having different opinions I just wasn't seeing the field being narrow this year. I'd be happy if you'd give me some examples of how the field is narrowed this year.

Not everyone who says they aren't seeing what you see in the game are out to pick a fight because you have a different view, so I find your tone unnecessary. Of course as this is nothing but type I could completely misinterpreting the tone of your message.

Last edited by baller7345; 09-04-2011 at 02:05 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:49 AM   #20
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zastrin
Good for 15 minute quarters?
Yea that's what I play with. Using the Bengals I had two very close games including one that was 27-27 with 5 minutes left.

Stats against me seem to be as close to perfect as it could get. Peyton Hillis rushed for 117 yards and Colt McCoy put up 225.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:04 AM   #21
MVP

PacMan3000's Arena

OVR: 11

So far I'm enjoying the game, but what bothers me the most about passing is that I can't make my players JUMP. Sure, you press the button and they might put their hands up, or maybe if you're lucky, they'll hop ten inches off the ground.

But where is the ability to press the jump button that triggers your WR or DB or leap in the air, snagging balls out of the air? It's just not fully realized in this game, and it really hurts the passing game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2011, 10:31 AM   #22
Rookie

turfguy23's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacMan3000
So far I'm enjoying the game, but what bothers me the most about passing is that I can't make my players JUMP. Sure, you press the button and they might put their hands up, or maybe if you're lucky, they'll hop ten inches off the ground.

But where is the ability to press the jump button that triggers your WR or DB or leap in the air, snagging balls out of the air? It's just not fully realized in this game, and it really hurts the passing game.
Try pressing the jump button a littler earlier. It works great for me using the Detroit Lions. I've seen 10+ different jump/catch animations so far and they are amazing. The fade route is especially wicked in Madden 12. To do the fade route, tap the WR button (almost) immediately after the snap to throw a lob and don't forget to use lead passing with the fade to direct them where you want. As soon as the ball is in the air, take control of the receiver and time the jump. You might have to hit up practice mode to get the timing but it is well worth the effort. The fade routed animations are simply amazing this year. Megatron is a beast in the Redzone and I call a fade atleast on time every trip. I will try to save some highlights from some of my games today and post them here. The WR's will do all sorts of cool animations (with toe touches included) and leap over the defenders just like in real life.

Last edited by turfguy23; 09-04-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:13 AM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
To do the fade route, tap the WR button (almost) immediately after the snap to throw a lob and don't forget to use lead passing with the fade to direct them where you want. As soon as the ball is in the air, take control of the receiver and time the jump. You might have to hit up practice mode to get the timing but it is well worth the effort. The fade routed animations are simply amazing this year. Megatron is a beast in the Redzone and I call a fade atleast on time every trip. I will try to save some highlights from some of my games today and post them here. The WR's will do all sorts of cool animations (with toe touches included) and leap over the defenders just like in real life.
This sounds fun. I don't usually take control of my receivers, so I wonder if they'll do this sort of thing themselves if I time the pass right. I feel like Stevie Johnson would be fun to throw the fade to. I can barely get him to get ahead of corners on streaks though. Perhaps Fitzpatrick's arm is too weak. It's hard being a Bills fan.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:23 AM   #24
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBuilder
If you play on All-Pro with with gamespeed set to slow, and "speed threshold" set to zero, the passing game becomes much more realistic.

This allows ratings to actually be used instead of the defense having super leaping linebackers that cover an entire side of the field with their zone coverage.
yeah but the stats will become bloated.

the lower threshhold equals a higher % of big plays. It becoems straight line running after the completion or once the rb gets through the hole. thats because the reaction times of the defense become a split second slower.

IMO, realism is achieved with a higher threshhold, because youll need to juke or make an extra cut to get past the secondary line of defense, if there is anybody between you and the goal line. and that extra cut allows the defense to make the adjustment.

once you figure the game out youll hate the threshold at a lower number.

I actually didnt like MAdden 12 at first but its growing on me, cause the game forces you to make adjustments. tipped passes only happen now when Im rushed.
read the defense and take what they give you. audibles, line adjustments are more emphasized this year. due to the imrpoved defense.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »