Home

Dynamic player performance doesn't work

This is a discussion on Dynamic player performance doesn't work within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 10:00 PM   #1
Rookie

brettford's Arena

OVR: 3
Dynamic player performance doesn't work

So the new dynamic player performance where you press pause mid game and look at the players currently on hot or cold streaks...yea that doesn't work at all.

The first problem is that the players it shows as currently hot or cold essentially change on a play to play basis. One minute there will be 3 players who are "cold", then after only one play there might be 6 players who are some combination of hot or cold. Even players who have nothing to do with anything just magically become hot or cold.

Secondly, it doesnt seem to be based on real in game action. Dexter McCluster came into the game and caught a 30 yard td pass on his first play. A second later he appears in the DPP as "cold".

I had high hopes for this feature but it seems completely messed up. How can the number of guys on hot or cold streaks change on a play by play basis? And how can guys who aren't on some sort of streak go to cold after scoring a td.

On an aside...let me rant a bit. I simply don't think the developers who make this game are that intelligent. Not with the types of problems that have surfaced.

1) the weather issue in franchise. I read the developer on this forum talking about how the weather is pseudo fixed and it's based on some random numbers that aren't that random..etc. Are you kidding me? Like this is not complex stuff. This is not something we need a room full of computer science phds to solve. Give me 30 minutes and I can make an excel spreadsheet that randomizes realistic weather (for multiple geographies, for every month of the year). How do you mess that up?

2) the udfa problem in franchise. This one is hilarious. Here you have Josh looman writing us that wonderful long blog post about how he's poured his blood sweat and tears into franchise mode. Hell, ea even put out that "dear franchise community...we are sorry weve neglected you" trailer. They pour thousands of development hours into improving franchise mode and nobody at the studio thinks "hey maybe I should spend 10 minutes simulating our new franchise mode...you know, just to see if it actually works".

I sorry guys, but the only conclusion I can come to is that these guys simply aren't that smart. Maybe the smart people work at other studios. And don't give me that "well they just have to cater to the mass audience etc" nonsense. That may be why they hadn't addresssed franchise in a year or two, but it doesn't explain why the mode is so broken. When you have remotely intelligent people working on things, they don't make stuff that is broken. They might not go in the direction you want, they might make some decisions you disagree with...but smart people don't produce finished products that are fundamentally broken.

Not smart.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2011, 10:10 PM   #2
Banned

Find the Door's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Dynamic player performance doesn't work

Completely agree! Bravo!
Old 09-03-2011, 10:16 PM   #3
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

OVR: 46
Lol you can't attack a Dev like like brah.

Sent from my HumancentiPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-03-2011, 10:41 PM   #4
Rookie

Shards's Arena

I've never seen that many players go hot and cold. I think what is throwing people off is that it only shows certain players. It seems like it only shows DPP for players who are on the field except guys who change during the game seem to stay up all the time. I may be off here but next time watch who it is and see if it seems to only show players who are on the field. This feature is way better than what we have had previously.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:43 PM   #5
Rookie

brettford's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeman
Lol you can't attack a Dev like like brah.

Ummm well I did. Lightning hasn't struck me yet.

I don't understand the reverence so many people on these boards seem to have for the developers. People get excited like little girls because the big fancy super smart developers actually read what you wrote.

Well guess what? These guys produced a lousy product. They made a lousy unfinished, completely broken product. I don't blame them if there is some clipping in the game, a player happens to skate a bit, or the AI has some difficulty in defending a certain play. That stuff is hard. That stuff is complex, and even if I want to complain about it, I have to at least concede that the core gameplay itself is pretty good.

However, if you are going to market new features to consumers, and then completely mess them up to the point that you can't actually play the feature as it was intended...well that will get a reaction from me.

Oh no! Hope this doesn't make the developers sad!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2011, 10:47 PM   #6
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

OVR: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettford
Ummm well I did. Lightning hasn't struck me yet.

I don't understand the reverence so many people on these boards seem to have for the developers. People get excited like little girls because the big fancy super smart developers actually read what you wrote.

Well guess what? These guys produced a lousy product. They made a lousy unfinished, completely broken product. I don't blame them if there is some clipping in the game, a player happens to skate a bit, or the AI has some difficulty in defending a certain play. That stuff is hard. That stuff is complex, and even if I want to complain about it, I have to at least concede that the core gameplay itself is pretty good.

However, if you are going to market new features to consumers, and then completely mess them up to the point that you can't actually play the feature as it was intended...well that will get a reaction from me.

Oh no! Hope this doesn't make the developers sad!
Because your post could be legit if you had a different tone...

Now it would most likely get closed and the issue at hand will probably be ignored...

There isn't anything wrong with being constructive.

Btw I could care less what the devs read...Attacking them is against TOS..

IMO, I just think you should edit the first post a bit

Last edited by Jukeman; 09-03-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:08 AM   #7
Rookie

brettford's Arena

I'm simply trying to diagnose the issue here. I think that the people who develop this game must not be that bright. Does that sound like a personal "attack"? Yea, probably does. But at the end of the day I really can't figure out why some of these problems exist without coming to the same conclusion. So while some may view that as an unwarranted personal jab against these guys, the reality is that it is part of the constructive understanding of why so much of this stuff doesn't work right.

I'm not deliberately setting out to be a jerk here. I am just being very candid in my analysis of what's going on.

Do you realize how hard it is to get the lighting right in a game like madden? Do you realize how much math is involved? It's my best guess that you have smart people in one part of the development studio doing the hard stuff. Then over in the corner you have the "less capable" who are working on stuff like the new franchise mode and writing blog posts on the cool new features.

That would explain why the easiest stuff routinely gets screwed up. Literally stuff I could write the code for in an excel sheet in under an hour. I know these guys work hard, they put in ridiculous hours to make this game. Thats why it is utterly stunning they miss the most basic stuff.

It would be like building a flashy new sports car and touting the new advancements in the way the engine is built and tuned for performance....then forgetting to put the wheels on.

Would smart people do that?
Old 09-04-2011, 12:12 AM   #8
Rookie

Well, no, DPP doesn't work very well, nor do the player traits -- because traits, hot/cold, etc. have NO EFFECT really if you're controlling players. Who cares if my QB is feeling the heat and gets trigger happy? If I'm controlling him, it doesn't matter... What this game needed to make all the featuers work was a REAL coach mode.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »