Home

John Madden on Blitzing

This is a discussion on John Madden on Blitzing within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-07-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
John Madden on Blitzing

I was listening to NFL Radio today. John Madden guests every Wednesday at Noon. But he made an interesting comment that many of us OS folks might find useful.
He says that almost every team in this years NFL is using the blitz as their base defense.
For the last several days, I have been tweeking and tweeking my sliders to reduse the number of sacks I'm seeing.
But if what John Madden is saying is true, then maybe we're SUPPOSED to be seeing 5-10 sacks a game. Maybe EA knew what they were doing afterall.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: John Madden on Blitzing

5-10 sacks a game?

Pittsburgh had 48 last year (3 a game) to lead the league.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudman
5-10 sacks a game?

Pittsburgh had 48 last year (3 a game) to lead the league.
In real life a quarterback will recognize it and make you pay with the dumpoff. There is no way to simulate that in a video game without the computer knowing exactly what d you choose. Even users can't adapt fast enough like a real quarterback.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

I know John Madden is the voice of God and all in the football world, but I find that hard to believe, or maybe I'm just not hearing it in the right context. I do know that teams views as bases 4-man pass rush teams like the Bucs and Bears blitz more than people realize, and I know some schemes have what they call "adders" are built in where say a linebacker in man will have the option to blitz if his guy stays in for protection, but I don't think almost every team in the league has a base 5 man rush.

In the context of the game, the toned down blitzing is right on time this year.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:07 PM   #5

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadia147
I was listening to NFL Radio today. John Madden guests every Wednesday at Noon. But he made an interesting comment that many of us OS folks might find useful.
He says that almost every team in this years NFL is using the blitz as their base defense.
For the last several days, I have been tweeking and tweeking my sliders to reduse the number of sacks I'm seeing.
But if what John Madden is saying is true, then maybe we're SUPPOSED to be seeing 5-10 sacks a game. Maybe EA knew what they were doing afterall.
The point of blitzing isn't necessarily to get a sack but to add pressure and make the quarterback react quicker on pass plays.

Just because we are seeing more blitzes doesn't necessarily mean we should see more sacks.

And it's no different this year than it has been the last couple years. He didn't say anything revolutionary.

Last edited by kehlis; 09-07-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2011, 08:43 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadia147
5-10 a game...im adding that to my stand up routine
Old 09-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #7
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

And just an interesting stat to add context. The NFL record for sacks in a single season is 72 by the'84 Bears. That's 4.5 a game. And that's one that won't be broken because of all the quick passing and spread formations prevalent in today's landscape. In the last five years, the highest single season total has been 61 by the 2006 Chargers -- that's 3.8 a game.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:19 PM   #8
Rookie

Jaaa's Arena

He means the threat of blitz has become the new base defense, as in a team will show pressure more often than they will sit back in their base alignment. And no, EA did not get this right.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »