Home

Since when is switching to the WR.DB closes to the ball not sim.

This is a discussion on Since when is switching to the WR.DB closes to the ball not sim. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-08-2011, 10:23 AM   #49
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bichettehappens
I could see why it would have been considered not sim back when rocket catching was a huge issue. These days though I feel switching, especially to a WR, makes it MORE sim since the CPU WR will not aggressively make a play on the ball while the CB will
This is exactly why I don't switch in games against the CPU. Even with my marginal "stick skillz", I can still out play the CPU because WR/DB interaction is still not up to par in both NCAA & Madden. I want my offline games to be competitive and from my experience with an advantage like that it never will be.

On the flip side, if two user's are playing against each other then, I don't have a problem with switching.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans

Last edited by jeremym480; 09-08-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:31 AM   #50
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Since when is switching to the WR.DB closes to the ball not sim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJackRabbit
Switching to the closest player in order to get involved in the playing isn't "unsim" because video games are meant to be fun, and playing ( for an example) as a defensive end the whole game would be incredibly boring. Let's say a player user controls a DE and get's 3 sacks, 3 tackles, and returns a fumble for a TD. That's seven plays in total, and a monster game for the DE, but who in their right mind would consider that an entertaining experience ?
Me, because I'm doing that well as the DE, it may also mean...

-I'm getting good pressure when I don't get sacks. Obviously, I'm beating the protection on my side frequently.

-If I'm beating my man, perhaps I'm helping string out edge run plays - forcing them back to my pursuit inside - like a good DE should.

-I recovered a fumble? My nose for the ball must be on today. Wait, I scooped and scored? Nice - I have a nose for the ball AND the end zone today.

Football is supposed to be a team game. If I'm doing my job on plays (there's good play that doesn't show up in the box scores, like forcing runners back to your pursuit or harassing the QB - and with 3 sacks, you're likely forcing protection to you so maybe someone else is having a monster day because of your monster day), then I would be pleased with my peformance and hopefully my teammates can take advantage.

If you don't like being a DE, don't be one, imo. There's other positions. LBs get tons of action if you only look at boxscore stats.

I don't look at switching as a matter of "stick skillz" (though I do think that ratings should matter more, otherwise, why even have them for on-line play?), but a matter of how you enjoy playing the game and what position(s) the user enjoys playing. It doesn't have anything to do with being a "scrub" or whatever other term. If I like DL play and being the HB, that's what I like to play. Doesn't necessarily mean my "stick skillz" are bad.

The real problem is the player AI being still so bad. If the AI had players make better football decisions (relative to their ratings of course) then I think that would solve a lot. A player wouldn't need to try to control all 11 people at different points because the players would play like pro football players.

Last edited by KBLover; 09-08-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:40 AM   #51
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatMan72
Personally I've always found the notion of "sim" funny in regards to Madden, if we're talking about real simulation, then shouldn't you be playing QB with a first-person view?
This would be awesome if done right.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #52
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twimstaxs
First of all what Defense were you using, and secondly you must be really bad at defense when you allow that. YOu should have blitzed him and there would have been no way he would have time to drop back 15 yards and bomb it down field. NO WAY!
Not only that but also if he's doing that then you should switch to that DB go into your strafe and pick it off. It's easy.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #53
Rookie

falconfansince81's Arena

OVR: 3

i user everything, the moment the ball is snapped and i think after playing online for so many years this is just so natural anymore i don't even think about it. i almost feel bad when i see a guy playing DT but thats the nature of the beast in online competition. i won't knock on how anyone chooses to play, but if anyone really feels its unsim so much that they call people out M12 offers a great offline franchise mode this year.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:19 PM   #54
Rookie

Tha_BlacKnight's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
In the broadest sense of the game, switching to a different defender is NOT a simulation ability. Real people can't possess the bodies of others. But on the flip side of that same coin, every play in the NFL is a USER PLAY. The difference is that there are 22 different users on the field at a time in real life, while Madden only allows up to 6.

To strike a balance and allow every play to be a USER play, video games must allow us to 'switch'

The reason we're still debating this 9 years after online play began is because some people don't want to control ANYTHING while others want to control EVERYTHING. Then they beat their chest about how "SIM" they are and point fingers at how others aren't...
You make great points. I agree with you totally.

Not to get off topic but my question is this.

Why are basketball gamers different then Madden gamers in their definition of "sim"?
I mean when it comes to changing players defensively. They all it not "sim" if you solely use one player defensively I.E. Dwight Howard or KG. They say if they wanna play the CPU they would play offline.

Now if Madden gamers are saying switching defenders or controlling the WR mid-play is not "sim" then whats the difference. I dont get it.

I guess they are their own monsters.

6'8 220 Point Guard Ovr rating 62
College: The Citadel 2009-12

Career PPG 12.4, RPG 6.9, APG 11.2 (1521 asts)
89 career dbl dbls, 21 career triple doubles

4X All-Conf, 10-11 Conf POY, 08-09 Conf Frosh of the year, Frosh All Conf

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »