Home

Gameflow - Easier or harder game?

This is a discussion on Gameflow - Easier or harder game? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-02-2011, 05:53 PM   #17
Pro

OVR: 12
Re: Gameflow - Easier or harder game?

I changed plays when gameflow suggested I run play-action out of my own endzone, LOL
Old 12-02-2011, 06:15 PM   #18
Rookie

stp2081's Arena

OVR: 19

I don't need an outside force (Gameflow) to force me to use various plays from my playbook. I try to use as much of my playbook as possible because I find that to be challenging and fun.

When I've used "Ask Madden"/Gameflow, I've noticed I get indirect hints on what the CPU will do next. For example, when the CPU is in a 3rd & 4 situation, and all 3 defensive plays Gameflow suggests are blitzes, it is because 99% of the time the CPU will run the ball (on a draw, probably). Conversely, I've had situations where the CPU offense came out in goal line formation on a 4th and 1, and all my Ask Madden plays were zone coverage (no blitzes recommended), so the CPU was basically tipping its hat to me that it was going to pass, and that's what it did.

Without Gameflow, I do not have the same sense of what play the CPU will use next.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:56 PM   #19
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Reading this thread caused me to take another look at Gameflow and it really has potential if somethings can be addressed.

1. The same way there are preset team playbooks, there needs to be 32 preset team offensive/defensive Gameplans for each team. For example, the Redskins would have 31 individual preset Gameplans for each team using plays from Shanahan's playbook and based on each opposing team's personnel and Head Coach/playbook.

2. Preset Offensive Gameplans need to have ebb and flow. Like more playcalls scripted to set up other plays, ie misdirection, double moves and playactions as well as adapting during the game, ie key injuries and repeating what works.

3. Gameflow should never choose a defensive play before the opponents offensive play has been selected so the defensive playcall is based on formation/down and distance, not just down and distance.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:58 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by untrugby
or prevent defense on 2 and 4 in the 1st quarter
What sucks is, when they suggest that it's because it's a HB Draw from the shotgun.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:52 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 4

Guys who say that GF constantly suggests 4 Verts and other bonehead plays,,, you do know that u can jus go in and take those plays out dont you???

Also,
they failed us again this year with the out of the box gameplans.
They are so generic and also identical in alot of the situations. I feel they didnt even try.
Once again I have to start my franchise by doin formation subs and altering gameplans before i get to play a game.

To save time I now only do specific gameplans for standout teams like the Pats,Packers,Saints and then do universal gameplans like

SmashMouth for teams that like to run between the tackles

TE1RB1 for teams whose offense consists of alotta passes to the TE and RB

Coryell for teams that like to air it out

and for defense I do gp's like

3-4Man
3-4Zone
4-3Man
Tampa2
4-3ZoneBlitz

so that cuts 64 gameplans almost in half
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2011, 01:21 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaW97
Guys who say that GF constantly suggests 4 Verts and other bonehead plays,,, you do know that u can jus go in and take those plays out dont you???

Also,
they failed us again this year with the out of the box gameplans.
They are so generic and also identical in alot of the situations. I feel they didnt even try.
Once again I have to start my franchise by doin formation subs and altering gameplans before i get to play a game.

To save time I now only do specific gameplans for standout teams like the Pats,Packers,Saints and then do universal gameplans like

SmashMouth for teams that like to run between the tackles

TE1RB1 for teams whose offense consists of alotta passes to the TE and RB

Coryell for teams that like to air it out

and for defense I do gp's like

3-4Man
3-4Zone
4-3Man
Tampa2
4-3ZoneBlitz

so that cuts 64 gameplans almost in half
This!!!!

I agree, gameflow/gameplans does't make the game any harder or easier. Sliders, threshold and coaching schemes do that.

As Law97 points out Madden 12 gameplans are way to generic which makes gameplay predictable. Gameplans, especially defensive gameplans give cpu teams more realistic personalities, as shipped, all teams regardless of base D rely heavily on cover three and only three goaline plays.
Ever wonder why so easy to score against cpu most of the time in goaline situations? Open up any teams defensive gameplan and see the same three goaline choices, pretty easy to find a play that beats all three 90% of the time. Give a good defensive team half a dozen more choices and not so easy any more.
I have found some offensive gameplans to be unique, most reflect real NFL teams tendencies but many teams lack proper formations, especially singleback and shotgun.

Don't like four verts as default 3rd and long play. Real NFL is a copy cat league, check out other teams playbooks, click on "my gameplan" and find situation 3rd and long. Take a look at what other teams use for third and long. Also, open your teams playbook, look at all plays and look for plays that you think may work for third and long. Keep in mind what hotroutes you can use against certain looks, add that play or any plays you like from any other team to your playbook and give it a high rating. Give any plays a high enough rating and your coordinaters will call it.

Think your cheating looking at other teams gameplans? Real teams look at film and can pretty much dissect a teams possible gameplan based on that. Gameplans are as close to film as we get in Madden. Since we don't call cpu plays we can't know for sure what play is called and even at the times we do we still have to execute. I even adjust elite cpu teams gameplans to attack my weaknesses.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of gameplans simply because it makes gameplay far less predictable for me.
As Law97 points out, once again EA didn't seem to spend much time on this. Takes a lot of time to set up in the beginning but pretty cool once your up and running. No need to change anything after gameplans are all set unless you want to.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:14 AM   #23
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Can you make Gameplans for the CPU this year with one controller? Last year, we were able to assign Gameplans to the CPU-controlled teams before patches, but once the patch dropped, we were unable to do so.

Has this been fixed in Madden 12? I haven't messed with custom playbooks yet, but I'm going to spend some time this week putting together a playbook for the Broncos and Giants, the two teams that I'll be using in Franchise Mode.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 12-04-2011, 11:47 AM   #24
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Yeah....I'm not going to try to defend Gameflow on defense, some of the calls it makes there are truly mystifying. I too have seen the Quarter Prevent on 1st down.
That sealed it for me.

Madden defense is already questionable, last thing I need is this.

If I can "change the play" as I saw someone mention in the thread...I might as well just pick my play from the start.

Plus, picking the play challenges my defensive coordinator mind - so I get double challenge, picking the right play and trying to think what's best for my personnel, enemy tendency, and situation, and then executing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »