Home

Please EA, no Gus in Madden 13

This is a discussion on Please EA, no Gus in Madden 13 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-07-2011, 02:20 AM   #17
Pro

kjjnesb's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Please EA, no Gus in Madden 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faizon
I like Gus, it's just the whole commentary AI is terrible and you can basically tell which year the sound clips were done in because they sound distinctly different
Yeah its like the sound team was given the yr off early this year lol
Old 09-07-2011, 05:40 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 16

The commentary quality in Madden 12 is abysmal. It's actually a step backward from Madden 11. I'd use more colorful language to express myself but OS has rules...

First a positive - audio is finally mixed correctly in 5.1. No longer do Gus and Cris come out of all five speakers in a surround setup. There's finally a front soundstage in a next-gen Madden since 09. Joy.

However, the proper mix just calls attention to the amateur quality at which Tiburon recorded the audio. You can plainly hear when different microphones were used in a session. The sequencing is STILL the same as it's been for a decade and is mind numbingly redundant. There's been absolutely ZERO innovation for the end user. This quality of audio in a 2011 AAA title is inexcusable.

Home field advantage conversation at coin toss for EVERY GAME? Same player introductions each and everytime? Where's the variety? This is the audio equivalent of their being one facemask animation. What happened to the QB Duel audio from years ago? There's not even a different pre-game audio script for the Playoffs or Championship games. Not even the Super Bowl. Same stuff each and every time. Wow.

Here comes that DIRTY WORD we wind up using every year. It hurts people's feelings. It makes developers angry and defensive. Its like a kick in the gut. As the coup de grace of traditional Tiburon laziness, it's the second year of having Gus Johnson in the game - Cris Collinsworth STILL has phrases where he calls him Tom Hammond. Ugh. Just ugh. Why bother suiting up if you're not even gonna try, man?

Face it fellow Madden heads, it's not Gus Johnson's fault. It's Madden's Audio team. Until Tiburon brings in someone who truly cares about sound as 50% of the experience and is willing to steal fresh ideas from their competition and push the envelope, commentary is and always will be the absolute lowest of priorities. Until then, I'm in Settings turning Field Volume up and Commentary alllllllllll the way down.

/rant

-SeventhWard

PS - I've always been in favor of an option to include 'legacy' commentary from PS2 featuring John and Al. At least that was listenable.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:01 AM   #19
Banned

Manning2Harrison's Arena

OVR: 11

They could have the best commentators in the world and I'd still turn them off if the context sensitivity remained as bad as its. Time after time they say things that are completely out of place for the situation.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:30 AM   #20
Banned

Pringles's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhWard
The commentary quality in Madden 12 is abysmal. It's actually a step backward from Madden 11. I'd use more colorful language to express myself but OS has rules...

First a positive - audio is finally mixed correctly in 5.1. No longer do Gus and Cris come out of all five speakers in a surround setup. There's finally a front soundstage in a next-gen Madden since 09. Joy.

However, the proper mix just calls attention to the amateur quality at which Tiburon recorded the audio. You can plainly hear when different microphones were used in a session. The sequencing is STILL the same as it's been for a decade and is mind numbingly redundant. There's been absolutely ZERO innovation for the end user. This quality of audio in a 2011 AAA title is inexcusable.

Home field advantage conversation at coin toss for EVERY GAME? Same player introductions each and everytime? Where's the variety? This is the audio equivalent of their being one facemask animation. What happened to the QB Duel audio from years ago? There's not even a different pre-game audio script for the Playoffs or Championship games. Not even the Super Bowl. Same stuff each and every time. Wow.

Here comes that DIRTY WORD we wind up using every year. It hurts people's feelings. It makes developers angry and defensive. Its like a kick in the gut. As the coup de grace of traditional Tiburon laziness, it's the second year of having Gus Johnson in the game - Cris Collinsworth STILL has phrases where he calls him Tom Hammond. Ugh. Just ugh. Why bother suiting up if you're not even gonna try, man?

Face it fellow Madden heads, it's not Gus Johnson's fault. It's Madden's Audio team. Until Tiburon brings in someone who truly cares about sound as 50% of the experience and is willing to steal fresh ideas from their competition and push the envelope, commentary is and always will be the absolute lowest of priorities. Until then, I'm in Settings turning Field Volume up and Commentary alllllllllll the way down.

/rant

-SeventhWard

PS - I've always been in favor of an option to include 'legacy' commentary from PS2 featuring John and Al. At least that was listenable.
well put
i remember in 2010 the new sound guy from madden opened a thread asking for ideas it took about 5 post and he got offended lol and never returned to comment lets face it DTS should sue for the use of there logo.

i too have a real nice receiver and speakers and tv after putting it on i un hooked it went strait to the tv for the sound that poping sound that happens every once in awhile is loud enough to damage your speakers.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:07 AM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 1
I still feel that it must be possible to do a Microsoft sam style thing. Probably difficult to do tone etc though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2011, 09:05 AM   #22
MVP

Tweeg's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhWard

Home field advantage conversation at coin toss for EVERY GAME?
This is the most annoying thing I've ever experienced in a video game. Worse than a Nintendo boss fight.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:13 AM   #23
Pro

TerryP's Arena

OVR: 10

They could do a lot worse than Dan & Peter.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:37 AM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 1

I don't even think they put any effort in this year's commentary. Gus calls Ochocinco "Johnson". Yet the guy changed his name before the 2008 season. What's up with that?

Next big issue is the complete of new names even for guys who've been in the league for some years now. They apparently never heard about Woodhead or Green-Ellis although they both played great last year.

Also they give false information talking about players. They repeatedly described Tom Brady as a guy who isn't an accurate passer - well the dude will be the only QB in the game with an accuracy rating of 100. So much for that...

Then you have the huge delay between events on the field and the commentary. A guy scores a touchdown and when they line up for the PAT Gus yells "TOUCHDOWN" or something like that. I remember sports games on Nintendo 64 that had better commentary back in the day. That's completely embarrassing for EA - or at least it should be...

I'm not a huge fan of Gus Johnson. He's way over the top at times. But he's ok. And really like Collinsworth. But what EA did utilizing them is simply a shame!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »