Home

does anyone get separation with their WR's?

This is a discussion on does anyone get separation with their WR's? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-08-2011, 06:47 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 9
Re: does anyone get separation with their WR's?

At default threshold I hit Andre Johnson on a bomb at the end of a game last night. Usually guys are covered well on streaks but he got behind the guy (may have been play action...I don't remember)...so yeah it's possible. Probably need good speed and good route running ratings.

If interested these are my Madden 12 sliders: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...dden-12-a.html
Old 09-08-2011, 08:00 PM   #18
Pro

baller7345's Arena

OVR: 5

This issue with the deep ball is mostly a by product of the amount of zone defense that they cpu plays. It isn't easy to go deep when every play has safety help over the top so you have to learn to beat the zones they are throwing at you.

Cover 2: The main beaters are any of the smash concepts as the deep corner route will be open but also you can throw a lot of the slant curls underneath the zones as well as the short hitch routes from the stick plays. Beating cover 2 deep means taking one of the safeties away from the outside receiver by flooding the middle of the field with routes and can be done out of several plays smash just happens to be the most common one. The plays with the 2 deep corner routes (look like a C) can also be effective if you get good blocking.

Cover 3: Strong Flood is your bread and butter here. This concept is designed to get the deep out open against cover 3 by pulling the flat zone down with a reciever in the flats and having the WR out wide take the deep zone with him on a go route. This leaves the deep out completely open. There are several other plays that use similar route combinations as the strong flood plays and they can be helpful too. As Cover 3 general has less help in the middle of the field Stick can actually get you some decent run after the catches and the slant curls can also do this. Forcing a slant over the middle is easier against cover 3 than against cover 2 but unless your are confident with it I wouldn't bother. Curl Flats is another good cover 3 killer and again this concept is run out of several different formations allowing you to keep the defense on their toes.

Cover 4: Dump it off, dump it off, dump it off. this is where you dink and dunk your way down the field screens are more likely to succeed here as there is no one in the flats. WR screens, HB screens, FB, screens, and TE screens should be able to pick up some decent yardage if you follow the blocking. The short middle is another weak spot as there will be at most 2 hook zones and in some cases 1 hook zone meaning the stick plays, short slant curls and even slants can be used though the slants can be picked if you play someone who is skilled. The main problem with most of this is that normally cover 4 is ran when its 3rd and long so the short routes are less likely to get you a first down but that is where the weaknesses are.

Cover 6: This has half the field split into quarters while the other is just one safety deep. The flats are open against this defense and smash can be successful if you run it to the side that isn't split into quarters. The short underneath routes are going to pick up about what you get on cover 2. Attack the lone safety by forcing him to make a decision and throw to where he isn't.

9 Velcro: Cover four but drops the 2 buzz zones into hook zones and drops 2 pass rushers into the flats (i think one of the CB's goes into the flats but you get the picture). Strong Flood is again your friend as it is essentially a super cover 3 since it gets ride of the buzz zones. Take your time as you only have 2 men rushing you so you will have time to find a target if your first read isn't there. Don't be afraid to take off and scramble as this is perhaps the defense with the most to lose from a scramble.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:05 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 0

i use the titans too. nate washington can get deep, but you have to wait until you see the defense in a 0 or cover 1

if both the safeties step close or you see one clearly standing over the top, hot route a fly
Old 09-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #20
Pro

OVR: 12

This might sound crazy, but I found that the best way to get seperation with your WRs against man coverage on a deep pass is to use a QB that has good throw power and deep pass ratings. It sounds weird, but in my online franchise, (where you can't adjust threshold or sliders) I can't complete a deep pass with Alice Smith EVER! Not only does he way over/under throw the receiver every time, my receivers can't get a step on a DB. But, once I put in Kaepernick, Crabtree seems to always get ahead of his corner. When I started to notice something, I started to test it. In the 3 games since, I have completed 1 of 9 with Smith to Crabtree on the same play. With Kaepernick, I'm 7 for 10 for 350+ yds. Some of it was against zone coverage but mostly it was man. And it was against corners Leon Hall, Nnamdi Asomogha, and Talib/Barber. This has also come against the cpu in games. Different story against other users. And honestly, it's not just the quality of throw, the difference in seperation is clear. It makes it obvious that the WR ability is programmed to directly tie in with QB ratings. Crabtree is not a burner and should really only get this open on good play action fakes and breakdowns in zone coverage. It's definitely cheese too. But that's Madden for you.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:57 PM   #21
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighSalute30
Try your threshold at 40. It makes the deep ball possible, but not overly so.
I have my threshold at 85 and I get separation. Once the players reach side by side put the ball up who ever is faster will get to the ball first.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2011, 12:24 AM   #22
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicer420
This might sound crazy, but I found that the best way to get seperation with your WRs against man coverage on a deep pass is to use a QB that has good throw power and deep pass ratings. It sounds weird, but in my online franchise, (where you can't adjust threshold or sliders) I can't complete a deep pass with Alice Smith EVER! Not only does he way over/under throw the receiver every time, my receivers can't get a step on a DB. But, once I put in Kaepernick, Crabtree seems to always get ahead of his corner. When I started to notice something, I started to test it. In the 3 games since, I have completed 1 of 9 with Smith to Crabtree on the same play. With Kaepernick, I'm 7 for 10 for 350+ yds. Some of it was against zone coverage but mostly it was man. And it was against corners Leon Hall, Nnamdi Asomogha, and Talib/Barber. This has also come against the cpu in games. Different story against other users. And honestly, it's not just the quality of throw, the difference in seperation is clear. It makes it obvious that the WR ability is programmed to directly tie in with QB ratings. Crabtree is not a burner and should really only get this open on good play action fakes and breakdowns in zone coverage. It's definitely cheese too. But that's Madden for you.
This reminds me of something I discovered a couple years back, that running backs with higher run vision will have better blocking from their offensive line.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:29 AM   #23
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trag3dy
Yeah but... Mike Wallace =/
I am able to get pretty realistic separation with Wallace.

“I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest – If you can’t take it, you shouldn’t play!” Jack Lambert
Quote:
“Quarterbacks should wear dresses.” Jack Lambert
Old 09-09-2011, 12:32 AM   #24
Banned

WindyCityFanatic's Arena

OVR: 0

I have my threshold at 100 and I don't throw deep because that could easily be cheese by me, I have Cutler who has 98 THP and Knox with 97 speed and Hester with 98 speed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »