Home

Stopping Calvin Johnson...he's on my team

This is a discussion on Stopping Calvin Johnson...he's on my team within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-10-2011, 12:39 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 8
Stopping Calvin Johnson...he's on my team

I'm playing with the Lions and currently have the speed threshold at 80, and CPU defensive AWR at 75. If I see the opposing CB one on one with Johnson, I'll just throw it up there (HUM QB ACC is at 16) and most times he will come down with it.

I imagine this is similar to real life, but in real life I doubt defenses will let their CB go one on one with him....and the CPU isn't smart enough to double him all the time. Is there a way to semi-realistically play with the Lions and still have Johnson as my go to guy without exploiting it? I'm afraid I might have to trade him away to make it more realistic.

Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 9
Re: Stopping Calvin Johnson...he's on my team

Other than raising the awareness or lowering the wr catch...no....maybe just limit your throws to him. In Real Life they throw to him how many times per game? Emulate that.

If interested these are my Madden 12 sliders: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...dden-12-a.html
Old 09-10-2011, 01:07 PM   #3
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by davep
I'm playing with the Lions and currently have the speed threshold at 80, and CPU defensive AWR at 75. If I see the opposing CB one on one with Johnson, I'll just throw it up there (HUM QB ACC is at 16) and most times he will come down with it.

I imagine this is similar to real life, but in real life I doubt defenses will let their CB go one on one with him....and the CPU isn't smart enough to double him all the time. Is there a way to semi-realistically play with the Lions and still have Johnson as my go to guy without exploiting it? I'm afraid I might have to trade him away to make it more realistic.

Thanks!
I would go into practice mode, choose a 4 verts play on Offense with the Lions, and go against the Eagles on D. Set the Eagels up to call any cover 1 or cover 0 play (preferably under their Dime package).

Now mess around with the threshold until you find a realistic seperation between Calvin Johnson and Nnamdi Asomugha. Calvin should have a step or two on him after about the 50 yard line.

Now, sub out Nnamdi for DRC. See if that threshold makes it so that either A) Calvin does NOT start pulling away from DRC. Or B) Calvin doesn't even get out ahead of DRC.

To check these, just go to Instant Replay after the play, and watch the CB covering Calvin Johnson. If the CB turns to run with Calvin smoothly (By this I mean, the CB doesn't wait until Calvin is even with him before he turns around to run). The CB should turn to run a yard or two before Calvin gets even with him. This best shows that CBs speed, because if the CB waits until the WR is even with him before he turns to run, pretty much ANY WR will burn that CB, so that will not help you judge your speed threshold.

Other than that, there's not much else you can do. Maybe setting the CPUs Pass Reaction Time to around 85-90 might help, but I'm not sure.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:12 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 3

Up the game speed to fast or very fast and up the difficulty. Overall everything becomes more challenging. Doing that may change everything about how you play and you may need to throw to him 12 times a game just to stay in the game...
Old 09-10-2011, 01:17 PM   #5
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarCityBandit
Up the game speed to fast or very fast and up the difficulty. Overall everything becomes more challenging. Doing that may change everything about how you play and you may need to throw to him 12 times a game just to stay in the game...
While it does make the game more difficult, it also makes the threshold act differently.

If you're at 50 on Normal, and everything seems right to you speed-difference wise, but then you bump the game up to fast and 50 threshold, players will have more separation than on Normal. So Normal, 50 threshold, would need to be tuned for fast, ~65 threshold.

Either way, he'll have to monkey around with things to find a medium he sees as fair, challenging, and entertaining.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2011, 01:19 PM   #6
Pro

SuperNoVa27's Arena

OVR: 6

Changing the game speed isn't much of a solution, trust me if you succeed on Slow All Madden, you can succeed on Very Fast All Madden, Also changing the speed won't decrease separation I actually was testing D.Jax's 100 speed earlier and I changed the speed to see if Mike Vick would be able to outrun lineman (which he still can't) and whenever D.Jax was one on one I could just throw it up and get a TD
Old 09-10-2011, 01:33 PM   #7
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNoVa27
Changing the game speed isn't much of a solution, trust me if you succeed on Slow All Madden, you can succeed on Very Fast All Madden, Also changing the speed won't decrease separation I actually was testing D.Jax's 100 speed earlier and I changed the speed to see if Mike Vick would be able to outrun lineman (which he still can't) and whenever D.Jax was one on one I could just throw it up and get a TD
Exactly, as I said in my previous post, increasing the game speed actually INCREASES seperation.

Oh, and to make Vick outrun lineman, you have to run north/south, not east/west.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:26 PM   #8
Farewell and 'ado

DocHolliday's Arena

I find it amusing that NBA 2K can adjust Defenses in multiple ways to stop stars from dominating, but EA cant figure out how to Double or shade a safety over t a stud WR.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »