Home

a scouting alternative the gives you every players combine results, just like the NFL

This is a discussion on a scouting alternative the gives you every players combine results, just like the NFL within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-02-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
a scouting alternative the gives you every players combine results, just like the NFL

hi, a poster whose name i can't recall did a very in-depth scouting breaking. he basically said the the first five 15-player scouting weeks only offered info that was mostly relevant for certain positions, O-line, D-backs and i believe runnings backs.

what is unrealistic about the scouting process is that you can only unlock combine results for a handful of players. in the real league anyone with a computer can get results on every player.

to rectify this, i've been considering my own scouting system that is different than how EA wants us to us it.

i'm considering skipping the first 5 in-season scouting opportunities to speed up the season (i only play playoffs) and also because the info is not really illuminating for many positions.

when i get to the combine, i'll use as many teams as i need (i control them all, remember) to get combine results for every player. just like the NFL.

now, based on these results and predicted round i'll offer myself more than 5 complete player views, but certainly not a ton. i'm considering 10 or 20 as house-rule limit.

this i think gets me closer to "real world" scouting where a team knows the measurables of every player and has a chance to scout in-depth a certain group of players.

and it bypasses the largely useless (unless scouting o-lineman for me) in-season scouting.

just a thought if anyone doesn't like the lack of combine info for all players and finds the current system too tedious. maybe it's not for everyone but i think it's the way i'll do it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2011, 12:46 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: a scouting alternative the gives you every players combine results, just like the

I see what you are getting at but I think that would make it too easy. True in real life we can look up combine info on all players however unlike madden that may not translate to on field success. I like that it is now difficult to draft and that I have to take chances and occasionally pick a "bust".

I have been able to piece together some fairly good draft classes using the standard scouting. Not like last year when I could usually get 10 guys with A potential's each year.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:04 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: a scouting alternative the gives you every players combine results, just like the

They need to make the scouting system way better.
They need to go back and get all the features from NFL Headcoach and put them into madden. Head Coach was tons of fun when you were scouting and doing moves in the offseason. The gameplay sucked but everything else was great.

The head coach system was great for scouting.
They would give you a range of what the players overall was which is pretty realistic. Of course you know NFL teams aren't given a players potential overall but they know how good a player is even if they don't scout him.
An example is like of course the Patriots aren't out there scouting Andrew Luck because they already have Brady but the do know how good he is. Scouting in real life is basically just getting a better understanding of how good a player is and how good he can be.

This scouting system is terrible and super unrealistic. Like we are scouting in the dark. Why would a player be projected to be a top 5 pick if he isn't as good as somebody in the 5th round.

A good example of what I'm talking about would be like when the Raiders drafted Russell. Nobody can say that physically Russell did not have what is takes to be a great QB. So on the game a player like Russell would start off with a very high top number that would infer that he could be really good. Like if they started scouting Russel they would understand that the top number was way too high because Russell was lazy and wouldn't work hard to realize his potential.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:38 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

I think that would cause the same issue. Just because an NFL team scouts somebody doesn't mean they know how he is going to perform. Guys like Ryan Leaf, Alex Smith, Peter Warrick, Matt Leinart, Cedric Benson, Akili Smith and Troy Williamson, just to name a few, were all highly scouted top 10 picks who never played well. Then of course their are the other players that never scout great, get picked in the late rounds and are perennial pro bowl talent players.

Maybe if they could incorporate something like busts into the draft so you have a certain % chance of the player you scouted never progressing or surpassing potential or something like that. The traits are a good start so maybe they can add a work ethic or something similar.

Either way no matter what they do with scouting for offline franchises we are still drafting against computers that follow a set of programmed rules which are too easy to predict. I would personally like them to error on the side of the draft being harder than super easy like previous years.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:18 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricrane13
I think that would cause the same issue. Just because an NFL team scouts somebody doesn't mean they know how he is going to perform. Guys like Ryan Leaf, Alex Smith, Peter Warrick, Matt Leinart, Cedric Benson, Akili Smith and Troy Williamson, just to name a few, were all highly scouted top 10 picks who never played well. Then of course their are the other players that never scout great, get picked in the late rounds and are perennial pro bowl talent players.

Maybe if they could incorporate something like busts into the draft so you have a certain % chance of the player you scouted never progressing or surpassing potential or something like that. The traits are a good start so maybe they can add a work ethic or something similar.

Either way no matter what they do with scouting for offline franchises we are still drafting against computers that follow a set of programmed rules which are too easy to predict. I would personally like them to error on the side of the draft being harder than super easy like previous years.
They do have busts, just because a player has a first round grade doesn't mean he's going have A potential and a good overall.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »