Home

Tips for the passing game

This is a discussion on Tips for the passing game within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-11-2011, 11:52 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Tips for the passing game

Currently, I'm running with an All-Pro difficulty with adjusted AI sliders (AI QB accuracy has been increased, AI pass coverage slightly decreased). I play with the Titans.

I can easily win if I run 20 times with Chris Johnson (racking up 150+ yards in the process). The AI isn't too smart on offense; they can run well enough against me, but don't call the right plays 75% of the time and aren't consistent. Winning isn't a problem, but I can't pass worth a darn most of the time.

My main two problems are as follows:

1. Go routes are nearly impossible. My receivers barely gain any kind of separation; if they do, it's usually in the slot (and here, super linebackers are a problem). If I lob to a receiver on the sidelines in man coverage, the psychic DB often bats it down since my receiver doesn't like to jump. Or, by the time the ball reaches the receiver, two or three other defenders (who weren't originally in the area) will make their way to the ball.

2. Super linebackers. Far too many times I'll find a receiver open in the middle of the fielder, throw a bullet (which in any other game would reach him), and it's tipped by a linebacker who shouldn't be able to reach it.

Any tips?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2011, 12:09 PM   #2
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Tips for the passing game

Well, you really have to pay attention to passing lanes. If a guy is in it either lob it or it gets batted down. Also directional passing works too. Something else that helps is use short high percentage passes to get your qbs accuracy up then try longer passes. Do you use Matt Hasselbeck or Jake Locker? I'm assuming your using Tennessee btw.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisismytemporaryusername
Well, you really have to pay attention to passing lanes. If a guy is in it either lob it or it gets batted down. Also directional passing works too. Something else that helps is use short high percentage passes to get your qbs accuracy up then try longer passes. Do you use Matt Hasselbeck or Jake Locker? I'm assuming your using Tennessee btw.
At the moment, Hassselbeck. But I'm thinking of using Locker as I'm at week 6.

The only problem with lobbing on passes in the middle of the field - it takes the ball longer to get to the receiver, which raises the chance of an interception.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:55 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 25

I never lob for short routes, only when my receiver has the defense beat going deep. For short routes, I usually bullet passes.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:41 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

I've gone through one season in franchise with the Bears on all-pro, no adjustments. I had like 15 picks and 3 tds and maybe 1500 yards with Cutler. My receivers wouldn't get no seperation. Always getting tipped by LB's and whatever else you have mentioned. I restarted my franchise since the new rosters have been released, same thing in 2 games of preseason. I went in and turned my game speed up to fast and since then I have been doing a lot better in the pass game and run game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2011, 05:49 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

I also had a lot of trouble in my 1st season with line backers making crazy plays (i had 40 TDs and 31 INTs with brady)

I started using arizona's playbook and my INTs have gone way down, stack the receivers and choose a post route where they cross eachother, safety goes to one WR and i just throw it to the other

short out routes and slants work well too ( as long as its infront of the LBs or inbetween them and just throw it high ( a lot of the time i get the animation where my WR gets hit in the air around the waist and gets brought down but keeps control of the ball)

Ive seen some people suggesting to slow down the game play from 'Normal' to 'Slow' but i havent tried it yet
Old 09-11-2011, 06:53 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

Your best bet if you want to increase your ability to throw the ball deep is to:
1- lower the speed threshold to somewhere around 15-25. It will make your faster players get more seperation from the defense.
2- pick your spots. you have to learn to recognize coverages and know when you can throw to certain routes. Cover 2 allows a lot of seam routes, Cover 3 you can get away with deep outs, and man you should try drag routes or curl routes.
3- run the ball a bit before you try to launch it. you said in your OP you can easily run with CJ2K, so get the defense to worry about him, and go PA to try and suck the defense in.

I have played about a season's worth of games so far and from what i can tell, its possible to have big pass plays, and to avoid unnecessary INTs. as for the super LBs, just learn to use the directional pad, lob, or look for another option if you think it'll get knocked down.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:01 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

im in week 15 of my 2nd season i play on all pro i mostly use short passes my qb dont have good dac but i use drags slants curls in and out routes if u try and figure out what coverage the defense is in it helps let u know waht routes have a good chance of getting open the problem i have is my oline think they r bull fighters i have had some luck with playaction but its hit and miss with it for me i hardly pass for more than 120-150 yards i pass about 15-20 times and i run about 20-25 times a game

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »