Home

I'm seeing alot of big special teams plays in real life...

This is a discussion on I'm seeing alot of big special teams plays in real life... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-13-2011, 09:18 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 4
Ran a KO back with Dez, then took one back to the 5 as well later in the same game. Default sliders all pro.

On, On, On, To Victory!!

Gamertag: stewgilligan
Old 09-13-2011, 09:24 PM   #18
MVP

TMJOHNS18's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: I'm seeing alot of big special teams plays in real life...

I think the biggest problem is that EA has made all players run max out as if they are in a crowd. What I mean by this is, when you hit turbo you hit your max speed, regardless of if your going straight, cutting, etc., your max speed in the open or between the tackles is identical.

If EA would trully "get rid of the sprint button," and have players run full speed and adjust while doing cuts, jukes, spins, and then add in a "burst" button where the sprint is and when you hold it down you're extremely limited to being able to control your player unless they are extremely agile, which is only in the elite of the elite players.

Best example I can give of this is when you see guys get in the open and separate. You don't see this in Madden unless you lower the threshold and even then it's not correct because I don't need AP running 100mph through a hole and once he gets in the open he keeps the same pace he did when he was zigging and zaging.

I think kick returns and punt returns would be greatly increased with a burst/all out/whatever button because returners can be so dynamic because they can get a head of steam built up that you normally never see on regular plays. Look at punt returners who make 1 or 2 guys miss and they have that cushion to get going full speed and after that most people can't adjust their angles in time.

Also, you see it on kickoffs, when the returner just plows into his own guy or the coverage. It's not because he's blind, he's just running fast enough that if a hole closes he can't make a cut to avoid. Yet in Madden, I can take off running and after 5 yards I'm at full speed and can run around in circles, spin, whatever and I never loose full mobility.

Not the best example, but I like how in Fifa if you sprint you loose a lot of ball control and can loose possession easily if you are not careful. If the Madden guys worked on Fifa, you could sprint with the ball and still avoid all challenges.

Last edited by TMJOHNS18; 09-13-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:53 PM   #19
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTee86
I find that KRs are tuned just about right, I've had the CPU almost return one of me because of some bad coverage. Have taken back 2-3 returns for a TD with Harvin on kick-offs. But man, that punt-returning is rough, my best is a 40-50 yard return. On average I find I get less than 10-15 punt return yards a game.

I wish I had better punt coverage, even with max coverage I find it difficult for my guys to get off their blocks and the CPU return man has 10 return yards automatically sometimes.
10-15 punt yards is actually much higher than average, I'd say you're doing a fine job.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:05 AM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 2

That's comforting then. One day I'm gonna return one for a TD with Marcus Sherels.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:02 AM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMJOHNS18
I think the biggest problem is that EA has made all players run max out as if they are in a crowd. What I mean by this is, when you hit turbo you hit your max speed, regardless of if your going straight, cutting, etc., your max speed in the open or between the tackles is identical.

If EA would trully "get rid of the sprint button," and have players run full speed and adjust while doing cuts, jukes, spins, and then add in a "burst" button where the sprint is and when you hold it down you're extremely limited to being able to control your player unless they are extremely agile, which is only in the elite of the elite players.

I agree with this. Lots of guys are really fast, but the special kick returners have that obscene BURST when they see the hole, that they blow right by everyone and nobody can change their angles fast enough.

watch Ginn's return from Sunday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix9PIejFux8

He cuts back at the 15 and sees that he has the corner, and at about 8 seconds into the video he hits that burst, and none of the Seahawks can move and react quick enough to stop him.

This PR from Hester: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQEZ-1kImQA , he goes right, sees a lane, and blows right through it and he's gone.

One cut running backs operate the same way too: they identify the hole in the defensive line, and burst through it.

The top end speed, when my player is out in the open field and racing towards the end zone, should always be there. But I want to be able to control when my player "bursts" through a lane on the field.

Basically, I don't want to have to handle the "nos", but I do want to be able to throw it from 5th into 4th and blow by people.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2011, 06:24 AM   #22
MVP

infemous's Arena

OVR: 6

LOVING TMJOHN's suggestion.

Really needs to be implemented.

My point.

Kick return blocking is good, I can sometimes make the return, but it's not a given any more like it was on M11. If you get the hole and your returner is fast enough, and maybe has some moves or can break tackles, you can get good returns. In addition to this the gunners actually stick to their assignment and don't just blindly chase the ball. This is another reason as to why there are less Kick off returns and it is improved.

The issue is with Punt Returns. The blockers don't turn around fast enough and set themselves to block, when they do, they let the guy run past them without trying to make a block. It seems as if the punting team's AI is good enough to stop every punt return being a TD, but the returning team's AI isn't good enough to let it counter that.
No matter the user skill, if you get hit like 4 times you're not gonna get more than 3 yards on a return, and what's worse, means fumbles on punt returns are too common. It seems the only way is to call a fair catch every time...

The CPU really needs to improve it's returning AI. They just aren't a threat on special teams AT ALL.
Also, CPU punting, regardless of the punter (I've played vs McBriar, Lechler and Lee) cannot pin you deep at all. Any punt coming from my half (CPU opponent's half)/ beyond the 50, will end up in the endzone, or they'll kick it like 15 yards. The AI and CPU seem unable, regardless of punter ability, to accurately punt the ball.
This includes getting hangtime for gunners to chase, aiming for corners, punting deep etc.

The amount of times I've seen punters from their ten try and angle a kick out of bounds and subsequently give it to me at their 35 is frustrating, because a huge aspect of the NFL is redundant vs CPU. Field position is one of the most interesting battles in the NFL, and to have points handed to you regardless of the ability of the punter is wrong.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »