Home

Run Route should affect Speed, not Awareness

This is a discussion on Run Route should affect Speed, not Awareness within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-13-2011, 01:21 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Run Route should affect Speed, not Awareness

I was reading the article with 'Bob', how he says Acceleration is tied into the Awareness rating to slow down a fast player. Why not have the Route Run rating slow down the fast player. Have the player be slow when he is running his route, but if he catches the ball his speed comes into effect.

If you have a guy with 99 Speed but he has 57 Run Route. He would run the route slower and not move at his fast 99 Speed. The 99 Speed shouldn't come into effect until AFTER he has caught the ball.

Scrap the Awareness rating, its useless. For Quarterbacks, just add two new ratings: Read Coverage (obviously a CPU rating, ability to read defenses) and Composure (ability to throw while under pressure)

But let the Run Route dictate the speed of the game, not the player's speed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 9
Re: Run Route should affect Speed, not Awareness

have to disagree. His speed would affect his route. If he's 99 speed I'd expect him to always outrun a slower DB in his patterns. I think awareness ties in better. A less "football smart" WR would run less precise routes or more importantly fail to adjust his route to what's happening around him...ie. get the first down etc.

If interested these are my Madden 12 sliders: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...dden-12-a.html
Old 09-13-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhyankees
have to disagree. His speed would affect his route. If he's 99 speed I'd expect him to always outrun a slower DB in his patterns. I think awareness ties in better. A less "football smart" WR would run less precise routes or more importantly fail to adjust his route to what's happening around him...ie. get the first down etc.
So what you said completely agrees with him.

"running less precise route" in video game equals out to less speed. A 99 guy running a precise route is getting there faster than a 99 guy running an imprecise route. Route running would account for this difference.

Awareness means nothing and is a universal rating that, from all my years of Madden, I've never actually seen come into play.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:47 PM   #4
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

This is how it should be IMO:

Route Running = How precise the route is run (straight line vs. curved line)
Route Running + Agility = Breaking out of route and turns
Route Running + Acceleration = Time to reach top speed during route while untouched
Route Running + Strength = Ability to stay on route while being contacted or pressed by defenders
Release + Strength = Ability to beat press defense

Furthermore, the Acceleration rating needs to be stretched much further among players from the current 60-99 rating scale being used and needs to have a far greater impact on the animations. The only time I see players realistically accelerate and gain speed are when players come from a standstill before the snap. If you take a player who is already in motion, they pretty much hit top speed instantly due to the herky jerky animations in this game.

If there was a realistic amount of physicality and contact in the game, then speed would have less of an impact. It's absurd that HB's can go so far without being touched in Madden. There are no reach out grabs or tackle attempts by defensive linemen or linebackers, no ankle tackle attempts by passing defenders, and rarely a need for a ball carrier to evade their own blockers/linemen who should be closing blocks out by putting someone on the ground.

In the passing game, there's far too little physical play from CB's and the WR never gets creative with their route when impeded. If a WR is pushed off of their route in the real world, then they typically break their route off and improvise to get open. In Madden, they just continue to run full speed while the defender mirrors them down the entire field.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:49 PM   #5
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmnm247
Awareness means nothing and is a universal rating that, from all my years of Madden, I've never actually seen come into play.
Awareness used to be the universal rating that Madden devs used to hide their AI flaws. If you had a player with high AWR, then they seemingly did everything right and their physical traits became meaningless.

I think this has changed after Madden 10 because I remember Ian and Co. coming on here and addressing that issue by saying that AWR would only have significant impact on the sim engine from then on.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

a bad route running rating should only affect his ability to get away from the corner... ie, faking him out etc. the corner would be able to predict his routes better... i played receiver in high school and i was pretty fast but sucked at route running so the slower corners were normally able to stay with me because of good positioning
Old 09-13-2011, 02:53 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans989
a bad route running rating should only affect his ability to get away from the corner... ie, faking him out etc. the corner would be able to predict his routes better... i played receiver in high school and i was pretty fast but sucked at route running so the slower corners were normally able to stay with me because of good positioning
agreed
10char

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »