Home

The problem with the new Super Star Mode

This is a discussion on The problem with the new Super Star Mode within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-14-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
Rookie

DUDERMAN's Arena

OVR: 0
The problem with the new Super Star Mode

Player: Michael Black, CB #30 (wanted #24)
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 200 lbs
College: Penn State
Drafted by: Saints

Year 2, week 14

Career Numbers:
Tackles: 72
Assists: 36
Sacks: 1
INT: 9
FF: 5
FR: 0
Def TD: 1

Ratings:
OVR: 99

STR: 99
AGI: 99
SPD: 99
ACC: 99
AWR: 99
CTH: 99
CAR: 99
TAK: 99
JMP: 99
RET: 99
TRK: 99
BCV: 99
ELU: 99
SFA: 99
SPM: 99
JKM: 99
PMV: 99
FMV: 99
BSH: 99
PUR: 99
PRC: 99
MCV: 99
ZCV: 99
PRS: 99
SPC: 99
CIT: 99
POW: 99
INJ: 99
STA: 99
TGH: 99

The new point system is a good start but it is currently too easy to level up your guy and gives no incentive to go on once you max everything out (which doesn't take long at all).

I've been in the minority that has always enjoyed Super Star to an extent. I like that they put a little bit of work into it this year but it's still off.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to how many points you receive in a game/practice. I have gotten more points when I gave up two touchdowns than I did when I picked off two passes and took one to the house.

The points should be given based on your performance. So example, as a corner, if I get a pick I should get a certain amount of points to add to Catch, Man, Zone, etc. If I make a tackle, I should get points specifically for Tackle, Hit Power, Block Shedding, etc.

Beyond that, this mode lacks much more. Combine workouts, Mini camps, Free agency, Fight for the starting job, Team leader bonuses (was once in the mode), Contract signing, the ability to change your number (how on earth has this NEVER made the the mode?!)...

If you have any more suggestions, please add them.

Overall, the mode was fun enough to last me nearly two seasons but unfortunately, the fun ends there.

Eagles | Phillies | Flyers | Sixers
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2011, 12:05 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: The problem with the new Super Star Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDERMAN
Player: Michael Black, CB #30 (wanted #24)
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 200 lbs
College: Penn State
Drafted by: Saints

Year 2, week 14

Career Numbers:
Tackles: 72
Assists: 36
Sacks: 1
INT: 9
FF: 5
FR: 0
Def TD: 1

Ratings:
OVR: 99

STR: 99
AGI: 99
SPD: 99
ACC: 99
AWR: 99
CTH: 99
CAR: 99
TAK: 99
JMP: 99
RET: 99
TRK: 99
BCV: 99
ELU: 99
SFA: 99
SPM: 99
JKM: 99
PMV: 99
FMV: 99
BSH: 99
PUR: 99
PRC: 99
MCV: 99
ZCV: 99
PRS: 99
SPC: 99
CIT: 99
POW: 99
INJ: 99
STA: 99
TGH: 99

The new point system is a good start but it is currently too easy to level up your guy and gives no incentive to go on once you max everything out (which doesn't take long at all).

I've been in the minority that has always enjoyed Super Star to an extent. I like that they put a little bit of work into it this year but it's still off.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to how many points you receive in a game/practice. I have gotten more points when I gave up two touchdowns than I did when I picked off two passes and took one to the house.

The points should be given based on your performance. So example, as a corner, if I get a pick I should get a certain amount of points to add to Catch, Man, Zone, etc. If I make a tackle, I should get points specifically for Tackle, Hit Power, Block Shedding, etc.

Beyond that, this mode lacks much more. Combine workouts, Mini camps, Free agency, Fight for the starting job, Team leader bonuses (was once in the mode), Contract signing, the ability to change your number (how on earth has this NEVER made the the mode?!)...

If you have any more suggestions, please add them.

Overall, the mode was fun enough to last me nearly two seasons but unfortunately, the fun ends there.
all though I haven;t tried the superstar mode on madden yet On ncaa's road to glory I am a de and I got negitive points when I caused a fumble and returned it for a touch down. Not sure why that is but madden must do the same when you get more points when they score on you than when you turn a pick 6.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:56 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

Well, always loved Superstar and RTG as well. But the cameras you can choose just kill the mode. I just wnat the old camera views back, where you at least somehow got the feeling you're down on the field. At least all last gen games had them on Madden...
Old 09-14-2011, 02:09 PM   #4
All Star

Lieutenant Dan's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside63
Well, always loved Superstar and RTG as well. But the cameras you can choose just kill the mode. I just wnat the old camera views back, where you at least somehow got the feeling you're down on the field. At least all last gen games had them on Madden...
Yes, I liked the camera in Madden 07 (360) a lot, especially playing DB or safety. Felt much more connected to the action.

Superstar mode, for me, was the best in Madden 07. I played it for HOURS..like a football RPG. The current version just is not immersive at all to me. Everything that it had, it needs back in.

OS Dibs: Anna Kendrick

Elite Dangerous on One X has become my life.

Proud PS5 and Xbox Series X Owner
"Best of Both Worlds"
Old 09-14-2011, 05:34 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 22

It's pretty boring this year, big disappointment after i spent countless hours on my rtg.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2011, 05:41 PM   #6
Rookie

deathsai's Arena

OVR: 2

pretty sure EA never really intends for Superstar to actually be played by anyone.
Tampa Bay Lightning
UCF Knights
Old 09-15-2011, 07:23 AM   #7
Rookie

DUDERMAN's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieutenant Dan
Yes, I liked the camera in Madden 07 (360) a lot, especially playing DB or safety. Felt much more connected to the action.

Superstar mode, for me, was the best in Madden 07. I played it for HOURS..like a football RPG. The current version just is not immersive at all to me. Everything that it had, it needs back in.
I agree 100%. Unfortunately, EA tries to appeal more to the casual gamers than the hardcore/devoted fanbase.

They did the same thing with team play last year and this year. In Madden 10, the coop mode had the close up camera behind the player like the old superstar mode. In Madden 11 team play, they moved the camera back because the other view was "too hard" for people. Now in Madden 12 team play, they ditched the different cameras all together and what you're left with is your boring every playnow/franchise camera view. Not to mention they add the "defensive assist" button... do we really need EA to hold our hands while playing a video game?

I get trying to make modes more appealing to a broader audience but from what I have seen, it has not succeeded in that. It just makes the mode less appealing to those that actually did play them.

Eagles | Phillies | Flyers | Sixers
Old 09-15-2011, 07:33 AM   #8
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by truffleshuffle
all though I haven;t tried the superstar mode on madden yet On ncaa's road to glory I am a de and I got negitive points when I caused a fumble and returned it for a touch down. Not sure why that is but madden must do the same when you get more points when they score on you than when you turn a pick 6.
My theory is you learn more from your mistakes than from your succeesses in real life. Maybe Madden tried to emulate that. True to the Game. I just hate when plays I'm not even involved in, I gain or lose points. Seems incredibly random. I do like the fact that practices mean something now but if you practice everytime you get too good too fast.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »