Home

Can someone explain this to me - Texans Defence

This is a discussion on Can someone explain this to me - Texans Defence within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2011, 08:57 AM   #1
Pro

T5063's Arena

OVR: 2
Can someone explain this to me - Texans Defence

I've played a few a few games with the Texans (with gameflow) and I've noticed something strange in their defence.

When they line up with four players on the line, instead of lining up the usual RE, DT, DT, LE they line up OLB,RE,LE,OLB. I checked the depth chart and everything is normal with DTs at the DT spots but I'm still getting the above mentioned formation.

When there is three players on the line I get the expected RE, DT, LE formation.

I'm guessing this is a defensive scheme thats set up for the Kubiak playbook and not a glitch. Can anyone with more football knowledge confirm this?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2011, 09:08 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Can someone explain this to me - Texans Defence

Whats more likley due to rapid defensive fatigue in this game, is that when you do play that formation, your DT's may be resting and as most 3-4 teams only have 2 NT's on depth chart your DE's will play the middle.

Just a thought
Old 09-15-2011, 09:12 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

It's the correct line-up. You're in a 2-4 Nickle. It's a pass defense formation, so puts your pass rushers up front and takes out your slower nose tackle.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:25 AM   #4
Pro

T5063's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roncatto
Whats more likley due to rapid defensive fatigue in this game, is that when you do play that formation, your DT's may be resting and as most 3-4 teams only have 2 NT's on depth chart your DE's will play the middle.

Just a thought
I don't think its fatigue because this happens from the very first defensive play when everyone is at 100% stamina. I also have 4 DTs on my depth chart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richieh
It's the correct line-up. You're in a 2-4 Nickle. It's a pass defense formation, so puts your pass rushers up front and takes out your slower nose tackle.
Thanks. I'm gonna look up the 2-4 Nickle. I've played multiple games with other teams (Vikings, Jaguars and Bengals) and apparently they all run a 4-3 defence. The Texans run 3-4 so thats why it feels/looks different for me.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:30 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4

I also noticed this playing in practice (which doesn't have fatigue). I was surprised but just figured it was their defensive scheme, since it put their best players on the field.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2011, 09:45 AM   #6
Rookie

It is the 2-4-5 defense under nickel formation. It pushes J.J. Watt and Antonio Smith inside, those are the normal DEs in the 3-4. Then puts Barwin/Reed and Super Mario down on the outside.

This also could be the deadliest combo on defensive line after this next update, just throwing that out there.

TCU Class of 2014!

NCAA --- TCU Horned Frogs & Texas A&M Aggies
NFL --- Houston Texans
MLB --- Texas Rangers
NHL --- Dallas Stars
NBA --- Dallas Mavericks
Old 09-15-2011, 09:49 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

The Texans are actually using this formation in passing situations, so Madden got this one right.

They spin Watt and Antonio to DT and Mario and Barwin to DE and it is actually pretty nasty.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:50 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by llcmac
I also noticed this playing in practice (which doesn't have fatigue). I was surprised but just figured it was their defensive scheme, since it put their best players on the field.
Roll with this, as mentioned above, you're in a 2-4-5 (2 DL, 4 LB's, and 5 DB's). Since 3-4 teams don't have traditional 4-3 DE pass rushers, their OLB's rotae down to DE, and since 3-4 DE's are usally 4-3 DT's they rotate inside to create the 3-4 base version of the 4-3 Nickel defense.

Madden included a lot of "pre-sub" packages, basically we used to have to do a formation sub to create formations like this (LB Pass Rush)
, now many of the teams have the sub packages as base formations.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »