Home

How do I get my D to attack scrambling qbs?

This is a discussion on How do I get my D to attack scrambling qbs? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-17-2011, 10:28 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 19
Re: How do I get my D to attack scrambling qbs?

It's not broken or in need of a Patch.

Take a look at your Run Defense Reaction Time Slider, as it dictates how fast players recognize a run.

I have mine at 100% for both so they attack immediately with lowered Block Shedding to prevent blockers getting thrown aside as soon as the ball carrier is near them.

Guys play their coverages, but react to scrambles accordingly.

Also helps on PA plays (depending on Def Player's attributes) as the Def plays run fakes.

The other thing is that folks got to remember that this is an EA Football Game which means "Speed" is King and that their Default Rosters (as usual) have player's Speed Ratings jacked way too high. (QB's are simply rated way too fast)

You "Must/Will" need to get an edited Roster set or do it yourself if you really want to enjoy the game.

The "Vick" factor is applied to too many QB's in EA's Pro game.

Just because there is a lane open, doesn't mean the QB should be scrambling like he's still in college!!!

I've edited most QB's Tuck-n-Run Trait to "Rarely" along with "Paranoid or Oblivious" and "Throw Ball Away" so they attempt to throw more than trying to act like Vick.

Some still attempt to scramble when the pocket is broken with occasional 2-3 yrd gains due to the Def closing speed.

Again, tinker with your Rush Def Reactions Time Slider to get what your looking for.

Last edited by khaliib; 09-17-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:35 AM   #18
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkcil
Ev'body knows exactly what you mean. It's like the LBs are "frozen" in their zones until the QB gets beyond the line of scrimmage and then some...maybe something that can be patched but I doubt they will.

I see this too. Theoretically sliders for pass reaction or run reaction should fix this....not sure they do. I've just learned to live with it. The only thing I find that helps alittle is when the QB breaks I try to switch to a DLineman and get off my block. Also I spy the qB myself. I call the spy D and take over the spy. I hover about 5-10 yards from the LOS. I notice that once the QB starts dancing around in the pocket, he's going to take off so I try to get in position. BTW a 2-3 yard gain is considered acceptable in the NFL. (think about this....the other team is trying to pass and ends up with a 3 yard game...I'll take that every time.) To be fair my DL has caught guys behind the line sometimes when they tried to run. It's just that we only remember the times he get's away.

If interested these are my Madden 12 sliders: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...dden-12-a.html

Last edited by mjhyankees; 09-17-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:44 AM   #19
Banned

MileHighSalute30's Arena

OVR: 10
Run defense reaction sliders have no effect on scrambling qbs. I too have have had d lineman catch a qb from behind when he pulls it down and takes off, but a mlb or safety spying just will not move until the qb is 3 yards down field. That is unacceptable, as spying the qb IMO is broken.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk

Last edited by MileHighSalute30; 09-17-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:23 AM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighSalute30
Surely this will get patched in the first go around. I guess the M12 devs aren't frequenting these boards much anymore, so I'm unsure how to get this to their attention.
I like having to to gameplan for mobil QB's. As others have said, spy and/or user an LB is effective. So far only QB's I have seen take on a defender have been Vick, Newton and Tebow. Others will tuck and run but not often and after reviewing replays, not unrealistically to me.

I have experienced delayed reaction to scrambling QB's and have been burned on a few occasions depending on the play call but thats football. I have also gotten many sacks usering an LB and most times if the QB gets past the LOS it's 5 yard or less. Longest runs so far have been Cam Newton, 12 and 16 yds in same game and Micheal Vick got me for 13 yds once. Blaine Gabbert got me once for 21 yds, after crossing the LOS closest defender was on opposite sideline and Gabbert slid as soon as he got to my SS.

Madden 12 has a lot of annoying issues butI am pretty happy with gameplay. I like the pumped up defense and the added possibility of a QB taking off. I would be very dissapointed in a tuner set or patch that turned M12 back into M11 where QB's never run and I could pass for 300+ yds using Jarrod21 All Madden sliders.

BTW, I'm a huge Bronco's fan, love the Mile High Salute vid
Old 09-17-2011, 11:27 AM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhyankees
I see this too. Theoretically sliders for pass reaction or run reaction should fix this....not sure they do. I've just learned to live with it. The only thing I find that helps alittle is when the QB breaks I try to switch to a DLineman and get off my block. Also I spy the qB myself. I call the spy D and take over the spy. I hover about 5-10 yards from the LOS. I notice that once the QB starts dancing around in the pocket, he's going to take off so I try to get in position. BTW a 2-3 yard gain is considered acceptable in the NFL. (think about this....the other team is trying to pass and ends up with a 3 yard game...I'll take that every time.) To be fair my DL has caught guys behind the line sometimes when they tried to run. It's just that we only remember the times he get's away.
"It's just that we only remember the times he gets away"
Well said sir, well said
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2011, 01:16 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighSalute30
Run defense reaction sliders have no effect on scrambling qbs. I too have have had d lineman catch a qb from behind when he pulls it down and takes off, but a mlb or safety spying just will not move until the qb is 3 yards down field. That is unacceptable, as spying the qb IMO is broken.
Maybe if you note what you've done slider/ratings etc... thus far, the community might be able to help without re-suggesting things (that others feel work) that you don't see as a fix to your issue.

From your responses thus far, I'm curious to what's the purpose of you posting this thread if you've already tried everything and feel nothing works?

Oh well, I'll just back out!
Have a good one!!!
Old 09-17-2011, 03:11 PM   #23
Banned

MileHighSalute30's Arena

OVR: 10
Basically it needs a patch IMO. Obviously I've tried sliders, as that's always what we look to first when we have an issue with something. This was an issue that was present in the demo, and ea said it wouldn't ship that way. And it did.

Good lord some of you are waaaay too sensitive over nothing. I appreciate the help really. Sorry I actually tried all of the obvious solutions before I made a thread asking for help....

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »