Home

Someone explain this potential thing to me

This is a discussion on Someone explain this potential thing to me within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-20-2011, 12:17 PM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Someone explain this potential thing to me

I've been reading all these responses - and this is one of those times that I honestly think the arguments on both side of this make sense.......I guess that's why it's an issue without an "easy fix".

Because of this - personally, I think the biggest problem with this is with the CPU.

As others mentioned, as the User, you can choose to ignore the ratings to some extent. You can make decisions based on performance or like in the OP's example, you can put up numbers that far exceed what the OVR rating would indicate.

So to me a bigger issue is the CPU managing rosters seemingly based off these numbers and not taking performance into account.
An example I've seen is with the Jets. In one of my franchises they were one of the worst teams in the league for 3 straight years. Kind of surprising - but then I'd watch the numbers and Mark Sanchez was the worst QB in the league. I'm talking QB rating in the 60's and 20+ Int's a year. The CPU obviously kept running him out there because he had an 89 rating. Granted, as a 1st round guy the Jets would give him more than a fair chance to turn things around......but when you see situations like this it really ruins the immersion.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2011, 09:14 PM   #42
Banned

OVR: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
In real life, it is predetermined. That's realistic. I have a certain potential that I can not exceed. Every athlete does as well. Now how a persons potential is perceived by others is a different story. The athletes in the game should have a hard potential cap, but how accurately that potential is perceived by the game should depend on how good your GM, Scouts and Coaches are at evaluating talent and how much of that player you have seen, how much he has played in the NFL and how much he has played for your team. The more he plays the more accurate his perceived potential should be. How close a player gets to his potential should be determined by his work ethic, the coaches ability to teach, and playing time. That's realism.

Predetermined, capped potential, should exist with each and every player. No one has unlimited potential.
Give me a break. Potential is Not predetermined. I can list several examples of late round draft picks or undrafted players who had great nfl careers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2011, 01:09 AM   #43
Rookie

sorry if i'm (re)posting something posted elsewhere but we can edit players in franchise this year

if you don't like the progression system that they put in - you can do your own

I think the system is alright and for situations like Lawfirm above (i had a similar one with Antonio Smith breaking the sack record) then i just bump them myself

i'm just glad madden finally gave me the control to handles things myself
Old 09-21-2011, 04:20 AM   #44
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortobc
Give me a break. Potential is Not predetermined. I can list several examples of late round draft picks or undrafted players who had great nfl careers.

All those players had the equivalent of Madden A potential. It just wasn't realised at the time, hence being drafted late or not drafted. That's why potential ratings are hidden during scouting now, to enable Madden to better replicate this.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:49 AM   #45
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boling4Humor
What about the players who don't really ever touch the football though. I had Orton over Tebow in an old franchise and when the next season came Tebow increased 7 points overall. He never even touched the football that season.

I can understand if he was behind a future hall of fame QB. Sort of like the Brett Favre & Aaron Rodgers scenario, but this is Orton we're talking about. It's not the coaching staff either so lets not go there.
Just had that happen to me. I drafted a rookie wide out who was a 77 over all and he got hurt for the season on first game.After the end of the season when they progressed all the players he some how ended up at 81 overall with out ever even getting a ball thorwn to him.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2011, 10:07 AM   #46
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:

Totally irrelavent. Those players ALWAYS had the potential. Draft round means DODO. It was there perceived potential that was too low by evaluators. EVERYONE has a max potential. You can ONLY run so fast. You have a max agility and strength, etc. EVERYONE has a max potential. What round someone is drafted depends on what their perceived potential is by those doing evaluations. Sorry, but you are dead wrong.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:54 PM   #47
MVP

mavfan21's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:

Exactly....that's why in the Madden draft classes there are a handful of A and B potential players after round 4.

The game gets the realism right.

Likewise there's a few C/D potential 1st rounders because that happens in real life. No matter how they've tried the Niners couldn't turn Alex Smith into a great player, same for Jamarcus Russell, Felix Jones, Mike Mamula, etc...

The game nails realism by capping potential.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:34 PM   #48
Rookie

brettford's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rymflaherty
I've been reading all these responses - and this is one of those times that I honestly think the arguments on both side of this make sense.......I guess that's why it's an issue without an "easy fix".
I disagree...I don't see how both sides of this debate make sense. Let me try to illustrate why.

What if I said my argument is that during timeouts you should be able to fly an X-wing around the stadium and shoot at the other team because 1) I think it would be fun and 2) it would suit my preference for what I would like to do during timeouts.

Why would this X-wing timeout feature never appear in the game? Well...because it does not capture the real NFL. In the real NFL, X-wings don't start attacking players during timeouts.

Back to this argument... Just because some people like the idea of taking a player, generating huge stats with them, and having them improve as a result...it shouldn't be included in the game. Why? Because it does not capture the real NFL.

If it doesn't capture the real NFL, then I don't understand how the argument has any merit.

It comes down to cause-effect. Player ability vs. stats. If I hand the ball off to my RB and he hits a hole and breaks off a 70 yard TD run you have to ask yourself....Is he getting better at football as he is running down the field, racking up yards crossing the goal line? In other words, as he reaches the 30 yard line is he better at football than he was at the snap? As he reaches the 1 yard line, are his football skills improved relative to when he was crossing the 30? And as he takes the last step into the endzone, is he a better player than he was when he was at the 1 yard line? After all, he now has one more touchdown.

If people want to make the argument that stats should impact performance...(even slightly!)...then you MUST be able to make the preceding argument.

The game's mandate is clearly to emulate the NFL as it exists, not the way some people want it to exist.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »