Home

Your Opinion On Madden 12's Gameplay

This is a discussion on Your Opinion On Madden 12's Gameplay within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: How satisfactory is Madden 12 to your standards?
Far Superior 6 11.32%
Just Above 14 26.42%
On Par 8 15.09%
Lacking 18 33.96%
Way Off 4 7.55%
Not any where close. 3 5.66%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-22-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Your Opinion On Madden 12's Gameplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnoranceIsBliss
True the offensive side of the ball is improved. But in my viewing the defensive side is full of mistakes. First off the corners at times run in front of receivers and make non-since bat downs or interception when not looking. Second off safeties are only suppose to turn their back on the QB to break towards the ball or if someone runs past them. Thirdly the linebackers are given too much jumping ability and reaction time in the pass. Finally there is really no distinction between star players and throwaway's. And to mask bad defensive coverage they had to ramp up the pass rush and player Predator Awareness. In my view it's far better than prior Madden's but it's not close what you see on Sunday.
I'm an offline player, so putting pass reaction down to 0 helps this a lot, a least for me and others.

The pass trajectories are to low as well. Fix that and that will help as well.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:41 PM   #10
MVP

mburke2's Arena

OVR: 8

I voted "just above" because this is the best version of Madden I've played since last gen. I'm loving the running game this year, I find it realistic and challenging which is what I want. But the passing game, defense, and special teams leave a bit to be desired. If they could fix these 3 things I'd be completely and utterly satisfied with the game
  • Pass trajectories- this would eliminate many of the "super LB" instances we have because the passes would have more height and be able to be dropped in over the LBs heads.
  • WR/DB play- this covers a few things, mainly WR aggressiveness going after passes, and DBs having to actually look at the ball to make a play on it and not magically "know" where the ball target is and running there to swat/intercept it without looking
  • Special teams- Kickoff and punt return blocking is atrocious this year. Particularly punt returns because the blockers run all the way back to the ball target and don't turn around to block until the returner catches it. Makes punt returns extremely difficult and frustrating
Edit: Also one thing I forgot that can probably be tuned fairly easily is the ridiculous success rate of DT swim moves that result in sacks. This is particularly evident on play action passes and they occur almost immediately upon the DT engaging with the C/G on a block attempt.
Red Sox

Twitter: @mburke2_08
PSN: mburke2_08
Old 09-22-2011, 01:55 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 5

I would vote lacking because I do think it needs an overhaul. But I'm much more impressed with this madden than with any other on this gen. I don't feel like I wasted $60 and I don't have MAJOR complaints in game play. My major complaints are in the flaws in the new Franchise mode.

So, as far as game play, I would have voted as fairly satisfied but think it needs an overhaul.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2011, 02:17 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
I'm the lone "not even close" vote? OK. Here's why:

Madden is still missing some of the most basic football elements.

My 3 biggest issues are the lack of tiered defensive play calling, the lack of engaged player mobility & the lack of proper footwork. The 1st doesn't give the gamer the tools to play defense realistically & effectively. The 2nd & 3rd kill the spacing & timing of the game.

Other problems with basics... no gap/contain assignments, no speed rush, wandering d-linemen on stunts, defensive misalignment, unrealistic man coverage, limited animation library, non-football AI, poor controls, poor special teams representation, bad QB drop / WR route timing...

I agree with everything you said, but as the other poster I chose "lacking" since despite its various (and maddening) flaws I still enjoy the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »