Home

Open field tackle challenge.

This is a discussion on Open field tackle challenge. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-24-2011, 11:06 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 9
Open field tackle challenge.

Regarding open field tackles. I'm under the impression that generally the cpu breaks too many open field tackles. I don't mean the kind where a defender reaches out an arm at his ankle kind...but the direct hit where the defender just bounces or slides off the cpu back. Many others have complained about this but I think alot of people don't realize that it may not be close to reality. So I offer this challenge.

1. Play 1 or 2 or however games of madden you normally do and note how many open field tackles get broken by the cpu. Again I'm talking solid hits, not arm tackles or outstretched hands. Keep a stat of how many tackles are made vs broken.

2. Then watch your favorite team or who ever is on TV in your area. Do the same thing. I'm guessing at least 75% of the time, maybe more, the tackle is made. There are probably alot of times where he slowed the guy down and hung on until help arrived. I'm also guessing that the back "trucking" the defender is a rare play. A few times per game...thus making it noteworthy such that the announcers will gush over it and there will be highlights on ESPN sports center.

I'm going to try this.....wondering if anyone else would like to and report back.
You can post your report in this thread as well.

If interested these are my Madden 12 sliders: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...dden-12-a.html
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2011, 11:45 AM   #2
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Open field tackle challenge.

I hate to be THAT GUY, but I'm gonna have to be here. There is no problem with the tackling in Madden 12. Anyone who tells you otherwise, needs to refine their technique.

EA, PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH THIS!!!

Whoo! Okay, now that I've got that out. Last year, I was up in arms over what I saw in Madden 11. It was hands down, without a doubt the worst defensive experience I've ever had, trying to make a solo tackle in Madden 11. I mean, you'd see 175 lb. Desean Jackson catch a drag route, shrug a guy off his back, stiff arm three linebackers to the ground one after another, gather then hurdle the defensive back, and without gathering again, magically hurdle the second DB, shrug off the DE off his back that had caught up to him while he was making all these moves, then speed to the endzone.

This year, it's right, or at least close enough that it doesn't warrant a patch or tuning. I struggled mightily at first. I couldn't get off blocks, got ran through, and missed all together, but I kept at the thing. Now I can rack up 12 tackles a game like it's nothing. The key is I got the hang of lining guys up and hitting them square with my momentum going through the target. I stone speed guys like Ahmad Bradshaw, while it takes the big boy pads to bring down guys like Blount and Jacobs. The big backs will fall forward more, which is exactly what I see on Sunday. But heck, even the 195 receivers are in the weight room and if they aren't hit square can duck out of a tackle that isn't properly wrapped and fall for an extra 3 yards.

If I do have an issue, it's that sometimes I'll spill a play to my weakside linebacker and they'll run right past the hole without touching the runner as if he's in another world -- I've even seen my WILL have his back turned to the ball carrier -- or will sometimes take a horrible, unnecessary.

Last edited by Senator Palmer; 09-24-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

@Senator Palmer

No they don't need to fix this. Me and Yankee just feel different about open field tackles.

I feel the advantage is to the offensive player, and he feels differently.

Also Yankee I'm not just talking about broken tackles with the one on one. There is also the juking involved.

I just feel those one on ones favor the offensive player.

Now I'm talking about when they both are facing each other and both have a clear chance to defeat each other. Not that the player has his back to the defender while he is catching the ball.

I'm sure you understand what I mean about a clear one on one situation. Hopefully we can get more involved.

Also to clear this up about my thoughts. I'm not saying every time. I'm just saying majority of the time the offensive player will win, and is why open field tackles are given so much props when they are made. Majority of the time only means that more than half the times the offensive player will win.
It can be 55%

Last edited by Tyrant8RDFL; 09-24-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:59 AM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
@Senator Palmer

No they don't need to fix this. Me and Yankee just feel different about open field tackles.

Also Yankee I'm not just talking about broken tackles with the one on one. There is also the juking involved.

Now I'm talking about when they both are facing each other and both have a clear chance to defeat each other. Not that the player has his back to the defender while he is catching the ball.

I'm sure you understand what I mean about a clear one on one situation. Hopefully we can get more involved.

Ok...lets just talk RB's....We'll look for guys that get in a one on one situation...doesn't ahve to be totally wide open field. Guy can run a draw, get 5 yards and have the MLB in his face. In madden that tackle gets broken too often (which is why my tackle slider is 45 and btk for cpu is 25 - and I still get a crazy play here and there). IRL the MLB makes that tackle 95% of the time.

Now juking is different...I'm talking pure trucking here. Yes a Bradshaw or Charles can do a move and leave the guy clutching the air. But if he gets a piece of the RB the Back goes down most of the time.

We'll check and see...maybe I'll find your right or vice versa...fun to find out.

If interested these are my Madden 12 sliders: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...dden-12-a.html
Old 09-24-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
MVP

Senator Palmer....your videos are exhibit A in what's wrong. I see the same kinds of things in madden 12...maybe not like the cowboy thing but I've had games where the back runs a stretch. First my OLB hits him in the hip at a 45 degree angle...and slip down to the ground. Then my MLB hits him at more a 90 degree angle...nothing. My CB comes up dead on and gets runover. My SS comes up at a decent angle and gets trucked. My Lb's now catch up to the guy again and keep slipping off him like he has grease all over his body...that's just way too much and we are not talking AP or guys like that. It's some decent back but come on.....that's a highlight reel play like the Lynch did for Seattle last year in the postseason. It shouldn't happen every game and it did until I lowered the btk and upped my tackling.

Maybe you are way better at tackling than me. And yes angles matter...I get that but again in the NFL I posit that most of the time the first contact either causes a tackle or slows him down enough for someone else to clean up. You don't see backs breaking tackles every time they get the ball.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/sta...s-2010-part-ii

Can't vouch for the accuracy here but if they are right...the best guy goes down 4 out of 5 times without breaking a tackle. Most guys were more like 8 or 9 out of 10. That's what i'm talking.....

Last edited by mjhyankees; 09-24-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2011, 12:10 PM   #6
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
@Senator Palmer

Also to clear this up about my thoughts. I'm not saying every time. I'm just saying majority of the time the offensive player will win, and is why open field tackles are given so much props when they are made. Majority of the time only means that more than half the times the offensive player will win.
It can be 55%
Okay, so this is continuing from a previous discussion? I may be a little in the dark then, but if it comes to one on one tackles, I still don't see a problem. Unless there's a scenario I'm missing. I've gotten players down one on one. I'll strafe and break down as I'm coming up.

Last year, you could cancel one on one. It was almost pre-determined that the CPU was going to juke, or hurdle if I tried to cut. I'm just not seeing the same issue in Madden 12.

Now I still may not be catching the context, but what I will say needs to be improved is that the CPU seems a little loose in their movements vs. when you are manually controlling a defender, the locomotion seems more weighted against your player. It's still not quite as balanced as I think it could be as far as matching a back's lateral movement. I am controlling a MLB, so I'm sure that's a factor, but if I'm going against a big back, he shouldn't be able to cut that sharply in the hole against the grain.

Once again, I still may not be getting it. I'd have to go dig through the discussion.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20

Lower the cpu broken tackle slider to 0 and that will help. I play with it at 0 and you will still see broken tackles, but nothing crazy.

Last edited by cusefan74; 09-24-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:41 PM   #8
MVP

lisinas's Arena

OVR: 5

If its not broken tackle its no one else but you who need to learn to tackle
I had this problem aswell, trying to big hit or trying to tackle player with the ball too early
You just have to tackle with A/X all the time aka just running into player with the ball , no sh1t with the stick or square .
Im sure you guys moaning about not being able to make an open field tackles are trying to big hit the player with the ball with right stick . (or square )

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »