Home

HELP!!!! My son is a cheeser (LOL)

This is a discussion on HELP!!!! My son is a cheeser (LOL) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
HELP!!!! My son is a cheeser (LOL)

My 11 year old son is starting to get into sports games but since he doesnt understand all of the rules he is turning into a huge cheeserWe have played Madden 12 since its release and I cant take it anymore. Ive been playing Madden for years and consider myself a decent sim player so I let him play on Rookie while I set my controller to All Madden to level the playing field. Bad move, once this dude finds a play that works he will literally run it the whole game. His favorites, Hail Mary and draw plays. He doesnt punt, kick field goals and blitz every down. What pisses me off the most is how the computer cheats for him. He catches everything on offense, intercepts everything on defense and averages about 15 yards per carry. And heres the kicker - the little punk is starting to talk trash to me (LOL). I think I have created a monster .
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2011, 11:47 AM   #2
TheSaints7

OVR:
Re: HELP!!!! My son is a cheeser (LOL)

HAHA, Take it off All Madden and put it on All Pro. All Madden is nearly impossible.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
Veteran

db56's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Legend 72
My 11 year old son is starting to get into sports games but since he doesnt understand all of the rules he is turning into a huge cheeserWe have played Madden 12 since its release and I cant take it anymore. Ive been playing Madden for years and consider myself a decent sim player so I let him play on Rookie while I set my controller to All Madden to level the playing field. Bad move, once this dude finds a play that works he will literally run it the whole game. His favorites, Hail Mary and draw plays. He doesnt punt, kick field goals and blitz every down. What pisses me off the most is how the computer cheats for him. He catches everything on offense, intercepts everything on defense and averages about 15 yards per carry. And heres the kicker - the little punk is starting to talk trash to me (LOL). I think I have created a monster .
My son is 10 and he started playing the Xbox about 2 years ago and the little @#it beats me 6 out of 10 games now!! Lol
My advice, let him run it and learn how to stop it, manually reposition players in the passing lanes and shut it down. Hopefully he will have to openup the playbook and will grow out of his cheeser stage!! Good Luck Bro..
Old 09-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #4
Pro

OVR: 10

Yea, U should have done it the way I learned... I've been playing Madden since 93, and back then there was no level playing ground... He is only 11, He doesn't deserve to beat you unless he puts time in to master the game... My little cousin who just turned 15, started out like your son, He was horrible and played little like the real game... But playing against people in the family he learned and grew better as a player... Now he can compete to the point where two months ago, not having played Madden 11 since prob Feb-ish.

He skunked me 2 times out of the 5 we played, and won 3 out of 5 games... He didn't have any help, He just practiced and played everyday and got better... My rust helped him a little, but if you believe in your game, months off shouldn't rust you enough to get skunked, which I did...

The only the thing I do hate on him about though is he a Eagles Fan and only pics them... Which is basically hate because they are so good in the game since Vick came back, and How deep to Jackson scores at least 2 TD's a game, no matter the difficulty
Old 09-25-2011, 11:58 AM   #5
Pro

OVR: 10

Oh Yea, and something else that works pretty good against worst players is blitzing... From your description your son doesn't seem to understand what to do that much and blitzing should confuse him and make bad plays hopefully
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2011, 12:49 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by db56
My advice, let him run it and learn how to stop it, manually reposition players in the passing lanes and shut it down. Hopefully he will have to openup the playbook and will grow out of his cheeser stage!! Good Luck Bro..
No offense to OS members, but this isn't the typical response to 'cheeser' complaints. Best advice of the year!

To me, the relationship between cheeser and cheesee is simple - but it's not parasitic. Quite the opposite. It's 100% symbiotic. Follow this logic:

You cannot be cheesed unless you let someone cheese you. If this game were any other sport, take boxing for example, cheese would be essentially pummeling someone who refused to block a left hook with several left hooks. Only in Madden is attacking someone's apparent weakness considered cheese.

To the OP, your son's mix of draws and Hail Mary pass plays is a logical mix if you're only going to use two plays. To defend the Hail Mary, you need to back away from the line of scrimmage. To defend the draw, you'll need to come toward the line of scrimmage. It presents a unique quandary for the defense.

How will you defend the deep ball AND the draw?

Until you answer this question in a way that is consistently effective to beat your son - he will continue to use an unsatisfactory answer to this defensive question against you.

Don't think of it as cheese. There's nothing cheesy on unethical about it. He's doing you a favor by showing you where you are weak and giving you ample opportunity to refine your strategy. Use it as 'tinker time' until you find at least one way to defend both. Then look for a second way, a third, a forth... Keep looking until you can defend him without being locked into having to call two plays the whole game and the game will be fun for you, and you break your son out of the habit of running two plays.

In the end you do one another a service that improves your process for dealing with strategic challenges, you strengthen a lifelong rivalry, and push each other to improve and refine to stay competitive. Symbiosis.

Let me know if I can help you formulate a strategy... Nothing makes me happier than beating the children. Spare the rod works for Madden too.

Later
Old 09-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #7
Rookie

bccards13's Arena

OVR: 2

Why don't you take him off ROOKIE??? Jesus the last thing we need is another guy who learned to cheese on rookie. Force him to play all-pro and see if that doesn't solve the cheese problem.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:51 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by db56
I was going to suggest adoption, but this advice is better

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »