Home

Player Roles are just completely messed up...

This is a discussion on Player Roles are just completely messed up... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-29-2011, 01:00 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Player Roles are just completely messed up...

I know there are tons of issues with player roles, but this is the dumbest one I've seen.

TB franchise.

Gerald McCoy gets 21 sacks, 1 short of an NFL record, makes the Pro Bowl, wins NFL Defensive Player of the Year, and is 3rd in NFL MVP voting.

I'm thinkin', "Sweet, he's gonna be a Pass Rusher FO SHO next season."

Get through the off season... Gerald McCoy is..... INJURY PRONE???? WTF? Dude played every game, never even GOT injured... led the league in sacks by 5, almost set a RECORD... and he's injury prone.

Awesome. Top notch.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
The Living Legend

LivingLegend's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Player Roles are just completely messed up...

T.J. Lang ALWAYS gets the Trench Warrior/Injury Prone roles together.

They pretty much cancel each other out too, I find it so pathetic it's hilarious at this point.
Chicago Blackhawks
Old 09-29-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
Rookie

How are Player Roles assigned this year?

Are they rewarded based on stats, ratings, or both? (Obviously, a WR with 80 speed shouldn't get the Deep Threat role)

Because player progression isn't based on past performance, player roles need to have a very strong role in-game and for franchise decisions.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:20 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeks
I know there are tons of issues with player roles, but this is the dumbest one I've seen.

TB franchise.

Gerald McCoy gets 21 sacks, 1 short of an NFL record, makes the Pro Bowl, wins NFL Defensive Player of the Year, and is 3rd in NFL MVP voting.

I'm thinkin', "Sweet, he's gonna be a Pass Rusher FO SHO next season."

Get through the off season... Gerald McCoy is..... INJURY PRONE???? WTF? Dude played every game, never even GOT injured... led the league in sacks by 5, almost set a RECORD... and he's injury prone.

Awesome. Top notch.
I agree. I had a super-star in the making at MLB. 83 OVR, 90 Speed, 88 Agility, 91 ACC, 88 Tackle, 88 Hit Power, the list goes on...

He ended up just being a stat-sheet stuffer. 160 tackles, 6 sacks, 2 picks, 1 FF, 2 FR, 1 TD...

Never missed a down due to his 90 Stamina...never missed a down due to injury.

Off Season comes, he progress to a 93!! And gets nothing but: Injury Prone as his Role. LOL...weird. The PS2 version had the Roles done right. Especially the nice "Blue Star" when it was a 1st Round Pick. I took this guy #4 overall. It would be cool to see those little icons just on the Roster area. I didn't like seeing the "Bull" icon on the fields and such under the players with the respective icons, etc.

Last edited by BoisePanther; 09-29-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:25 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4

with those numbers you don't need a role to tell you your mlb is a beast of a linebacker. so who cares, as far as injury prone goes tough it out and deal with it. there are good players that are injury prone all the time, matt stafford jumps out to me and he had never had an injury history coming into the NFL.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2011, 07:31 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skte1ement
with those numbers you don't need a role to tell you your mlb is a beast of a linebacker. so who cares, as far as injury prone goes tough it out and deal with it. there are good players that are injury prone all the time, matt stafford jumps out to me and he had never had an injury history coming into the NFL.
The roles do much more than just IDENTIFY good players, but some of them boost ratings in certain situations, and even lower the opposition's ratings.

My question is this though:

If a player already has a 99 in AWR, or some other rating, that gets boosted by a role, does it just cap off at 99 AWR, or does it also increase?
Old 09-29-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwubbie
The roles do much more than just IDENTIFY good players, but some of them boost ratings in certain situations, and even lower the opposition's ratings.

My question is this though:

If a player already has a 99 in AWR, or some other rating, that gets boosted by a role, does it just cap off at 99 AWR, or does it also increase?
Exactly what I was getting at. He should've had at least 1 positive role...

Yes, it tops out at 99 AWR or whatever it may be, despite any other "bonuses."
Old 09-29-2011, 07:57 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoisePanther
Exactly what I was getting at. He should've had at least 1 positive role...

Yes, it tops out at 99 AWR or whatever it may be, despite any other "bonuses."
I see. Well, if that's the case, 2 or 3 roles could potentially be useless. For instance, assigning a Feature Back role to a player that already has 99 BCV and stamina.

But the roles that affect the opposition or his teammates, like the Shutdown Corner or Team Mentor are extremely valuable.

I'm just really curious as to how how the roles are assigned, and if the computer values players with Roles.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »