Home

After viewing NBA 2K12...What is stopping Madden???

This is a discussion on After viewing NBA 2K12...What is stopping Madden??? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-01-2011, 04:44 AM   #33
Banned

OVR: 11
Re: After viewing NBA 2K12...What is stopping Madden???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms24forever
Responses like these are so over-done here at OS. "EA took the lazy way out...". Not original and FAR from the truth. Does Madden have flaws, heck yeah, and so do these TIRED statements.
But therein lies the problem: the exclusive license kills my choice as a consumer to go with the product that meets my standards. Instead, I am forced, year in and year out, to purchase a product that does not live up to my standards if I want an NFL gaming experience. So when choice is being eliminated artificially, not because the removed product failed to deliver and died a natural death, I am going to be harsher on what I do get, because I am being forced to buy it.

Now I realize I could just not buy Madden at all, and not play an NFL video game, and I realize that is my fault as a consumer that I still support a product that I don't like with my money. But the reality is, lack of competition is bad for the consumer, and this is true of business in general, not just Madden vs. NFL 2K. Lack of competition is worse for 2K fans, because we do not have the choice to buy the product we like. Lack of competition is worse for fans of Madden because, with no competition, there is no incentive for the company to innovate and improve their product, because it is the only choice out there. As such, you have things like online activation codes that prevent a consumer from buying a product used, or else they will have to spend extra money to play the game online and access online content. I'm not familiar with any game on the market, but the only games that I know that do that are games with exclusive licensing... Madden NFL, and WWE Smackdown vs. Raw.

The NFL and EA Sports win from the exclusive deal. But the consumer on both sides of the fence are the ones who suffer from the lack of competition. It's a shame that EA Sports would buy their way out of competition, instead of letting their product beat out the competition naturally, and it's a shame that the NFL promotes exclusive rights business practices that eliminate choice from the consumer.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:38 AM   #34
Banned

Old School SD Fan's Arena

OVR: 3

Between what EA pays for the exclusive NFL license, and what they pay Madden for his name, I'm surprised they can afford more than two programmers working out of their garage.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:41 AM   #35
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvb34
Madden 12 is just as good as NBA 2k12...
Well everyone has their right to their opinion, but you will be in an extreme minority.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2011, 07:04 AM   #36
MVP

lisinas's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
Maybe NBA 2K has competition after all------the sport itself.

Let's face it----NFL is king here in the USA. Millions and millions of fans buy Madden every year, regardless.

The NBA isn't nearly as popular, so perhaps to get non-fans drawn in, they have to make the "ultimate" gaming experience. I've been reading alot of posts from non- NBA fans who are interested in 2k12 just because of the laundry list of features, let alone the presentation/commentary.

I feel the same about baseball games and soccer----in the USA, baseball is like number two or three behind football, and most Americans (myself included) don't watch soccer.

So to keep interest up, you make an awesome game that longtime fans praise as being GOTY, and the next thing you know, non-fans are buying out of curiosity.Then those same fans enjoy the game soo much, they're the first in line the following year, and so on.

Just my take.....
Good point , for example i and my friend both were basketball fans and we still kinda are , but we just like international events like olympics / eurobasket / world championship , nba is not the same in a bad way , as it was some time ago for both of us , we lost our interest in it , we watch like playoffs from time to time and of course finals , but i dont get the feeling which i had 10~ years ago when i was watching nba , how ever , we bought bought nba 2k11 and we are willing to buy 2k12 as its excellent game , it feels so much like a real life its unbelievable . So yeah , here you go , people not really interested in nba buying nba game just because its good .
Old 10-01-2011, 07:37 AM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 0

why cant madden be like much less popular but much better gaming experience NHL and FIFA
Old 10-01-2011, 07:42 AM   #38
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert429
I think online gaming killed madden. To me, once EA started focusing on online matchups and avoiding cheesers, etc. The game started sucking.

The whole focus moved away from gameplay to head to head bs and 'stick skills' so now madden plays like a fighting game and not a sports game.

Removed formation subs to keep WR from playing qb(only an online issue) but sucks for offline plag, too heavy focus on stick moves = stupid animations. Madden ultimate team taking space and focus.

Just look at the ads for madden vs 2k as a great example of the focus for EA vs 2k. 2k shows gameplay and NBA players, madden shows two dudes on a couch talking trash.
Madden is to football what street fighter is to real fighting.
Are u serious?? Have u played NBA 2k11 online?? Lol, go to the 2k site and all u hear about is cheesing. LOL, fan boy comment of the day.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:52 AM   #39
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionMaximus
Judging by what I see in NBA 2k12. Just imagine what NFL 2k12 could have been.
Judging by what I see in NHL 2k12. Just imagine what NFL 2k12 could have been.

oh wai...
Old 10-01-2011, 09:03 AM   #40
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerwr38

But I am very jealous, I was just reading a thread about "What is missing in NBA 2k12". Most of the replies were little trivial things like "Knicks 93 jerseys!" or very high technologically advanced things like "photo realism" (sort of just throwing something out there...like virtual reality). These two statements lead me to believe that the majority of those gamers are pretty satisfied with the game.
2k hoops is a great game, but it's not perfect either. For all the positive threads there, there are negative one's too. It reminds me of this forum.

I was just in there yesterday and some posters were ripping on someone for claiming there were no significant offline improvements.

Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

Let's not pretend it's all rosy with blue skies on the other side of the fence.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »