Home

qb accuracy and differentiation

This is a discussion on qb accuracy and differentiation within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-01-2011, 05:37 PM   #9
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: qb accuracy and differentiation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarodd21
These things I highlighted is the problem. You might wanna increase the difficulty...
Just stop. Some of you guys swear sliders fix everything, but you're missing the point of the thread and he's absolutely right.

Problems the OP mentioned:
1. There are only a few windows where balls are thrown that are predetermined by this game.
2. There is not enough "spread" in the ratings for QB's resulting in a bunch of clones with either SPD/AGI/ACC differences or throwing release animation differences that don't accurately reflect what a quick release actually does to separate good QB's from mediocre ones.

Neither of these can be fixed with sliders. Problem #1 can be slightly improved by finding the right slider window that makes passes fall slightly off target for most QB's, but the same could be done by adjusting QB ratings in rosters. This is a workaround, not a solution to the problem. Problem #2 can be slightly improved by roster editing, but that results in the sim engine going haywire and CPU AI controlled QB's playing horrendously. Still yet again a workaround and not a solution.

Passing needs a major overhaul in so many areas. I doubt we get it until the next generation of consoles though.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

Jarodd21's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
Just stop. Some of you guys swear sliders fix everything, but you're missing the point of the thread and he's absolutely right.

Problems the OP mentioned:
1. There are only a few windows where balls are thrown that are predetermined by this game.
2. There is not enough "spread" in the ratings for QB's resulting in a bunch of clones with either SPD/AGI/ACC differences or throwing release animation differences that don't accurately reflect what a quick release actually does to separate good QB's from mediocre ones.

Neither of these can be fixed with sliders. Problem #1 can be slightly improved by finding the right slider window that makes passes fall slightly off target for most QB's, but the same could be done by adjusting QB ratings in rosters. This is a workaround, not a solution to the problem. Problem #2 can be slightly improved by roster editing, but that results in the sim engine going haywire and CPU AI controlled QB's playing horrendously. Still yet again a workaround and not a solution.

Passing needs a major overhaul in so many areas. I doubt we get it until the next generation of consoles though.
I understand what the OP is saying and I simply said I do see the difference in low rated and high rated QBs with how I have mine set up and so do others... Difficulty does affect certain things with sliders and the difference in how players perform. Thats my opinion on it and you have yours. Its worth a try for him to find out for himself..
Old 10-01-2011, 08:08 PM   #11
Pro

michapop9's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
I understand what the OP is saying and I simply said I do see the difference in low rated and high rated QBs with how I have mine set up and so do others... Difficulty does affect certain things with sliders and the difference in how players perform. Thats my opinion on it and you have yours. Its worth a try for him to find out for himself..

I appreciate the thoughts, I will try it when I get home, hopefully the new madden team sees this and with doubling the amount of people to work on gameplay will address it, even using your method Jarod it may help but I still feel YouAlreadyknow is right, but all we can do is work around it to make it slightly playable, I enjoy the game to a point, (its another step in the right direction) but get really frustrated when the game doesnt play like I think it should or could.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2011, 09:05 PM   #12
Pro

Haze88's Arena

OVR: 5

Honestly awareness is a cpu only rating. Awareness doesn't matter for a player since we see the whole field at once, so decisions that a real backup quaterback would make will never happen with user control since we'll see a better choice and make it causing people to feel the Brady=Clausen type syndrome since we'll make the Brady desicion the the Clausen model which is technically unrealistic
Old 10-01-2011, 09:42 PM   #13
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
I agree with everything you just said, just don't want this very real issue to go ignored because the passing game on Madden is one aspect of the game that us slider creators and roster makers have little control over. The decision making and the number of possible outcomes just are off.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:23 PM   #14
Pro

michapop9's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haze88
Honestly awareness is a cpu only rating. Awareness doesn't matter for a player since we see the whole field at once, so decisions that a real backup quaterback would make will never happen with user control since we'll see a better choice and make it causing people to feel the Brady=Clausen type syndrome since we'll make the Brady desicion the the Clausen model which is technically unrealistic
there are a number of ways to fix this that dont just involve a vision cone (tho that is my favorite one), make defense react quicker and play better for lower rated quarterbacks, limit number of icons you see or even better make the number of routes your able to see when you bring up the play limited, both on the playcall screen and on the field preplay.

thats not the only issue, how fast a quarterback releases theball when he starts his throwing motion should be involved to.

and qb accuracy can be slightly more exaggerated between qb's since we can see the whole field, Im talking about a system where an 85 accuracy is different than an 89 accuracy (short, medium, or deep) in such a way where its not just missing a throw a certain number of times more or less than another different rated qb, but also by how much, sometimes the difference between an 85 and 89 qb could mean an incompletion with an average reciever where a great reciever with a high spectacular catch could make the grab where an 89 might of just hit him to where he made the catch but didnt get any YAC and then a 99 or 95 or whatever would of hit him in stride and he could of kept going, where talking about inches sometimes here, some quarterbacks can fit it into tight spaces whereas other qbs who arent that much less accurate cant. Lets get some variety here that can spark some really awesome looking plays depending on where the ball is being thrown and whos catching it.

The lobbing over coverage is really lacking in this game too, its almost always batted down where missed throws from qbs that are short are usually picked off and most misses that result in incompletions are thrown long, where a reciever could possibly make a diving catch. Tons of potential and great additions to gameplay with that idea alone.

The NFL is becoming (already is) a passing league, lets reflect that in Madden.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:59 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 0

Actually, I think EA does a decent job of differentiating QBs.

-Pocket vs. Mobile: Speed/Acceleration is the simple way of looking at it. You can't run around with Peyton Manning like you do with Michael Vick.

- SAC, MAC, DAC Ratings: Against Cover 2, I rarely hit that small window between the 2 safeties and the MLB playing intermediate zone whenever I use Alex Smith (49ers are my primary franchise). When I play around and use the Colts, Peyton Manning hits that spot on the field like it's nothing.

Of course, there can be some improvements.

I think QB RELEASE should be a new rating for QBs. It'll make for some interesting combinations. Peyton Manning is the prototypical pocket QB, so once you hit the button to throw it to the WR, the ball is out instantly. Meanwhile, let's say Alex Smith makes that same throw. There could probably be an extra frame or two of lag for him. Like in real-life, for Alex Smith to have any *chance* of decent numbers, he's going to need a good pocket, with time, to make his throw.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2011, 12:03 AM   #16
MVP

DLaren's Arena

OVR: 16

Turn on 'Coach Mode'.

Problem solved.
College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #2; Currently in Year-12.

College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #1 (retired); 40 seasons completed, 6 NCAA Championships won.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »