Home

Is it momentum?

This is a discussion on Is it momentum? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-03-2011, 04:24 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 8
Re: Is it momentum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I don't have an issue admitting what we have in common and you seem like a stand up guy from your posts, videos and other medium interactions. It just seems you have very guarded POV's which I can understand but think can make anybody come off closed minded, at times.
That POV comes from being on the side where I couldn't win anything to now when I believe I can win them all. The only difference being what I've learned in the 20 years since my first game.

I just want us all to be as prepared as we can be - so we won't have to compromise our own brand of football to compete with anyone out there. But it's like pulling teeth sometimes.

Later
Old 10-03-2011, 04:24 PM   #18
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke6
Okay, I just played a guy who used the Panther's, his formation read 2wr 1rb 2Te's. When he got out on the field, it was a 5 wr set, I came out in cover 4 over as someone told me what to expect and double the TE Olsen.

I did so, and I got torched for 5 TDs from Olson from the same formation and play to the SAME SPOT! I even manually controlled my Lb underneath and when the ball arrived, I hit Triangle and X and my players didnt even budge, but guess what... His TE Olsen caught the ball in the endzone every single time and never dropped a pass when he was hit as the ball got there.

My opponent messaged me to step my game up as he only ran 2 run plays for 30yds and that 1 pass play for over 400. What is there to step up from something like that TNT?

It just seems like I am making excuses for losing but when you put it all together, the lagg seems to be helping him as he seems to play that pass play flawlessly in it.

Dunno what to do besides just give up on competition madden altogether outside of Sim leagues. Tired of the BS overriding football logic as Patrick Willis being manned up on olsen with a safety over the top and he just stands there as the ball floats in the air without even defending or swatting at the ball.

I was told that I am delusional!
Things like this are why I ask do the Madden developers actually play Madden. I don't see how anyone that creates this game could play a few online games and not make an oath to at least add a simulation setting/mode where this stuff can not be successful.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:43 PM   #19
Banned

Quote:
Okay, I just played a guy who used the Panther's, his formation read 2wr 1rb 2Te's. When he got out on the field, it was a 5 wr set, I came out in cover 4 over as someone told me what to expect and double the TE Olsen.

I did so, and I got torched for 5 TDs from Olson from the same formation and play to the SAME SPOT! I even manually controlled my Lb underneath and when the ball arrived, I hit Triangle and X and my players didnt even budge, but guess what... His TE Olsen caught the ball in the endzone every single time and never dropped a pass when he was hit as the ball got there.

My opponent messaged me to step my game up as he only ran 2 run plays for 30yds and that 1 pass play for over 400. What is there to step up from something like that TNT?

It just seems like I am making excuses for losing but when you put it all together, the lagg seems to be helping him as he seems to play that pass play flawlessly in it.

Dunno what to do besides just give up on competition madden altogether outside of Sim leagues. Tired of the BS overriding football logic as Patrick Willis being manned up on olsen with a safety over the top and he just stands there as the ball floats in the air without even defending or swatting at the ball.

I was told that I am delusional!
Smoke,

Assuming I' understood what you mean with your description, it sounds like the All Verticals play. But let's break this down from the beginning.

Since he wants your base personnel on the field, the first thing your opponent checks is your initial alignment. He'll probably do this on the trips side first, so it is the first place you should look to disguise your coverage.

If you open with Cover 4, you are in a good position to cover the sidelines but the middle will be exposed meaning the TE should be targeted against 1-on-1 coverage with a MLB. If you aren't immaculate with your user skills, it is easy to complete this pass EVEN in tight coverage. Lag will only exasperate any weaknesses in your technique. Cover 3 may work better to take away the TE, but it will leave the Triangle/Y receiver open in the seam with room to run (not better).

When you see this play again (and you will), move something near the trips side of the formation and make sure the routes that cross the middle have the defender positioned on the inside. Use your manually controlled player to undercut the route...

I like to use Man Under 2 for this play... I control the deep safety and come up toward the LOS til I'm 2 yards behind where the OLB would be and play the routes in the middle between the hashes and numbers.

Of course, elaborate a little more about what was happening so I can give you the best advice for your situation.

Later
Old 10-03-2011, 04:50 PM   #20
Banned

Quote:
When he got out on the field, it was a 5 wr set, I came out in cover 4 over as someone told me what to expect and double the TE Olsen.

I did so, and I got torched for 5 TDs from Olson from the same formation and play to the SAME SPOT!
On a more satirical note... Looks like you should stop listening to the guy you got your advice from. LOL

Just messing. But his advice obviously does not work for you right now. There may be something else you need to develop before his advice is going to get your better results. It may be great advice, but not unless you can execute it.

It may be time to step back and take inventory of your best and worst attributes as a player. If I had to guess, I'd say your user skills need work. Especially when your opponent is so successful targeting receivers you're covering.

Try the Pass Coverage mini-game... It's not as good as the DB Swat drill from the PS2 days, but it will help you improve your pass catching and coverage skills.

Later
Old 10-03-2011, 06:11 PM   #21
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
On a more satirical note... Looks like you should stop listening to the guy you got your advice from. LOL

Just messing. But his advice obviously does not work for you right now. There may be something else you need to develop before his advice is going to get your better results. It may be great advice, but not unless you can execute it.

It may be time to step back and take inventory of your best and worst attributes as a player. If I had to guess, I'd say your user skills need work. Especially when your opponent is so successful targeting receivers you're covering.

Try the Pass Coverage mini-game... It's not as good as the DB Swat drill from the PS2 days, but it will help you improve your pass catching and coverage skills.

Later
Everything can always use some work, but ask everyone in the online community about my user skills and take from that what you will. I am by no means a push over at all and I can adapt well. Since most of the time I know my opponent will/could end up beating me with his cheesy tactics and exploited gameplay, I start to tinker around until I find something to either slow it down or it works. I also make not of this in my notebook for these occassions as madden is a copy cat game regarding online play and its players.

Thus my rants and arguments are the very reason why nano blitzing exists like it does today. In order to stop and curve peoples appetites for cheesing and cheating, you gotta come with a lil of your own sometimes! But never me!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2011, 12:45 AM   #22
Pro

JeriousNorwood's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Obviously, if you cant read the OP all the way thru, then dont bother replying!

As I said in my post that I was stopping this crap from the get go, I let off the gas but still playing to his cheese (excessive running if his play) and my defenders were not covering or playing the same as they were earlier in the game.

So if you wanna talk smack about someone stepping there game up, i suggest you either get on your PS3, send me a friend invite. I will record the WHOLE GAME and then we will see who needs to step there game up. During said game I will teach you what your 3rd grade teacher should have, and thats READING COMPREHENSION!
Dispense with the defensive (the irony in that is it was something you couldn't play) insults because it just makes you look foolish. YOU stepped off the gas. That is YOUR fault. If I get up big on an opponent I always do the sportsman like thing and just keep running the ball. However, once they get it back, they are trying to score. There's no reason you should let off the gas and let them back into the game on defense.

Look, I get tired of people coming on here and complaining year after year about "the CPU cheating for a win" or some "hidden momentum or handicap to make me lose". They are all just excuses for your loss. As you said, he ran TWO plays. I don't even care if your guys weren't "guarding them as they were earlier in the game". You control a defender on the defense. It shouldn't be hard to read and react or at least chose a play that targets the side of the field where he likes to go.

People these days just refuse to adjust to their opponent, and when they don't get a win handed to them on a silver platter they complain about how the CPU has it out for them or something stupid like that. Just step your game up and learn from the loss.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:13 PM   #23
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeriousNorwood
Dispense with the defensive (the irony in that is it was something you couldn't play) insults because it just makes you look foolish. YOU stepped off the gas. That is YOUR fault. If I get up big on an opponent I always do the sportsman like thing and just keep running the ball. However, once they get it back, they are trying to score. There's no reason you should let off the gas and let them back into the game on defense.

Look, I get tired of people coming on here and complaining year after year about "the CPU cheating for a win" or some "hidden momentum or handicap to make me lose". They are all just excuses for your loss. As you said, he ran TWO plays. I don't even care if your guys weren't "guarding them as they were earlier in the game". You control a defender on the defense. It shouldn't be hard to read and react or at least chose a play that targets the side of the field where he likes to go.

People these days just refuse to adjust to their opponent, and when they don't get a win handed to them on a silver platter they complain about how the CPU has it out for them or something stupid like that. Just step your game up and learn from the loss.
Really? I mean really?

Of course you are entitled to your opinion but I disagree. If a call a Cover 2 defense and someone beats me with TE up the seam, over and over again, without me calling a different play, good for them. However, if I call double teams, player highlight, deep safety help or prevent and someone repeatedly beats me on go routes with the same player, bad for Madden.

The fact that I can switch to the defender and stop something manually, does not diminish the problem of Madden not adequately executing football functions within a playcall. If we shouldn't expect Man under to play under coverage or any plays to actually be performed as drawn up, they should eliminate preset plays and just have us select personnel/packages. Of course that would be ridiculous and having so many plays that don't counter other plays properly in Madden, is too, imo.

Some people think someone being frustrated with play execution in Madden is them "crying" and "they need to step their game up". However, I see in real life football, all the time, where one player not properly performing their assignment, can potentially undo the proper execution of 10 others. Now flip that in Madden with 1 User properly performing and potentially 10 CPU controlled others not, I don't see how that's just an "excuse".

Last edited by Big FN Deal; 10-04-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:12 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 0

Dude is just doing damage control, no one called him names either, I just said you need to learn how to read and comprehend. As far as the complaining about losing goes, it wasnt even about the loss, it was more of why was i being beaten by the same plays that I had no trouble defending.

I let off the gas offensively, never would I do so on the defensive side of the ball, This just happened to happen and its happened before. But I appreciate the down talking of us players who do come with legit complaints. I am quite sure im not the only one who as experienced this either as it has been brought up before.

But if you feeling froggish, just PM me or come to the PS3 community thread and we can lay the complaints to rest!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »