Home

Madden 13, the Heart of the Player

This is a discussion on Madden 13, the Heart of the Player within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-04-2011, 02:21 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Madden 13, the Heart of the Player

I've been reading all the posts on this forum and I've come to the realization that A LOT of people play Madden for the franchise mode. I guess football is has by far the fewest games played per season than any other sport and what a lot of people like are the game within the game. I'm talking about building a team. Developing young players, scouting draft prospects, trading for and signing big name players, all the stuff that we do during the measly 16 game season. I would like to see EA expand on that. Expand on the things that make a lot of people buy Madden in the first place.

What I envision is a Madden where there is a much deeper focus on the actual players. I would like to see the return of player morale and player personalities where they demand trades and holdout for better contracts. I would also like to see the entire player rating system overhauled. Instead of just one set of attributes, I would like to see EA expand on the DPP that they created for Madden 12. Players would have a rating determined by three different things:

Skill attributes, Personality attributes and Physical attributes.

Skill attributes would have a number rating like the system we currently have and would be based on attributes for each particular position. I would also like to see some attributes removed from the game. I think Awareness is useless now that we have all the other attributes that Awareness encompassed. I think they should introduce an attribute called Field Vision for offensive players. Awareness, Ball Carrier Vision, Stiff Arm, Spin Move, Juke Move, Short, Medium and Deep Accuracy, Spectacular Catch, Release, Route Running, Play Action, Hit Power, Power Move, Finesse Move, Pursuit and Impact Blocking should all be scrapped. Field Vision encompasses Awareness and BCV. SFA, SPM and JKM are all really just by products of Strength, Agility and Acceleration. Players with similar attributes would be differentiated by their Field Vision. After all, there's a reason Jamaal Charles is so much better than Reggie Bush, even though they're both very fast and agile. All the other attributes I listed are really pretty useless or are pretty much just reiterations of other attributes. I would also like to see Trucking re-named Running Power. Trucking sounds like you have to weigh 230+ to even have that attribute on the screen. I think we just need core attributes for each position. Like, doesn't Catching encompass Catch In Traffic and Spectacular Catch? If you can catch, you can catch. Period. This is open to suggestions, like everything that I'm proposing, so just hear me out.

Personality Attributes would consist of mainly the things we have on DPP now. Intangible things. High motor, Clutch, Consistency, etc. Once again, I have a few things that I think we can get rid of: Fights for Extra Yards (doesn't High Motor cover that already?) , Covers the ball (that's not a personality trait), Makes Sideline Catches and Drops Open Passes (not personality traits and pretty much WRs make sideline catches and occasionally drop passes). I would like to add Leadership to this attribute. I understand that great players aren't necessarily leaders, but leadership makes the people around that player better and is a desirable quality in a player. Another category could be Discipline. This would reflect a players tendencies to commit penalties and have celebrations in the endzone. Personality would get a letter grade ranging from A to F.

Physical Attributes are simple. Speed, Agility , Acceleration, Strength and Jumping. Things that all have a measurable value. This would also be on a graded scale from A to F. Now, here, I'm not sure if the grade should be weighted differently according to position or if the grades should be scored on position. Meaning I don't know if Jake Long's (OT) 66 spd, 64 agi, 82 acc, 97 str and 50 jump should translate into a higher score for his position because, heck, he's an O-lineman, like an A or B or if he should get a lower score like C or D because of his poor skills at spd, agi and jumping and just have the score have a lower impact on his overall because O lineman aren't expected to be very athletic. I'm leaning more towards adjusting the ratings by position. So he would get a B+ or maybe even an A- maybe since his physical skills are good for a Tackle. Joe Thomas would probably get an A or A+.

These three categories would combine to make the Player Performance or Overall Rating. I think this would be more effective at really showing you what makes one player different from another. It takes a feature implemented by EA this year and expands on it with other features they used to have and gives each player a more unique feel.

I would also like to see a Celebrity feature somehow incorporated because there are quite a few players who are famous even though they're not really that good. It could have an impact on team's desires to sign them since they would increase ticket sales. Reggie Bush is a prime example.

Back on the topic of the game within the game, I would like to see the return of the scouting system we used to have for each opponent. See who their star players are, how they performed in their last game, who's injured, who's on a Hot/ Cold streak, practice against their favorite plays. That feature was so cool, but could be revamped and expanded on now that we're on a Next Gen system.

I would also like to see more in-depth scouting of rookies during the season. Verbal comments on how they're performing. Here we could begin to get an assessment of their Personality traits and a rang of Skill traits depending on how much time we devote to each player. I liked 2K5's way of giving you a allotted number of hours and you could use it according to how you wanted. So the more hours you devote to a player, you get a better idea of how good his skills are. So for a WR, a scout might say, "I would rate him between a 70 and 80 in Catching." But after more scouting, he could narrow it down to 77 to 80. And of course, you'd get their physical attributes at the Combine. I don't know what they were thinking when they deprived us of Combine numbers on this Madden game.

Maybe bring back practicing plays to increase attributes for those plays when they're run in the game.

I really like Player Roles, they just have to fix it. And can we get rid of a few of these, too? Project Player can go, as well as Underachiever. What do those even do?

Just a few suggestions for the direction I think EA should take this game. I'd like to hear any opinions on it.

Last edited by macbranson; 10-04-2011 at 02:40 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2011, 02:32 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Madden 13, the Heart of the Player

I like the ideas for sure, but to give 'personality' a letter grade would be an insult to some players who get low grades and the NFL would never allow it.

Other than that, I'm on board.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:38 AM   #3
Pro

Well, Personality isn't really their personality, as in, "Albert Haynesworth is a half-a** player who takes plays off." It's really just grading their intangibles. It's pretty much the same thing as Dynamic Player Performance that we have now, but with a few categories removed and the addition of Leadership and Discipline and any other attributes you guys think should be added and it would be the same categories for every player unlike now where certain positions have different categories.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:52 AM   #4
MVP

Obnoxious's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeks
I like the ideas for sure, but to give 'personality' a letter grade would be an insult to some players who get low grades and the NFL would never allow it.

Other than that, I'm on board.

I'm pretty sure some are insulted by their overall rating as well. It's a video game EA pays rights for, NFL doesn't care because their getting paid 300 Million.

On topic: I would like to see the CPU offer players trades as well. And they need to lay off on the UDFA. And if they actually are going to continue with the superstar mode, they need a ranking system as well. I'm tired of automatically being a starter. There is no challenge.

And a thing that bothers me is when I try to relocate, I can't keep the original team's logo.

Other than that, Madden is great. Just a few gameplay/visual fixes/updates and were set to go.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:59 AM   #5
Pro

Yeah, the UDFA need to go. It does absolutely nothing to improve the game experience. They're all rated ridiculously low and you have to waste time cutting them. It's just a nuisance. EA could use the time spent implementing this useless feature into implementing more useful features, like player depth.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2011, 03:06 AM   #6
MVP

Obnoxious's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbranson
Yeah, the UDFA need to go. It does absolutely nothing to improve the game experience. They're all rated ridiculously low and you have to waste time cutting them. It's just a nuisance. EA could use the time spent implementing this useless feature into implementing more useful features, like player depth.

And the Depth Chart needs MAJOR improving. All it goes by is the Overall rating.

And they need to bring back formation subs in the Coach Settings area.

I'm tired of before every game, Setting Sproles to Shotgun and Thomas to I-Form.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:55 AM   #7
Rookie

ghostlight85's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obnoxious
I'm pretty sure some are insulted by their overall rating as well. It's a video game EA pays rights for, NFL doesn't care because their getting paid 300 Million.
Heh, this reminded me of Ethan Albright's letter to John Madden. Then I had to go read it again. Funny stuff.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:00 AM   #8
MVP

Obnoxious's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlight85
Heh, this reminded me of Ethan Albright's letter to John Madden. Then I had to go read it again. Funny stuff.
I read 2 paragraphs and couldn't stop laughing.

"You know what, John? Two can play this game. I rate you a ****ing 12. I rate you a ****ing 12 in Ethan Albright Football 2000-ever — except for in the category of ball-licking. That is where I will spot you a 98 rating. You will receive this score because I will never give your blubbery *** a 99 in any category. Take that, pencil-dick. Go do Al Micheals or something. Boom."

" I see that I am a better at man-to-man coverage (31) than zone (21). **** me sideways with a lunchbox. Where did these scores even come from?"

"Did someone at EA really put time into figuring out that Orlando Pace edges out Ethan Albright in both throwing power and accuracy? I will challenge him any day. My horrible passer ratings are of greatest misfortune to my son, Red Beard Jr. The poor boy is not only hideously ugly and covered by freakishly large freckles. He also has to suffer through playing catch with me and my senile-elderly-woman-type passer ratings. A session of tossing the pigskin usually consists of me missing my son by thirty yards in sporadic directions. I led him in front of a fire truck once and my wife kicked my ***."

"**** you, John. Please expect to find red pubes in various meals you consume for the rest of your life. If you **** with Ethan Albright, you call down the thunder."

Last edited by Obnoxious; 10-04-2011 at 05:02 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »