Home

What a way to lose.....

This is a discussion on What a way to lose..... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-05-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 9
What a way to lose.....

I have to file this in the "that's what you get for being stupid category". It also demonstrated to me why coaches kneel on the ball at the end of games.

Had a great game going as the Broncos vs Raiders (offline chise). Controlled the game and was up 20-3 midway through the 3rd Q. Cpu drives for a TD....OK no problem still up by 10 and I am the Broncos after all...didn't expect to hold 'em to 3 points. Then with about 3 minutes and change to go in the fourth, I punt to him. I'd been pinned by his punter deep and not wanting to give up a score on a turnover figured I'd run the ball 3 times, use some clock and force him to drive. I figured that he'd use too much time with all this and I'd hang on to win.

Wrong! He scores in about 4 plays...No problem still up 20-17. About 2 minutes to go with the ball. He uses a timeout on first down (I'm just running the ball). On second down there's the 2 minute warning timeout. On third down I get the first and there's an injury timeout. I run again and there's another injury timeout!!! WTF the SOB just got two free timeouts and has two left. So of course I end up punting to him with about 1:45 left in the game and of course he gets a decent return to his 45.

Now I'm sweating, he needs only a FG to send a game I dominated for almost 3 quarters into OT. He drives down to my 30....crap!!! Close to FG range especially with their kicker. But he gets a hold!!! Next play he gets back the the 30...crap!!! I sack him!!!!! Next play he gets to the 33 again. On third down I sack him again!!!!! He's on the 43 now....he doesn't try the 60 yard FG goes for it and I stop him.

Kneel once, twice and with @ 10 seconds I suddenly see that he's in some strange overshift defense. I decide...no harm in running a play here (wanted to get MOreno over 100 yards anyway, he was at 98). I shift. The play goes...suddenly the ball is literally flying out of Moreno's hands into the arms of a Raider DB who runs it in for the game winner as the clock expires. WTF happened!!!???? How did the ball magically fly out of his hands????? Then I remembered that when I first got M10 I had trouble with the laterals. I'd accidently hit the lateral button and cause fumbles. I guess that's what happened here.

I almost restarted the game but then let it go, lesson learned.

If interested these are my Madden 12 sliders: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...dden-12-a.html
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2011, 09:06 PM   #2
Fear The Spear

37's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: What a way to lose.....

the ball shoulda never left Orton's hands on the last series...tryna get a guy a personal achievement is just not worth the risk especially knowin how wonky Madden is.....It'd be easy to pile on and on cause your mistake is painfully obvious but like u said: lesson learned
Old 10-05-2011, 09:11 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_at_the_Meadowlands
Old 10-05-2011, 09:12 PM   #4
Pro

And the Raiders Mystique returns!
Raider Nation is back!!
Old 10-05-2011, 09:24 PM   #5
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20

I had something like that happen in the PS2 days. I hated to down the ball so I always ran it at the end. Until I fumbled on the last play, and they returned it for a TD, I lost of course. I down the ball now, rather lose rushing yards then the game. So I really feel for you man.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2011, 09:34 PM   #6
Pro

The ball, flipped forward, is loose! A wild scramble, two seconds on the clock...Casper grabbing the ball...it is ruled a fumble...Casper has recovered in the end zone! The Oakland Raiders have scored on the most zany, unbelievable, absolutely impossible dream of a play! Madden is on the field. He wants to know if it's real. They said yes, get your big butt out of here! He does! There's nothing real in the world anymore! The Raiders have won the football game! The Broncos....they don't believe it. Fifty-two thousand people minus a few lonely Raider fans are stunned. This one will be relived forever!
—Bill King, calling the play on KGO-AM
Old 10-05-2011, 09:39 PM   #7
Pro

The Amaizen Blue's Arena

OVR: 7

Yeah, I never run the ball in kneel down situations anymore. Ever since I lost to Ohio State in NCAA '09 after fumbling with 20 seconds left and Laurinitis trotting about 60 yards down the field to win the game with a final 17 to 13.

I learned a lesson that day... No matter the circumstance, run up the score on the Buckeyes. ALWAYS! Go Blue
Old 10-05-2011, 09:50 PM   #8
Pro

Pandetta's Arena

OVR: 8

i refuse to kneel because it gives my QB -2 yards on a rush and I hate that :P even if it costs me the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »