Home

Throwing too many INTs

This is a discussion on Throwing too many INTs within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-06-2011, 03:11 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Throwing too many INTs

I've just been throwing way too many picks this season. Last season, I threw for like 20 TDs and 20 INTs. Not good, but not bad for rookie QB Cam Newton. I figured that I would improve this season, but I've gotten much worse. I threw SEVEN picks in my first game. Now, in week 5, I think I've thrown my 15th interception. I'm on course to throw 48 INTs in one season !

I don't want to mess with the sliders, but it seems like my WRs just don't even try to catch the ball a lot. And on a lot of plays, Newton will severely overthrow the receiver and the defender will just be standing there and pick it off. I don't understand why my passes are so errant and why my receivers don't seem to know that the ball is in the air. It's almost like the defender is the receiver and he's looking to catch the ball while my receiver is just running around.

I don't wanna bench Newton because I played fine with him last season. I don't get it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2011, 03:25 AM   #2
MVP

lisinas's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Throwing too many INTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbranson
I've just been throwing way too many picks this season. Last season, I threw for like 20 TDs and 20 INTs. Not good, but not bad for rookie QB Cam Newton. I figured that I would improve this season, but I've gotten much worse. I threw SEVEN picks in my first game. Now, in week 5, I think I've thrown my 15th interception. I'm on course to throw 48 INTs in one season !

I don't want to mess with the sliders, but it seems like my WRs just don't even try to catch the ball a lot. And on a lot of plays, Newton will severely overthrow the receiver and the defender will just be standing there and pick it off. I don't understand why my passes are so errant and why my receivers don't seem to know that the ball is in the air. It's almost like the defender is the receiver and he's looking to catch the ball while my receiver is just running around.

I don't wanna bench Newton because I played fine with him last season. I don't get it.
Well if you are sure its not your mistake on those picks , try upping your QBA slider by 4~ points and up your wr catching by 2-4 .
Old 10-06-2011, 03:26 AM   #3
Fear The Spear

37's Arena

OVR: 31

im gunna tell u what the coach tells their QB all the time....gotta know when to throw the ball away and live for the next down....You're trying to force balls into tight coverage and it makes it only worse that Cam's accuracy isn't up to par......You gotta scan the field quickly and make snap judgments on whose open or whose gunna get open....You gotta be able to read defenses before the ball is even snapped so u know where ur receivers gunna be...that imaginary clock has to go off in ur head once the ball is snapped....Stop trying to be a hero into thinking that ur gunna complete every ball to a receiver...defenders get paid too....if u don't anticipate somebody being open within a few secs, throw it away or take off and run.....just don't allow the defense to take advantage of lollipops that have no chance to be caught
Old 10-06-2011, 07:39 AM   #4
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

OVR: 16

Well if you don't want to adjust your sliders then you're going to have to stick with "safe" passes only. Little dink and dunk passes may help you out. Personally I lowered the CPU's interceptions and instead of them picking every bad throw off they now drop a few. Made a big difference and also added realism.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:03 AM   #5
Pro

Even short passes are getting picked. I thried to throw to my WR on a dig route and the ball just sailed over his head into the defender's hands. He didn't even try to catch it. How the hell does that happen on one of the safest routes available? It's to a point where I'm hesitant to dump it off to a RB in the flats for fear the person covering him will jump the route and return it for 6. It's just like passes that really look like they should be completions wind up going way off target or the receiver will do some nonsense like reach for the ball in the opposite direction where the ball clearly isn't going. And then there are the plays where if the receiver would make an effort to catch the ball, it wouldn't get picked. I don't know. Even when I have a fast guy one on one with a slower guy, I'll take a shot downfield and it will be overthrown and somehow the defender will be ahead of my receiver and get the INT. I'll stick with safe routes and go through my progressions, but if this keeps up, I'm going to have to mess with the sliders.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2011, 11:47 AM   #6
Rookie

After my first season, Josh Freeman threw 20 TD's and 28 picks, and I had 2 CB's with 10 plus picks, I lowered both mine and the CPU sliders to 20, and 8 games into my next season, Freeman has 10 TD's, 6 picks, and my team has 10 total picks. I'm also seeing the swat animations a lot more, but it's not so bad that the CPU is dropping easy picks, which is what was happening when I lowered the sliders too much down to 10.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:17 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 6

A real problem with madden, is the INSTANT Awareness of Defense players, now with the reworked Zone they can cover two players at once.

If Receiver #1 goes for a streak whilst the Slot goes underneath, the CB can easily cover both.

Madden needs to have more Awareness like Fifa style.

they will get there. Atm i dont feel its my fault for the majority of the picks (i did lower the sliders now to get good stats)
Old 10-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbranson

Mac, Analyze your technique.

Are you throwing the ball on time?
Are you synced with your routes?
Are you watching your receiver or the defense?
Can you improve your passing angles by moving the pocket?

One of the best things I ever did was to take my own techniques apart... Then reassemble them one piece at a time.

Start with practice mode - NO DEFENSE.
Count your QB's steps out loud. Set your clock to be ready to throw on 3, 5, and 7.
Now throw some passes to receivers running the hot routes (slants, hooks, streaks, ins, outs, drags, & fades).
Try throwing each route on a 3, 5, or 7 step drop. Note the differences in when the receiver breaks and when the ball arrives.

Now... Imagine a defender and throw the ball in reference to your imaginary defender. This teaches you to throw away from coverage AND helps you learn to make all the throws.

It's defense time... Once you've worked to this point you should know where your receivers will be, and when. You can begin to stop looking at receivers and start looking at the defense to make a better read. The more reps, the better you will become.

When you put it all together, your completion percentage will go up and your INT will come down.

Hope this helps...

Later

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »