Home

Most important defensive positions

This is a discussion on Most important defensive positions within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-07-2011, 01:46 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 8
Re: Most important defensive positions

IMO, they are all equally important... Reason being, there is always a way to game plan any single defender out of a game. It's much tougher when there are no 'standout' players, but the defense performs well as a team.

Case in point... In the NFL it only takes one player missing an assignment for the entire defense to be in jeopardy. One assignment could mean giving up a score. But it takes everyone performing their assignment for the defense to work like it should.

Just my $0.02

Later
Old 10-07-2011, 02:34 PM   #10
Pro

Blue Ninja's Arena

OVR: 23

Aside from the QB, Left/blind side tackle is the most important one. Other position can have an off day and team might still be ok, no1 receiver having a catchless isn't ideal but you could still win. but tackle protecting your QB have an awful day or even for one play, the QB is in danger Of being knocked out of the game or even whole season. One blink from the blind side tackle can kill your franchise. On defense it's def the front 4 or I say nose tackle on 3-4. Name one superbowl winning 3-4 defense who had an average nose tackle. You probably can't. They don't get stats so they might not gt the popularity like other positions on defense but they are involved in every single play. I played secondary back on my days and believe me as much as I wanna favor the corners and safety I can deny the importance of the guys upfront. The better they do the easier it is for us secondary to cover our guys. QB won't be able to pass if he doesn't get enough time to begin with, RBs can't run if there aren't any holes to run through. It all starts upfront. high power offense, shutdown defense is optional to win championships. But above average Offensive line and defensive line/ front 7 are requirements. I can't name a superbowl winning team who didn't have those.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:41 PM   #11
Pro

Pandetta's Arena

Defensive potions to the above poster.

With the shift to a pass dominated game the secondary positions and pass rushers are clearly valued far higher than anything else. Linebackers are generally marginalized in the NFL unless they are the most elite (pass rushers don't count remember - Ware isn't as much a LB, he is a pass rusher who could play RE just as easily).

You can see this through pay structure and draft position - LBs simply don't command the pay or draft status of elite corners or sack artists unless they can generate pressure - ALL the LBs that were drafted early this year were pass rushing LBs.

Last edited by Pandetta; 10-07-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2011, 02:47 PM   #12
Pro

Blue Ninja's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandetta
Defensive potions to the above poster.

With the shift to a pass dominated game the secondary positions and pass rushers are clearly valued far higher than anything else. Linebackers are generally marginalized in the NFL unless they are the most elite (pass rushers don't count remember - Ware isn't as much a LB, he is a pass rusher who could play RE just as easily).

You can see this through pay structure and draft position - LBs simply don't command the pay or draft status of elite corners or sack artists.
I agree with you, but still front line is the most important to me I were to start a team. You could avoid elite corners or safety by not throwing in their dorection. It limits your Playbook for sure but you just can't avoid the the guys upfront no matter what play you call. (doubt any will ever call screens 60 times a game besides it will work so many times before the defense recognize the play.)
Old 10-07-2011, 03:01 PM   #13
Pro

Pandetta's Arena

I tend to agree, if I were building a team I would rather draft my secondary in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and build a great secondary but probably never have the "best" corner in the league while having a ton of good corners and safeties. Meanwhile if you don't draft an elite end in the top 10-15 you will NEVER get one, and the same probably holds true for a truly dominant DT.

To liken it to Madden I'd like to have a 4 80-85 corners rather than one 99, one 87 and some chumps because I could use that money to get a Julius Peppers who then makes all my corners "feel" like Revis from his pressure.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #14
Pro

Blue Ninja's Arena

Quote:
I tend to agree, if I were building a team I would rather draft my secondary in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and build a great secondary but probably never have the "best" corner in the league while having a ton of good corners and safeties. Meanwhile if you don't draft an elite end in the top 10-15 you will NEVER get one, and the same probably holds true for a truly dominant DT.

To liken it to Madden I'd like to have a 4 80-85 corners rather than one 99, one 87 and some chumps because I could use that money to get a Julius Peppers who then makes all my corners "feel" like Revis from his pressure.
yes exactly. I just come out in shot gun majority of the time against Revis and other shutdown corners. Although if I had to pick between a dominating line men or a true shutdown corner I will prb go with a corner...shutdown corner are just hard to find in this pass friendly league. but as a unit def the line men.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:02 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
What do you mean "pass rushers don't count"?

If the league is pass oriented, then a pass rushing, pass coverage LB sounds like it's even more important.

Maybe it's just going for the Ravens - I don't see LBs "marginalized". I mean, who marginalizes Suggs, Lewis, Boulware (in his prime), Scott (in his prime)? And then now McClain and Ellerbee might be the next generation (maybe - they are still developing).

Same with the Bucs - Brooks and Quarles were pretty important to the success of their Cover 2 scheme in coverage.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2011, 08:24 PM   #16
Pro

Pandetta's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
What do you mean "pass rushers don't count"?

If the league is pass oriented, then a pass rushing, pass coverage LB sounds like it's even more important.

Maybe it's just going for the Ravens - I don't see LBs "marginalized". I mean, who marginalizes Suggs, Lewis, Boulware (in his prime), Scott (in his prime)? And then now McClain and Ellerbee might be the next generation (maybe - they are still developing).

Same with the Bucs - Brooks and Quarles were pretty important to the success of their Cover 2 scheme in coverage.

You need to read my whole post - pass rushers don't count as MARGINALIZED linebackers as far as value. there is no question the value of inside linebackers and run-stopping linebackers is nowhere near that of a pass rusher.

I was saying pass rushers are exempt from my statement, not that they are bad, thats why you have to read the whole thread :P. Suggs is a pass rusher for example, and Lewis is an elite LB, which I mentioned is the exception not the rule.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »