Home

I've never beaten the CPU so decisively

This is a discussion on I've never beaten the CPU so decisively within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-08-2011, 01:56 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
I've never beaten the CPU so decisively

I just got through DESTROYING the Packers at Green Bay in the rain 55 - 0. Yes, I went into Green Bay with Carolina and pummelled the Packers. But they way the lost kind of has me scratching my head. All of my games had been close until now. Destroying the best team in the game just doesn't seem right. The CPU fumbled the ball four times and threw a pick in the first half and my team recovered every single fumble. All of these turnovers were within Green Bays 30 yard line. I scored off of every turnover. Does the rain affect ballcarrying that much? The RB had 2 fumbles, TE had one and I hit-sticked Aaron Rodgers with Jon Beason on a QB scramble to force the fourth. Here are a few weird things about this game:

1. The CPU was running the ball well despite all the fumbles. But after entering halftime with me up 34 - 0, the CPU continued to run the ball well into the fourth quarter. This is the highest rated QB in the game at 99 and he has an entire half to mount a comeback, but they don't even try.

2. The CPU QB makes terrible decisions. On the few plays where they did pass, Aaron Rodgers stood back there and looked like he had never seen a defense before. The CPU QB tends to take all day to find an open receiver, even if your DBs aren't that great. In fact, I don't have a single DB rated over 87, but when I use man defense, the CPU seems to have an even harder time finding someone open. THis usually leads to a sack or a QB scramble.

3. I changed the speed threshold from 50 to 40 and I noticed a substantial difference. I was finally able to scramble with Cam Newton and get yards. Before, I was getting run down before I could get 3 yards.
What's weird about the Speed Threshold thing is that it seems like the CPU reacts more slowly. I know that the S.T. shouldn't affect reaction time, but it seems like the defenders took longer to react to my QB scrambling and took longer to reach him. I do feel like this is the perfect game speed for me though. I had been playing on Slow with S. Threshold at 50. I moved ST down to 40 and put speed at Normal and I like the way the game plays. It seems more in sync with actual football speed.

4. What does it take to get on a hot streak? Deangelo Williams rushed 20 times for 145 yards, 1 TD and he's on a cold streak? How is that?

5. This is a question. If I lower my Defensive Reaction Time, will the CPU QB make faster and better passing decisions?

6. My Left DT seems to be the only player on my defense getting off of blocks. I increased the CPU pass blocking, but for some reason, he continuously sacks the QB. Even last season when I had someone else in the same position, the same thing happened. He keeps having games where he'll have like 3 sacks and it's getting kind of ridiculous. I think he has like 13 or 14 sacks and it's only Week 5.

Last edited by macbranson; 10-08-2011 at 02:02 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2011, 02:11 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: I've never beaten the CPU so decisively

From what I have seen playing this game is that you need to keep human sliders at all madden level to get a consistent challenge
Old 10-08-2011, 09:44 AM   #3
Rookie

Ghostciv's Arena

OVR: 1

One thing i've notice playing this game hitting and sacking the qb has a huge affect on them thought out the game/ future games. Played one game where i hit or sack the qb alot in the 1st half cause there online was in bad shape due to injuries. come the 2nd half when my guys where either getting by the o-line the qb either hurried his pass or took off running which kind of makes me mad cause of my settings on defense my lb's will sit there while the qb runs right by him. Have to set my rushing awareness low so the Ai can get a running game going for somewhat real stats.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:36 AM   #4
MVP

Tweeg's Arena

OVR: 12

Another thing I've really noticed is Green Bay sucks soooooooooooo much in this game. I'm in year three of my franchise and they've had a top 5 pick in the first two years. I haven't played a competitive game against them in five chances (my team is not good either).
Old 10-08-2011, 11:33 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbranson
2. The CPU QB makes terrible decisions. On the few plays where they did pass, Aaron Rodgers stood back there and looked like he had never seen a defense before. The CPU QB tends to take all day to find an open receiver, even if your DBs aren't that great. In fact, I don't have a single DB rated over 87, but when I use man defense, the CPU seems to have an even harder time finding someone open. THis usually leads to a sack or a QB scramble.
What are their MCV ratings? OVR is not a factor in game play directly. Jimmy Smith (Ravens) isn't over 87, but if I call man coverage, he's usually on top of his man. Of course, with my pass reactions and INTs where it is (sliders) he still can get beat due to his AWR...

Quote:
4. What does it take to get on a hot streak? Deangelo Williams rushed 20 times for 145 yards, 1 TD and he's on a cold streak? How is that?
Was he on a cold streak before? It depends on his confidence rating. 1-2 is cold, 4-5 is hot. Look at his details and see what his confidence is. Maybe he's at a 2 and another good game will get him out of it.

Quote:
5. This is a question. If I lower my Defensive Reaction Time, will the CPU QB make faster and better passing decisions?
Yes and no. It could help because there's more blow coverages, especially in zone, but it may not help because it doesn't govern decision making directly.

QB Acc governs that more directly. I don't agree with putting it on 90 (that would seem to make all QBs have fast decision, not just the best ones) but you might have to push it up until it plays right for you.

You could also mess with your INT slider, lower it some, which seems to govern ball awareness. Might allow the AI to "gamble" a little more with fitting it into tighter spaces instead of waited for a guy to be completely wide open.

Quote:
6. My Left DT seems to be the only player on my defense getting off of blocks. I increased the CPU pass blocking, but for some reason, he continuously sacks the QB. Even last season when I had someone else in the same position, the same thing happened. He keeps having games where he'll have like 3 sacks and it's getting kind of ridiculous. I think he has like 13 or 14 sacks and it's only Week 5.
Try lowering block shedding for you and pass rush for you.

While it's in the "Run defense" group, block shedding impacts shedding all blocks - including pass blocking. Lowering pass rushing for you will lower the success rate of both pulling off moves and the success of those moves breaking the blocks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2011, 01:50 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Jarodd21's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
QB Acc governs that more directly. I don't agree with putting it on 90 (that would seem to make all QBs have fast decision, not just the best ones) but you might have to push it up until it plays right for you.
Exactly what you said it may seem like all QBs will make quicker decisions but it doesn't work like that. I have it on 100 and I see the difference between lower rated QBs and elite ones.. Cranking the accuracy up just makes all QBs perform to the best of the abilities. It won't make them all play the same as some people assume.. If you call the right defensive schemes bad QBs will still play terrible by floating passes and holding on to the ball a lot.. Elite QBs will shred you..
Old 10-08-2011, 02:03 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarodd21
Exactly what you said it may seem like all QBs will make quicker decisions but it doesn't work like that. I have it on 100 and I see the difference between lower rated QBs and elite ones.. Cranking the accuracy up just makes all QBs perform to the best of the abilities. It won't make them all play the same as some people assume.. If you call the right defensive schemes bad QBs will still play terrible by floating passes and holding on to the ball a lot.. Elite QBs will shred you..
My QB ACC is at 100 and I can have games where the CPU will only throw for a 100 yards. Elite QBs too. I have really good corners though so I expect this. I also have their pass block at 100. I have a lot of the CPU sliders at 100. If the QB is in the pocket longer than 4 seconds then he should be getting sacked a lot. On 4 WR sets I have actually packaged my Dime defense to to have my Pass Rushing DEs inside and my DTs outside. It may not be true to taste, but it tones down the DTs going ham with the Sacks.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:21 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

Jarodd21's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by twimstaxs
My QB ACC is at 100 and I can have games where the CPU will only throw for a 100 yards. Elite QBs too. I have really good corners though so I expect this. I also have their pass block at 100. I have a lot of the CPU sliders at 100. If the QB is in the pocket longer than 4 seconds then he should be getting sacked a lot. On 4 WR sets I have actually packaged my Dime defense to to have my Pass Rushing DEs inside and my DTs outside. It may not be true to taste, but it tones down the DTs going ham with the Sacks.
What level do you have it on with the CPUs pass block at 100? My DTs have a hard time getting sacks with the CPUs pass block on 0 but I have my custom set on All-Madden. I get my sacks with my DEs and LBs but it can be tough sometimes because the CPUs pass block is a little overpowered on All-Madden..

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »