Home

Michael Bush trade away help

This is a discussion on Michael Bush trade away help within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-10-2011, 08:15 PM   #9
Rookie

Conanbryan's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Michael Bush trade away help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhyankees
You are talking about a backup RB here...no team will give you any draft pick for him in real life. He's a decent player but he will not be the franchise back every team wants. Even if someone picks him up they'll be looking to get someone else to start the next year. maybe in your chise if a contending team has all the RB's depleted could you MAYBE get a 6th or 7th for him. Look it up...nobody trades for someone else's backup. He's just not that much better than any free agent they can get.
It's actually more rare to trade starters then trading backups. Teams try to trade for backups because they see something special in those players and hope that they can become starters in a few years.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:54 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert429
Michael Turner, Jerome Harrison, Marshawn Lynch, Brian Leonard, Laurence Maroney

Not to mention a huge number of backup qbs and other position players.

People trade for backups all the time, maybe you should've looked that up

1. turner was a free agent signing.
2. Harrison was traded for another backup HB named Bell. But he was the starter in Cleveland before the cover boy got there.
3. Lynch was a starter.
4. Leonard was a starting FB and part time HB with the Rams.
5. Maroney was a starter who fell out of favor.

Bush is a perennial backup. You stand corrected sir. Teams do trade away starter who disappointed. And they don't give up draft picks to get someone else's perennial backup. Find me a case of a guy who was not a starter (at least for a few seasons prior to his trade) that was traded for a draft pick. They are very few and far between. Maybe there is a backup Qb who ended up starting somewhere (like Schaub) but were they traded for a draft choice? Were they career backups....you'll have a hard time finding any of those. I'm sure there are a FEW out there but generally why would a team trade for someone who is a career backup and give up a draft choice (aka a possible starter_)? Curious to see what you find.

If interested these are my Madden 12 sliders: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...dden-12-a.html
Old 10-11-2011, 04:34 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 2

Lynch was not the starter. He had been relegated to less carries than FJax since the season prior, the Bills drafted Spiller, and the only time Lynch got a bulk of carries was when Buff was trying to showcase him for a trade.

Bush is not a perennial backup either. He's a pretty highly touted back who has shown quite a bit when he's getting the full load, but he is behind an elite talent. He has relatively low tread on his tires, so a team in need of an RB would definitely be interested in him, but he likely won't be able to get a leading role until he becomes a UFA, much like Michael Turner.

Teams do trade for back-ups, because depth is an important part of any football team. Usually a guy is a back up because he's not as good as the lead guy, it just so happens sometimes the lead guy is just one of those guys that very, very few players are better than, so there might be some high talent sitting second on the depth chart.

Ever heard of Tim Hightower? Seem to remember him being a back-up in Arizona and traded to Washington and given the starting gig. It happens. Looks like he may have lost his starting job, though. Guess there was a more talented RB as his back-up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2011, 05:07 AM   #12
Rookie

havokeff's Arena

OVR: 3

Not to throw a monkey wrench in this thread, but Michael Bush would be a starter on most teams. He was great in college and the only reason he wasn't a first round draft pick (projected as a top 10 pick) after his senior year was because he broke his leg in the first game of his last season at Louisville.

The injury was so bad, he was put on the PUP for his rookie season and it literally took him almost 3 years to get back up to speed. If it weren't for McFadden, he would be the Raider's starter.

It's like saying Michael Turner is a perennial back up because he is behind Ladanian Tomlinson.

Regardless, he was a 4th round pick and would probably rate a 4th round pick.

Edit: As some people before me have already pointed out.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:09 AM   #13
Rookie

Ghostciv's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhyankees
1. turner was a free agent signing.
2. Harrison was traded for another backup HB named Bell. But he was the starter in Cleveland before the cover boy got there.
3. Lynch was a starter.
4. Leonard was a starting FB and part time HB with the Rams.
5. Maroney was a starter who fell out of favor.

Bush is a perennial backup. You stand corrected sir. Teams do trade away starter who disappointed. And they don't give up draft picks to get someone else's perennial backup. Find me a case of a guy who was not a starter (at least for a few seasons prior to his trade) that was traded for a draft pick. They are very few and far between. Maybe there is a backup Qb who ended up starting somewhere (like Schaub) but were they traded for a draft choice? Were they career backups....you'll have a hard time finding any of those. I'm sure there are a FEW out there but generally why would a team trade for someone who is a career backup and give up a draft choice (aka a possible starter_)? Curious to see what you find.
Ryan Grant traded for a 6th round pick
Guess you dont watch collage football but bush was a beast and would of been a 1st or early 2nd round pick had he not broken his leg. Like the guy above me said if not for McFadden bush would be a top back in the league.

Last edited by Ghostciv; 10-11-2011 at 06:13 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:14 AM   #14
Rookie

havokeff's Arena

OVR: 3

Brett Farve.
Matt Hasselbeck.

Both backups that were traded away for draft picks. Hasselbeck fitting exactly into your ridiculous arbitrary conditions. lol
Old 10-11-2011, 08:44 AM   #15
Rookie

Ghostciv's Arena

OVR: 1

Steve Young Although not yet a backup during the season but team drafted a qb in 1st round to replace him as starter, Kurt waner, Mark Brunell, Kevin Kolb, Ryan Grant, just to name a few back-ups that where traded away for draft picks. each had good careers besides kolb so far when they got the chance to be full time starter.

Last edited by Ghostciv; 10-11-2011 at 08:47 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2011, 10:06 AM   #16
MVP

OVR: 9

Lynch averaged about 220 carries his first 3 years and ran for 1000 yards twice...that's some backup...those are starter numbers. Bush averaged about 50-55 during the same period. That's a perennial backup. And by the way...Fred Jackson (the man who someone is saying was the starter to Lynch's backup role) had 587 carries during the same period that Lynch was carrying over 650 times. In fact the only reason he lost his starting job was due to injuries and more so, his legal issues. He missed game due to suspension and injury. The Bills didn't necessarily feel Jackson was better, but rather was less likely to get hurt and/or in trouble.
Backup QB's may have been signed for draft picks in many cases (I'm still not sure how many) but I will stand corrected on that end. I also imagine if I dug into this I'd find many more backups who were acquired without giving up draft picks. I believe the names brought up here were exceptions and indeed some, like Lynch were NOT backups for their career.

If Bush is traded for a draft pick I'll also admit I'm wrong then. Right now though as I said, teams are not likely to trade a draft pick for a backup runner when they can draft a potential starter using that pick. ARe there some exceptions to that, I guess so....but by and large backups don't get draft picks in a trade, except perhaps for a QB, and often they'd shown some promise in whatever starts they did get.

I will admit that I worded my statement in a blanket manner, always a dangerous and careless move, although many of the backup runners mentioned here turned out not to be backups or were NOT traded for draft picks.

To restate my point, more accurately I hope now:
It's not likely a team will trade a draft pick for a perennial backup runner. Team generally don't trade draft picks unless they believe they are getting a long range starter out of it, which is quite rare. There are some exceptions but by and large I stand by THIs statement being true.

If interested these are my Madden 12 sliders: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...dden-12-a.html

Last edited by mjhyankees; 10-11-2011 at 10:25 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »