Home

What Would You Change in The Passing Game.

This is a discussion on What Would You Change in The Passing Game. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-12-2011, 12:43 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: What Would You Change in The Passing Game.

Believe it or not, I would like to see the old QB vision back. It really made a difference for good and great QB's, plus you can look off the defense.

I'd like to see some of the defensive reactions fixed as well, such as the cornerback being able to make a play, and watching as the receiver makes an easy deep catch.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:45 PM   #18
Pro

OVR: 0

1)QB Vision........ I was a huge fan of QB Vision. They should bring it back. I don't know y the removed it. You had the option to turn it off.
2) Better pocket........It's gotten progressively better over the years, but still needs work
3) WR/DB Awareness....... I've played several games where the receiver will attempt to catch a pass in a place where the ball doesn't even appear to be headed. For instance, my WR reached to his left to catch a pass that was coming on his right. That's just ridiculous. DBs go for the ball more than receivers do. And they make plays without seeing the ball. EA needs to fix the "head tracking" thing and implement it more consistently.

4) WR aggression......... Receivers will often make a very half hearted effort to catch the ball, resulting in too many INTs. Not once on this game have I seen a receiver reach or lay out or dive to catch a pass. Receivers should fight for the ball; positioning their bodies, blocking out the DB and jumping to get high passes. Receivers don't do any of these things. And there's no physical interaction at all with defenders while the ball is in the air. If they created some sort of interaction, maybe we would actually see a pass interference penalty.

5) Too many sacks/ INTs.......... I don't know if it's just me, but on default All Pro, there are WAY Too many sacks and interceptions. That applies to the user and CPU. #4 above explains the problem with the INTs, but there are way too many sacks. The CPU is especially prone to getting sacked 5+ times per game.

6) Leading the Receiver.......... There is a Route Running attribute, but I really can't tell how it affects the game. Plus, you can't really lead receivers so it's useless anyway.

7)
Old 10-12-2011, 04:48 PM   #19
Rookie

Boling4Humor's Arena

OVR: 3

I enjoyed the QB Vision. Seemed to be the best tool for Awareness imo. Very fun to develop a QB with low AWR and watch it develop over seasons from a small cone to a large cone.

I doubt we'll ever see it again though.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:15 PM   #20
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21

DB's are too perfect in their coverage

#18 greatest EVA....
Old 10-12-2011, 10:48 PM   #21
MVP

mburke2's Arena

OVR: 8

1) Route-based passing- If my WR is running a Dig route I want to be able to throw the ball before he cuts and have it go to where he should end up (near the middle of the field) instead of where he's heading (downfield).

2) General WR/DB interaction- better physicality at the LOS, more varied results on the jam, jostling for position downfield on routes, using body position to fight for the ball, and hopefully more opportunities for legitimate and natural PI penalties as a result.

3) WR aggressiveness- big physical WRs like Fitz, Megatron, Andre, Nicks, Colston need to be more aggressive fighting for the ball and going up to get it, especially on deep jump balls and fade routes in the end zone. No more of this "I'll continue to run my route, pretend like the ball will come to me and watch it get picked off." Sick of seeing those out of place animations due to lack of aggressiveness.

4) DB procedural awareness- make the defenders actually have to turn around to look for the ball before they can make a play on it. Can't stand when the DBs blindly jump and swat or intercept passes they're not even looking at. The most bothersome thing is how unrealistic it looks that all defenders seem to know exactly where the pass is headed as soon as its thrown, and leave their assignments and head that way even when they aren't looking at where the QB threw the ball.

5) Pass trajectories- there are virtually only 2 types of pass trajectories in this game: low bullet passes that only stay about 6 feet off the ground allowing LBs to knock down passes intended 20 yds downfield; and soft lobs that hang up for so long DBs are able to make up ground and get to the WR on time to make a play on the ball. Its about time we get trajectories that can work properly against Cover 2 by putting passes over the squatting corners but in front of deep safeties, and have proper height and touch to get over LBs in the middle of the field but drop right in between coverage.

6) This one sort of goes along with #4 but it also applies to offensive players as well. I HATE how everyone on the field knows exactly where the ball "target" is on the field and they seem to head there immediately when the ball is thrown, whether or not the pass is on target (as in the WR magically breaking off his route to make a play on the ball even though he's not looking for the pass yet) or the players are even looking at where the pass was thrown. There has to be a way to make this more organic and realistic.
Red Sox

Twitter: @mburke2_08
PSN: mburke2_08
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2011, 02:05 AM   #22
MVP

phant030's Arena

OVR: 14

1. Reduce user agility. Add transition animations that take over aggressive users out of the play and the opposite, leave passive users out of the play. Same w/ CPU players...they cant cover everyone in an area on the field, shouldnt be able to jump the short route then recover for the deep route also.

2. More on target inaccurate passing. I should not have to throw low to see low catch animations. This is how spectacular catches are made, too. Because its there but you have to make a play on the ball.

3. I think pass trajectory is tied to original dropback depth. When users drop back too far, the trajectory of the pass is thrown off. b/c the game wants u in a particular place. There are bullets/medium/lob passes. I'm ok with the trajectories of the game.

Here is a NCAA video of me throwing over the LB into the space behind the zone...Medium Touch on the pass. No super LB.

4. Decisions. Option to play conservative or aggressive on the zone. So we can adapt to the situation.

5. Maybe an Area Spotlight. To allow defenders to focus more on an area of the field.

6. More fatigue and Injuries. Help w/ all the jump catching...small slot WRs getting punishes for over the middle catches, etc

7. More Catch animations. Different catch packages. Separating WR and DB catch animations. I HATE seeing synchronized catch attempts.

8. More Option Routes and optional route depth [awareness determined]...why do i have to tell him to run to the first down marker EVERYTIME? Last week i saw Henderson run a short in....b/c the d was in zone he stopped running in the hole instead of continuing across the field. You can control this somewhat on Madden by throwing behind the reciever w/ precision passing...but i kinda would like for players to have their "own minds" sometimes.

9. Kinda like number 8......have defenders sink if no one threatens their zone...or if a HB stays, the LB decides to rush or cover....or if this guy has ran an out 6x in a row, i should not have to tell him to shade outside...I knw as a user i have to make adjustments, but these are things my "players" should pick up on, too.

Last edited by phant030; 10-13-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:19 AM   #23
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

What's driving me nuts is QB's who can't throw a swing pass.

The way the QB's are rated where they have 75 SAC 23.6 MAC and 99 DAC has to go. if the guy can throw to a back shoulder 40 yards downfield, he can do it from 12.

I'd also like to see the field art extended. Just put more physical "space" between the yard markers so 5 to 7 yard slants aren't 15 yard completions before any YAC

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »