Home

What's holding Madden back? Why doesn't it have a 90+ rating on Metacritic?

This is a discussion on What's holding Madden back? Why doesn't it have a 90+ rating on Metacritic? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-11-2011, 09:44 PM   #17
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: What's holding Madden back? Why doesn't it have a 90+ rating on Metacritic?

@blackceasar, a few years ago that post would have made me want to start an "Occupy the NFL/EA" movement. LOL

However, now, even though I think that post was spot on for describing the past 6 years, I believe something has changed. Granted I could be wrong as two left shoes but Madden 12, even with it's obvious legacy flaws, felt like the start of something different.

I am all in for Madden 13, no small bets, it's either make or break for me. If after all the talk and changes that seem to have taken place with EA football, Madden 13 is still not something special, nobody can convince me it ever will be. I am not even mad or that frustrated anymore about it. I bought Madden 12 on release night and eventually traded it in for NBA2k12 but not because it was a bad game. It's because I refuse to accept anything less than what I believe is a quality NFL simulation game, on par with other available quality sports games, from now on.

No amount of slogans, first class commished/membered Online franchises, NFL "jonesing" or well intentioned slider sets, will entice me to "make the best" of Madden anymore. When people start raving about how great Madden 13 is and they will regardless of it's true or not, I will "trust but verify" by rental.

To the OP's questions, low expectations are holding Madden back. As much as some people hope Madden gets better, they don't expect it to. That's why even when the game has the same legacy issues and some rehashed features that don't work as well as they did the first time around, people male the best of it. They do that by focusing on the things the game does well, trying to User improve/work around what's not quite right and pretty much trying to ignore what's obviously fubar.

When a majority of sports gamer start to expect a quality NFL simulation video game, made by EA, on par with other current sport's simulation games and refuse to buy anything less, supply and demand dictates that's exactly what Madden will have to become.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:03 PM   #18
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackceasar
I see what you're saying, but wouldnt you agree that even with the issues 2k has, overall it's still a singinfigantly superior basketball title than what EA has been shoveling people? With that said, the reason why 2k Sports can do things like the Jordan's great games, and the old teams, and all these other "add ons" that they use in thier marketing campaigns is because they have done the CORE of the game enough justice that they can go and focus on these extra gimicks and stuff where EA spends too much time focusing on the gimicks to build marketing campaigns around and have not even done a decent job with the "CORE" of thier title.
I'm curious what you think is a marketing gimmick for 12? I can't think of one, myself.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:06 PM   #19
MVP

NFCastle's Arena

OVR: 17

Because it doesn't deserve a 90+ rating.

It deserves a 70 rating at best.

That answer your question?
Old 10-11-2011, 11:09 PM   #20

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFCastle
Because it doesn't deserve a 90+ rating.

It deserves a 70 rating at best.

That answer your question?
No?

What does your response have anything to do with a marketing gimmick?
Old 10-12-2011, 12:54 AM   #21
Banned

OVR: 11

^ I don't think he was responding to the marketing gimmick, but to the OP.

Anyways, I've said my piece on Madden a thousand times, and honestly, blackcaesar said it better than I ever could, so I'm gonna let him to do the talking, lol.

He's 1000% correct.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2011, 06:57 AM   #22
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportjames23
Yeah, use one message board to make your point. Meanwhile, sales and reviews say the opposite.

Yeah....I love this years Madden. I could care less what anyone thinks.

Most fun I have had with Madden in 6-7 years.

And sales (forget reviews one persons opinion and I don't trust any of them) say Madden 12 has been a success. And the game keeps selling....so obviosuly the majority of Madden players really love playing Madden.

Madden sales can't be denied. That is the bottom line.

I am not saying it can't be improved. It surely can. Presentation needs a complete overhaul. It needs to be in the same class of 2K12 and The Show. I can tell you if it did...most of the chatter would die down. There will always be players who will never like Maddens style of video game football. no matter what.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 10-12-2011, 07:03 AM   #23
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise408
^ I don't think he was responding to the marketing gimmick, but to the OP.

Anyways, I've said my piece on Madden a thousand times, and honestly, blackcaesar said it better than I ever could, so I'm gonna let him to do the talking, lol.

He's 1000% correct.

He has a good post. But he is being very naive about one thing.

EA is not responsible for the exclusive. I don't know why people can't understand that the Mothership known as the "NFL" wanted to sell the exclusive.

They wiped out not only 2K, but NFL QB club, NFL Gameday, NFL Fever. etc etc etc. And don't tell me those other titles were superior to Madden. I tried them all.... and I always went back to Madden.

The NFL is the sole offender in wiping out the NFL video game competition. EA only did what any business would. They pounced on a chance to be the exclusive. Just like 2K did with the MLB license wiping out EA's MVP Baseball which was the better game!!!

They made a major business decision. EA had the deepest pockets.....but the rousing success of a great franchise named

John Madden Football made this possible.

Come on people.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23

Last edited by Armor and Sword; 10-12-2011 at 07:06 AM.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:00 AM   #24
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Wasn't expanded rosters, player cuts, etc a new gimmick this year. Now they cut all of their decent backups and leave fictional players all over the place.

Oh the other new gimmick was the new pre-game players running onto the field, improved atmosphere. They hyped those videos. Too bad commentary is so bad, it totally takes away from the experience. Mark Ingram apparantly plays LB for almost every team because Gus Johnson keeps calling out it was him on the tackle.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »