Home

When did physics change?

This is a discussion on When did physics change? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-12-2011, 10:30 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
When did physics change?

This is the first Madden game I've owned since Madden 08 and I just noticed something. Yesterday, I played the Falcons and one of the leading tacklers on my team was Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. What's surprising about that is that he had like 5 solo open field tackles on huge players. On one play, Michael Turner broke free and DRC was the only person in his path and I was thinking "well, he's gona score a touchdown". But DRC tackled him. Not only did he tackle him, he plowed into him and knocked him backwards. I was glad that he stopped the run, but give me a break.DRC weighs about 180 and Turners weighs 245 and was running full speed. And DRC's tackling rating sucks. After this play, I started paying attention to the tackling throughout the game. DRC did the same thing to Tony Gonzalez later in the game and Tony weighs around 260. Then my 200 lb safety with 65 tacklingclobbererd Turner again on a 3rd and short and stopped him from converting. Now, I'm glad that my guys are making plays, but I thought the tackling system was supposed to be more realistic and it obviously isn't. Even on 08, bigger guys would overpower smaller guys.

I'm going to adjust my sliders to try and fix this, but in general there are way too many big hits in this game. And a lot of those hits come from players who have no business even attempting to deliver these hits. Like, why is a 180 lb CB trying to deliver a big hit to a 245 lb RB with 99 Trucking? I sure as hell didn't use the "hit stick" to do it. More importantly, why is it working?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 10
Re: When did physics change?

I've noticed it a lot too. It's sorta like playing bad teams in NCAA Football, the tackles are very realistic. Once you start playing better teams, 2 out of 3 hits are bone crushing.

Back to madden, last night I was the hawks using hyphy boy, getting stopped in my tracks by mike Jenkins and Terrance Newman. While the hawks line isn't great, if lynch is in the open field I will take the bet that he will be falling forward more often than not in real life, and it should be reflected in the game
Old 10-12-2011, 01:13 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 15

I have my tackling sliders turned down to about 15 and it's a lot more realistic. You don't see very many big hits in the game. I also turn down my break tackles to about 30 to even it out.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:13 AM   #4
KOV
Rookie

OVR: 0

It's slightly difficult to pin it down. I think they yanked out the legacy generation physics engine AFTER madden 08 360/ps3. It's strange because I recall playing 07 ( never touched 06) and wondering what happened to the player movement/interaction. Then, I recall actually liking 08 because it seemed to have reverted back to the legacy gen movement.

After 08 is when the dev team stated they were going to make the players more responsive, and that's when the weightless iceskating players appeared (09) which destroyed the physics that we once had. It's been that way ever since.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 6

There isn't a true to life physics engine in Madden 12. Meaning weight, speed, acceleration and strength are not calculated at the time of a collision.

Player interactions (animations between two or more players) are pre-canned and only determined by player ratings and current skill level played on. I assume the reason for the lack of a real life physics engine is because EA feels the current gen systems can't handle all of those calculations.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2011, 03:23 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 6

I should add that the reason you see 180 pound defensive backs tackling the likes of Hillis and Blount is mainly due to the skill level you're playing on. Allpro and All Madden skew the ratings to benefit the CPU a little to much IMHO.

You did the right thing in adjusting the sliders.

Imagine my frustration in that I primarily play ranked games online and don't have the ability to adjust sliders. I mainly play with Tampa and see Blount tackled in the open field by smaller DB's all to often.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:24 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 8

Someone should explain that Madden is not real.

Later
Old 10-13-2011, 03:25 PM   #8
Pro

Pandetta's Arena

OVR: 8

The truly annoying thing for me, is that open field tackles are brutal highlight film material - HOWEVER when you try to tackle an immobile quarterback in the backfield who couldn't break a toddler's arm tackle they shrug you off 2-3 times no matter who you are using.

I'm sorry, Tom Brady and Manning are great QBs, but tackle breaking machines that toss Ndamukong Suh into the dirt like a five-year-old child, they are not.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »