Home

How do I run RB Screens?

This is a discussion on How do I run RB Screens? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-15-2011, 02:04 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 13
How do I run RB Screens?

I'm having an issue using the screen in this years game. WR screens are no problem. Even TE screens I can work. But HB screens just don't work for me.

The way the HB's route is, he'll stop, run a bit, then turn back for the ball. At what point do I throw it? In last years game, I'd drop with my QB and as soon as my RB started running, I'd get it to him with a hard pass. In this years game, I can't do that. Either the throw is too early and the blocks don't set up, or it's too late and my QB gets hit.

Help!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2011, 02:49 PM   #2
Rookie

ghostlight85's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: How do I run RB Screens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meast21Forever
I'm having an issue using the screen in this years game. WR screens are no problem. Even TE screens I can work. But HB screens just don't work for me.

The way the HB's route is, he'll stop, run a bit, then turn back for the ball. At what point do I throw it? In last years game, I'd drop with my QB and as soon as my RB started running, I'd get it to him with a hard pass. In this years game, I can't do that. Either the throw is too early and the blocks don't set up, or it's too late and my QB gets hit.

Help!
I drop back and throw it as soon as the RB releases outside the tackle, but you CAN'T bullet pass. You have to lob. It also only works if called against the right defenses. It's a nice risk/reward in this year's game. It can gouge a defense for 30+ yards or get blown up for a loss of 5.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:17 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

I noticed a problem in 08, where even a sure-handed RB will drop a screen pass. Wondering if this is something they've just never fixed?

http://www.torontogrudlies.com
Old 10-15-2011, 03:34 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlight85
I drop back and throw it as soon as the RB releases outside the tackle, but you CAN'T bullet pass. You have to lob. It also only works if called against the right defenses. It's a nice risk/reward in this year's game. It can gouge a defense for 30+ yards or get blown up for a loss of 5.
Ok, so I have to lob. Do I aim it or just let go of the stick and lob? It seems like when I lob it, I throw it too close to the sideline and it ends up going to far from my pulling linemen.

I know when to run it, it just seems like I can't execute it. Frustrating...
Old 10-15-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
Rookie

ghostlight85's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meast21Forever
Ok, so I have to lob. Do I aim it or just let go of the stick and lob? It seems like when I lob it, I throw it too close to the sideline and it ends up going to far from my pulling linemen.

I know when to run it, it just seems like I can't execute it. Frustrating...
I let go of the stick and lob. I think you must be waiting too long to throw it if you are throwing to the sideline. I really am more watching the Defensive line for when to throw. As soon as the DE on the right side is into the backfield and the HB has released onto his route, I tap the button. If you wait until he is too far into his route, the lob has to go farther and will float to the sideline, or you'll get hit before you can throw. Just after his release.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2011, 03:50 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlight85
I let go of the stick and lob. I think you must be waiting too long to throw it if you are throwing to the sideline. I really am more watching the Defensive line for when to throw. As soon as the DE on the right side is into the backfield and the HB has released onto his route, I tap the button. If you wait until he is too far into his route, the lob has to go farther and will float to the sideline, or you'll get hit before you can throw. Just after his release.
Hmm.. see I've been watching the running back and where he is in his route. I've never even thought to watch the DE.

Thanks for the help man. I'll work on it.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:20 PM   #7
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27

Yeah keep drifting back slightly to draw the defense to you, and you should see everything set up, with your RB getting in the clear with blockers ahead of him. Then just lay it out there, not a bullet or a lob, but somewhere in between.

I think the screen game is done really well in Madden 12. Because sometimes you will see the defense snuff it out, and you can see it happening when they do.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:28 PM   #8
MVP

Champion8877's Arena

OVR: 14

i drop straight back like 10 steps lol otherwise i get sacked, and i wait and as soon as the RB starts to turn around i bullet the pass. sometimes it works for like 20+ yards, but also sometimes it is stupid and my guys dont block so i lose yards.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »