Home

It makes more sense to go for it on 4th down in Madden than in RL

This is a discussion on It makes more sense to go for it on 4th down in Madden than in RL within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-17-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
MVP

poopoop's Arena

OVR: 4
It makes more sense to go for it on 4th down in Madden than in RL

People always say that it's cheese to go for it on 4th down in Madden and I don't think that's right at all. We should be more aggressive in general about going for it on 4th.

You don't have to worry about your players / coaches losing confidence or having emotional reactions. My Qb won't have his confidence wrecked if he throws an INT. My team won't won't have a bad reaction that'll carry over into the next game.

You don't have to worry about momentum really.

You don't have to worry about the fans / media drilling you for your decision. Don't have to worry about getting fired cause you roll the dice too often.

Only thing you have to worry about is field position and whether or not you have a play that can get the first. There's less consequences you have to worry about so you should be more willing to take the risk. Especially if it's in a game against another human who is (should be) able to adjust to it.

Too often I feel people just punt because it's the "right" thing to do or they don't want to hurt feelings. I've had people rage at me before for going for it but they only get mad the times it works.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2011, 11:54 AM   #2
Banned

Redskins_Hokies's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: It makes more sense to go for it on 4th down in Madden than in RL

because some players like myself try to play it like a real game
Old 10-17-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
MVP

poopoop's Arena

In real games coaches go for it when they believe the positives outweigh the negatives, or the game situation forces them to.

That's exactly what I'm advocating.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:21 PM   #4
Pro

DiddyGotGrillz's Arena

OVR: 11

Let me guess...you run a HB screen on every play too.

I hate people that constantly go for it on 4th down. Yeah, if you're down by 7 with two minutes to go in the game on the fifty (out of field goal range) go for it. But if it's 4 and 3 on your own 30 - punt it away.

Just another reason why I mostly despise playing online.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:23 PM   #5
Pro

DiddyGotGrillz's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopoop
In real games coaches go for it when they believe the positives outweigh the negatives, or the game situation forces them to.

Maybe you should be more specific in your original post - nowhere did you advocate for going for it "when the positives outweigh the negatives," but rather just "being more aggressive" in general.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2011, 12:27 PM   #6
Pro

Pandetta's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopoop

Right but what people are trying to tell you, is that in a real game all those negatives would actually exist - and you are ignoring that fact. For good or for bad.

Basically what you are doing is highlighting the fact that Madden is a video game and not everyone wants that. Some people, and probably most people on this website, would like their experience to mirror the NFL as closely as they can which is contrary to that sentiment.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:29 PM   #7
Pro

Arrowhead21's Arena

OVR: 1

Madden 12 online is a joke.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:30 PM   #8
MVP

poopoop's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiddyGotGrillz
Maybe you should be more specific in your original post - nowhere did you advocate for going for it "when the positives outweigh the negatives," but rather just "being more aggressive" in general.
I think the positives outweigh the negatives more often in Madden, which is why people should be more aggressive about it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »