Home

Should I start a 64 rating QB

This is a discussion on Should I start a 64 rating QB within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-17-2011, 04:00 PM   #1
Rookie

sabastiane's Arena

OVR: 0
Should I start a 64 rating QB

I've started a franchise with the Dolphins and I'm going into my final preason game. So far Henne hasn't done anything with a QB rating of 18.0, 113 yards and 5 ints and no TDs. Pat Devlin who's rated 64, has done much better. 106.9 QB rating, 473 yards and 3 TDs/1 int.
Now that hasn't all been against 2nd and 3rd strings. I've been playing him against the first string defense too. What do you guys think?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2011, 04:02 PM   #2
Fear The Spear

37's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: Should I start a 64 rating QB

Go with whoever u think gives u the best chance to win
Old 10-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
MVP

Champion8877's Arena

OVR: 14

like the other guys said, go with who you can win with. there are certain guys i seem to do well with(mobile guys who i can move around and by time till i get someone open and take my time) and guys i just suck with(pocket guys like manning who are to slow to move around much with and i have to throw quick or else i get sacked
Old 10-17-2011, 05:34 PM   #4
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabastiane
I've started a franchise with the Dolphins and I'm going into my final preason game. So far Henne hasn't done anything with a QB rating of 18.0, 113 yards and 5 ints and no TDs. Pat Devlin who's rated 64, has done much better. 106.9 QB rating, 473 yards and 3 TDs/1 int.
Now that hasn't all been against 2nd and 3rd strings. I've been playing him against the first string defense too. What do you guys think?
Are you going to be playing the games yourself or simming? If you are simming, you might want to go with the guy with the higher ratings -- namely awareness.

If you are playing the games, go with who you are most comfortable with. I don't know your scheme, or what type of game you want to play, but if his throwing ratings match up with the passing attack you want to employ, then the overall is nill. I always put lower overalls ahead of highers if they've got a skill I'm looking for, like a lowly rated DE that may have exceptional speed and finesse/power moves.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:52 PM   #5
Pro

yankees028's Arena

OVR: 0

ratings to me is just a number... I dont know how many guys that make it on my team 65-70 ratings that out perform there rating and people x2 better then them. There are so many soild guys with low ratings soly because EA puts there awareness at like 30. I have Nate Davis as my QB in my expansion chise. He makes huge plays for me and has a ton of yards granted he makes some stupid throws and usally gets and int a game. But I would rather earn my wins and build up a QB then just grab a QB thats is a 90
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2011, 05:55 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

I had an interesting case in a franchise I was doing like this one. There were two rookie UFA QBs, one clearly with A potential and a rating in the 70s to start with (80s throwing ratings across the board), and one with throwing ratings in the 60s and an F potential.

In every imaginable context, splitting time with starters on the line, backfield, and receivers, the lower rated guy outplayed the other guy by a wide margin. I kept the lower rated guy. He wound up with a 46 rating. He had a nice PA rating, though, and played fine for me.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:22 PM   #7
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

OVR: 15

I signed Troy Smith to be my QB in my Dolphins Franchise.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:39 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabastiane

Step 1 - Forget about player OVR.

Step 2 - Evaluate individual skills. Is one more mobile? Does one have better S/M/DAC? How about AWR? Heck, even CAR, especially if you like to run, because you don't want fumbles to ruin a mobile QB or give up strip sacks since you can't cover the ball on sacks.

Step 3 - Evaluate how you play QB. Do you like mobile QBs? What passes do you throw a lot? Air it out? 5-7 yd west coast stuff? Do you like play action?

Now, having done that - decide which QB matches more of your skills. Or, take them into practice and run some of your plays you like. See how each QB handles them vs a defense. Who makes sharper throws? Who has better timing for you? If hit, who holds on to the ball better?

The one you should start is the one that matches both your play style as well as your play calling and team personnel, imo. Sometimes, that's the player with less "raw talent" according to OVR.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »