Home

Which do you think is better? Madden 11 or Madden 12?

This is a discussion on Which do you think is better? Madden 11 or Madden 12? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Which do you think is better? Madden 11 or Madden 12?
Madden 11 21 17.50%
Madden 12 99 82.50%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-18-2011, 02:32 PM   #1
Banned

kpkpkp's Arena

OVR: 13
Which do you think is better? Madden 11 or Madden 12?

I'm curious what the community thinks about this question.

After the patches and feedback about both games. Plus spending many hours playing both myself, I feel as though Madden 12 has taken a step BACK from Madden 11.

Let me explaing the main issues that makes me feel this way;

-The UDFA/cut days issue. This addition to madden this year I feel was a good idea that was poorly implemented and not tested enough. CPU teams see UDFA's as being rated "99?" while their real rating is in the 40's-50's with F potential. The CPU will then decide to keep these UDFA's while cutting guys with A potential and higher OVR because the CPU "thinks" the UDFA is better. This issue has mired Off-Line franchise mode for me, forcing many gamers to controll all 32 teams to get CPU teams to somewhat make realistic cuts.

Whats worse is EA has stated the cut days and UDFA's are "working as intended." Which means they will not patch it and do not see it as an issue. This means we are stuck with a broken system. I'm shocked that after so much negative feedback EA does not see this as an issue.

-Disproportionate player builds, and shoulder pads. Have you ever looked at some of these generated players from draft classes or imported classes or UDFA's on the field? Their should pads are commically massive at times, some have a chest builds that literally makes it looks like they have breast implants. Other times DT's in generated classes weigh under 200lbs!

I just dont understand how something as simple as shoulder pads or height and weight ratio's could be flubbed up. Especially when everything was fine last year.

-What happened to finesse moves?? I dont need to get into this one much, since its so widely talked about. But controlling characters at the line of scrimmage is booooring. Finesse moves are useless. Go ahead, play a game and try and use finesse moves, see if you can EVER shed a block and get to the QB. Go ahead try it.

-Audio/Commentary-Now that the patch has come, most of us were dissapointed to find the audio popping, number calling instead of names, and QB and RB intro's have not been fixed. At least last year players were referred to by their names... I dont understand how something that was technically unchanged could suddenly get bugged because it was fine last year.

-WEATHER- I know the "rain days" were addressed in a patch. And pre-determined weather was an issue in M11. But let me just say this... LET US MANUALLY EDIT WEATHER IN FRANCHISE MODE. We can edit salary cap, team locations, player ratings, force trades and ther un-worldly things... why not let us have control of weather? It's MY FRANCHISE you big fat jerks...

So what do you guys think? Was M11 better? And why?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Which do you think is better? Madden 11 or Madden 12?

Madden 12 and it isn't even close.

Why?

Better on the field gameplay for me. The zones are played tighter, the run blocking goes into the second tier, DPP, hot and cold streaks. I like the addition of custom playbooks this year too.

I hated the game play much more on 11 because you could outscore the AI verily easily.

Yeah, the UFDA are disappointing, even with a workaround, but we didn't have UFDA's last year so, hard to compare that.

Plus, I think it's a bit early for this too. Who knows if tuners and a patch or two more will help game play. The last patch for Madden last year was a surprise that was delivered a few weeks before xmas. I quit playing last year after the last patch dropped. I don't see that happening this year.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:48 PM   #3
Banned

kpkpkp's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Madden 12 and it isn't even close.

Why?

Better on the field gameplay for me. The zones are played tighter, the run blocking goes into the second tier, DPP, hot and cold streaks. I like the addition of custom playbooks this year too.

I hated the game play much more on 11 because you could outscore the AI verily easily.

Yeah, the UFDA are disappointing, even with a workaround, but we didn't have UFDA's last year so, hard to compare that.

Plus, I think it's a bit early for this too. Who knows if tuners and a patch or two more will help game play. The last patch for Madden last year was a surprise that was delivered a few weeks before xmas. I quit playing last year after the last patch dropped. I don't see that happening this year.
Im glad you replied Roadman. I value your opinion here highly.

I agree with what you said about gameplay. However as an avid supporter of custom sliders, I feel as though gameplay itself can be manipulated enough through sliders to create a genuine challenge in Madden 11. I dont feel that this year as much though, mostly because of the finesse move... Or lack thereof... No amount of slider adjusting has been able to remedy the poor/unexciting line play for me this year.

The addition of hot and cold streaks is awesome though, that is a good point. And it greatly affects gameplay when you have to give extra attention to a hot player. So lets agree to disagree on the game play front.

As for the UDFA issue.

I think you can compare M11 and M12 on this issue. Mostly because the lack of a UDFA system in M11 means M11 implemented it better.

Think about it... if you had an option in M12 to turn off UDFA generating and cut days... would you turn it off? I know I sure would.

So in my mind no UDFA/cuts days in M11 is better than what we have in M12. Thus M11 had it better. Cuz it didnt have it have it at all :P
Old 10-18-2011, 02:57 PM   #4
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpkpkp
Im glad you replied Roadman. I value your opinion here highly.

I agree with what you said about gameplay. However as an avid supporter of custom sliders, I feel as though gameplay itself can be manipulated enough through sliders to create a genuine challenge in Madden 11. I dont feel that this year as much though, mostly because of the finesse move... Or lack thereof... No amount of slider adjusting has been able to remedy the poor/unexciting line play for me this year.

The addition of hot and cold streaks is awesome though, that is a good point. And it greatly affects gameplay when you have to give extra attention to a hot player. So lets agree to disagree on the game play front.

As for the UDFA issue.

I think you can compare M11 and M12 on this issue. Mostly because the lack of a UDFA system in M11 means M11 implemented it better.

Think about it... if you had an option in M12 to turn off UDFA generating and cut days... would you turn it off? I know I sure would.

So in my mind no UDFA/cuts days in M11 is better than what we have in M12. Thus M11 had it better. Cuz it didnt have it have it at all :P
I don't disagree, but there is a workaround too by controlling all 32 teams. I'm not in favor of jerryrigging everything to work, but I'll do what I have to.

I just know for me, it's all about playing between the tackles. And I'm loving the game play aspect so much better than 11 even with sliders.

Commentary, big disappointment, but I know they will be working on that next year.

I've respected your opinion throughout the years too kp, just disagree on Madden 11 being a better playing game than 12.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 0

Madden 12 is just a better game...It's not the real football game that can and should have already been made up to this date...That's why i would love to see another company be able to make a NFL game. Just to see what them & EA can really push out on the 360 n PS3...Who ever Makes the 1st NFL game that makes you feel like you are setting there on Sunday game-day..far as per-game shows, Half time show/team break down..And yes game play has to be good also...Who ever offers gamers that feeling 1st...Will win the Football war....Cause we all want that feeling..Last time we came close to that feeling was 2K5...from per-game shows, to picking what you wanted your player to work on for that week, from watching films to weight lifting...that part was cool..................
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2011, 03:18 PM   #6
Rookie

Slim4824's Arena

OVR: 2
I have to go with madden 12. With 11 it didn't matter what slider set was used it was easy to put up 400 yards passing a game. This year the defense is back. Kinda reminds me of Madden 05.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2011, 03:44 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

I'm actually going to say Madden 12 is simply a lateral move from Madden 11 (having owned both and played them extensively). There's alot of good ideas in '12 that if properly executed would've propelled it ahead, but right now the faults are just too much for me.

Gameplay-wise simply on the field, while different, i agree with what's been said: Defense is back. I was putting up MVP numbers with Jimmy Clausen in 11 with almost no issue. Had some insane 10-1 td to pick ratio etc. This year with cam i'm actually having to think about the routes and the coverages to not throw 6-7 picks per game. '12 probably wins this because defense isnt something i just want to sim through anymore. However super LBs are driving me crazy.

My biggest beef with 11 was Franchise progression. I had several MVP caliber seasons with Clausen (6k+ yards 60 TDs etc) and could never get him above an 89 rating. This year in 4 seasons i have Cam up to a 94 and thats having missed 11 games in my third year with a broken collarbone. This seems to have been addressed even though i dont like how quickly running backs are declining, it does make franchise a little more real that I can't depend on steve smith at age 40 anymore.

But the so called "presentation" improvements are just terrible this year. There needs to be more than one programmed spiehl for each team. To talk about Steve smith being so good when he's injured is silly. I also had them talk about Beason every game while he was on IR. I'm not saying we need every player addressed, but 3-4 would be a start. Look at a team like the Packers. You could talk about Rodgers, Jennings, Finley, or Starks justifiably. On defense you could discuss Raji, Woodson, Matthews, and Collins. Talking about the impacts of injuries would be nice too when someone is on IR but I know that won't happen. The announcing HAS to be tweaked some more. Gus still calls a CB on the panthers Julio Jones, and im pretty sure referred to the team as "the falcons" earlier. Last year, the commentary eventually got repetitive, but it felt real and genuine. THis year, it feels like video game commentary. Its late, its badly recorded, and you can hear the edits where they insert the names of the players. To me, announcing is the biggest part of presentation and Madden 12 just doesnt do well there. I like entrances as much as the next guy..but i skip over them every game from about my 3rd game on. And no halftime stats report? It doesnt have to be long or be read out, but come on guys. You brag about presentation, give us presentation.

I could ramble on for hours like this so i'm going to stop here.

But basically, with presentation tweaks, i think madden 12 is the superior game but without it, i feel like its about even with 11.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:57 PM   #8

m1ke_nyc's Arena

OVR: 7

Madden 12 by far, its not even close IMO.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »