Home

Best way to stop suprise onside kick...?

This is a discussion on Best way to stop suprise onside kick...? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-18-2011, 09:59 PM   #1
Rookie

Tennessee's Arena

OVR: 0
Best way to stop suprise onside kick...?

Why in the world do they have a goon kick feature built in? Anyway, what's the best way to counter this trash?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2011, 11:06 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 3
Re: Best way to stop suprise onside kick...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee
Why in the world do they have a goon kick feature built in? Anyway, what's the best way to counter this trash?
You can only do it once a game. Not a big deal. Does not work all the time. Just pick the middle linebacker and hold down A. Do not do anything else, but press A. Works for me.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:24 AM   #3
Rookie

Tennessee's Arena

Alright thanks.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:46 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
As much as we ride EA about what's NOT in the game, we shouldn't also give them grief when something is in the game.

The Saints won a Super Bowl with it AND the surprise onside has been used several times in the past 10 years with a good success rate in the NFL. That said, it's only a 'surprise' once a game - and EA doesn't allow players to kick more than one surprise onside a game.

The key to recovering them if you're the receiving team is:

1) Be Aware: Nothing is more important than this. Players who are not aware of the onside kick are most likely to fall victim to it.

2) Be Vigilant: Anybody can kick a surprise onside at any time. Expect them to do so and be looking for it.

3) Control the middle and watch. Kickers can't aim the surprise onside kick so they always come to the middle blocker on the front row.

So far, I've had no trouble recovering the surprise onside when I was looking for it. I've only fallen victim when I dropped my guard and wasn't looking for it.

Later
Old 10-19-2011, 01:06 PM   #5
MVP

NFCastle's Arena

OVR: 17

They put it in because it's realistic.

It happens IRL, why not on madden?

Yea you're pissed when someone does it and they recover it, guess what, IRL, the team that got surprised by it is mad too.

Wow even an emotional tie in, way to go ea!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-19-2011, 03:12 PM   #6
Rookie

Tennessee's Arena

It happens about once a year in real life, not every game you *******.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:56 PM   #7
Pro

When I first saw it , I got beat. Now i know is there so i look to see how the player am playing, if his aggressive does he or she go for it on 4th downs... Once they get about 2 scores on you look for them to put you down by 21( This is where they mite run it on you). I also use this if the other player is pissing me off so i will just confuse the heck out of him/her. At times i just pick onside to get them to burn a timeout, or just to make them think or get them of the comfort zone. Its all about the scheme you run, I love the surprise on side kick.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:27 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
It happens about once a year in real life, not every game you *******.
I think you're comparing frequency in a 16 game season to online where there is only a single game environment...

Skews the percentages in a way that we can't describe through football... So I'll use COD Search and Destroy missions, to illustrate...

In practically every other online mode of COD, players respawn within 10 seconds of being killed. On Search & Destroy players respawn only after a round ends. This slight difference changes the way people play the game. They are more apt to use cover, stay out of the open, and to be careful about starting a fire fight... All other modes are just run and shoot...

In a single game environment like online, where I assume you've encountered the surprise onside kick, you must weigh the way people play on a different scale.

Either way... Be vigilant and control the middle guy on the front row. Watch for low kicks and jump on it when you see one.

Be sure to look for them on EVERY KICKOFF. You may not see anyone try it for 10 games, but as soon as you stop looking, there it is.

Later

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »