Home

Still think Rodgers should have been the cover boy.

This is a discussion on Still think Rodgers should have been the cover boy. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 10:12 AM   #33
MVP

icicle22's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Still think Rodgers should have been the cover boy.

Well...as a Browns fan it seemed as if it would be nice to fire up Madden and see a Cleveland Browns player on the menu screens instead of another team all the time. Heck... I had to stare at Steelers stuff a few years ago.

However, as someone pointed out, I primarily see Aaron Rogers 90% of the time. Even though Hillis won the cover, EA still seems to have snuck Rogers in there the majority of the time. I don't actually look at the cover much...if at all. But due to the slow load times of Madden, I do have to stare at Rogers diving into the endzone for 30-40 seconds everytime I play!

Having said all of this, why not go back to the "favorite team" bit? In Madden 2008 for the PC, I picked the Browns as my favorite team and not only are they selected as my default team, I also get to see a montage of Browns images as my backgrounds while just perusing the menu. Change to another team and the menus change too. Seemed like a nice change of pace. I prefer skinning the game interface with favorite teams more than having the cover. But...that is just another in a long list of simple, yet cool things that EA conveniently drops from newer versions of Madden.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:55 PM   #34
Pro

The Amaizen Blue's Arena

Rodgers isn't even the best QB in the league, and people are saying he's the best of all time... Needless to say, I'll definitely stray away from the pro football talk on this board and focus on Madden... Wow.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:54 PM   #35
Pro

OVR: 13

People who claim that Rodgers is the best of all time aren't considering that he has probably the best supporting cast in the league.
He may have some of the best ability in the league in terms of throw power and whatnot, but that doesn't mean he's the best ever.

As for the "curse", anyone who believes that is just superstitious. There is at best anecdotal evidence of a curse. I would wager heavily that if you looked at players in general, you would find that many of them have a bad year after having a really good year. Was Brandon Lloyd on the cover of Madden this year? Was Peyton Manning? It's superstitious nonsense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2011, 04:42 PM   #36
Rookie

Jaaa's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhyankees
Amen Bro....I've been watching football for 40+ years and I'd have to say he's the best I've ever seen. I've seen great ones but this guy has the whole package. Montana didn't have his arm, Marino couldn't run like he does (or throw 60 yard lasers on the run), on and on and on. I realize it's a matter of opinion but this guy runs with the best of them, has maybe the strongest (or certainly top2-3) arms in the league, is the most accurate, plays big in big games........to me RIGHT NOW...he's the best I've seen....of course he has to do it for a career ala Marino and Montana and co. to be considered an all time great. I happen to think that barring injury he'll be in that group.
I'm usually the first to shy away from this kind of talk, but not with Rodgers. Your post is actually dead on, whether some people like it or not. I am a football junkie, played my whole life, and spend 90% of my free time watching it. I also enjoy the advantage of never having a favorite team that I root for, so when I say I really don't have a dog in this fight, I mean it. Like you said, the rest of his career obviously needs to play out before we start claiming GOAT, but one thing I am ready to say, and have been saying since his playoff run last year, is that I honestly think he has the greatest skill set at QB of all-time. The man is literally Steve Young with Dan Marino's arm. Strong hyperbole? Hardly. Before Rodgers, Marino was the greatest pure passer ever by a long shot. I really never thought I'd see anyone throw like him. Then came along Rodgers. The combination of his arm strength (which some people still underrate, you said he was top 2-3, but of all the top 15 QB's in the league he's got the strongest arm without question), accuracy (which really is second to none), and release, him and Marino are 1A and 1B as the greatest pure passers of all-time. And I'm not even sure which is which. Then you throw in his legs (another thing people still underrate, I can't think of anyone else who was ever better at buying themselves more time inside the pocket), and it's kind of a no-brainer that the guy is playing the position like no else ever has. I've always held that Marino was the GOAT because if you give him and Montana the exact same teammates on any given day, Marino was capable of making more plays. But I swear, it's almost unreal watching Rodgers. I think Trent Dilfer put it perfectly after the Atlanta game. "He is literally unstoppable." I also find it ironic that with all the hype and what not surrounding the coveted "Madden Cover OMG", it's possible people would have looked back 10 years from now and used his appearance on the cover as the time-table for when he went on a historic run. Hell, maybe it would have been the turning point for the Madden cover itself, when it finally became something of substance and a cool part of our culture again. But what did we get instead? Not surprisingly a lame *** marketing gimmick in which we wound up with Peyton freakin Hillis. I actually used to look forward to the Madden cover. Now it's just another thing that sucks about Madden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amaizen Blue
Rodgers isn't even the best QB in the league
Like I said, I really have no dog in this fight, so believe me when I tell you this is pure ignorance from a Lion fan who has a dog in the fight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argooos
People who claim that Rodgers is the best of all time aren't considering that he has probably the best supporting cast in the league.
People always use this against him, but if you really watch the games, you can see it's Rodgers that is making them GREAT. The passing attack as a whole is GREAT. Rodgers on his own is GREAT. Those receivers on their own are just very good. They don't have anybody who will single-handedly dominate a game. The best part about them is their depth. For instance, Rodgers completed passes to 6 different receivers this Sunday, ON THE FIRST DRIVE. They are good, make no doubt about it, but they have a guy who is capable of getting it to any one of them on every single play, and he's making them look better than they are.

Packers WR corps < 07 Patriots WR corps
Old 10-25-2011, 04:47 PM   #37
Pro

dramachild11's Arena

to vikeking: you do know that in this case the word curse is being used in a superstitious way right? i happen to think that it is funny how intense people get whether they agree or not... but to point out one thing for you, i noticed that you kinda left off the negative aspects
Old 10-25-2011, 04:58 PM   #38
Pro

dramachild11's Arena

rodgers G.O.A.T? no not yet... i think hes the best in the league right now only cause he has more mobility than brady... but to annoint him now is foolish ... bradshaw 4, montana 3, brady3 ... hell he's tied with eli in titles won in the last 4 years (and im from ny) and eli is nowhere close to his level... so once he wins multiple chips the gost discussion can begin
Old 10-25-2011, 06:31 PM   #39
Rookie

Calipup's Arena

OVR: 12

Lol this has gone a bit off topic. I would have liked someone other than Hillis on the cover, but I would rather had him on the cover opposed to someone like Vick. I would rather had Patrick Willis, due to his consistent badassery.

About the Rodgers being the best, I think we all need to calm down a bit. Everyone thought Brees was the best after his Super Bowl run. I believe that Brady will be remembered as the better QB compared to Rodgers. Right at this moment in week 7 on this year, sure Rodgers may get the best QB, but until Rodgers proves he can be at the caliber he is at right now for another 4 years, then yeah I may change my mind.

Last year Brady had a very good year, even with Moss not going so great and then trading him away. 3,900 yards, 36 TD, 4 INT. And all he had was Welker, and somewhat Branch. The rest of his receivers (Gronk, Hernandez, Tate) were all Rookies or first year guys. Rodgers that same year, 3,922 yards, 28 TD, 11 INT. He had Greg Jennings, last year was better than Welker. He had Donald Driver who had been a beast his whole career, and then not much else. Sure the Packers were down a good RB, but it's not like the Patriots had a beast in Green-Ellis. One main thing I like about Brady is how clutch he is. Rodgers has 5 (1.7 per year 08-10) game winning drives while Brady has 33 game winning drives (3.3 a year, including 7 in one year).

But I'm no football expert, I'm just a common fan. I don't pay attention to how a QB moves his feet while a safety is dropping into coverage or any of the small things. We just need to get over the honeymoon phase of Rodgers and take a step back. Is Rodgers doing great this season and did he have an impressive run to the SB? Yes, but that doesn't make him the greatest of all time.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:06 AM   #40
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argooos
Eh, that argument never made sense to me. Well-run organizations are going to surround talent with talent. Might as well eliminate every top-notch player from a good team from the discussion and only find stars playing on 0-16 caliber teams...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »