Home

Fair Catch Kick Rule (Or Free Kick Rule)

This is a discussion on Fair Catch Kick Rule (Or Free Kick Rule) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-24-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Fair Catch Kick Rule (Or Free Kick Rule)

So I am thinking it is about time that Madden implements this rule. It is a little known and rarely used rule. However, It is a legal play and could be used a great deal in madden especially at the end of halves and considering how rare a hail Mary is the fair catch kick is a viable option.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2011, 05:52 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Fair Catch Kick Rule (Or Free Kick Rule)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalHusker88
So I am thinking it is about time that Madden implements this rule. It is a little known and rarely used rule. However, It is a legal play and could be used a great deal in madden especially at the end of halves and considering how rare a hail Mary is the fair catch kick is a viable option.
If you are referring to the fair catch at or after time expired for a half allowing for a free, uncontested kick, play, I'm surprised it hasn't been implemented in the franchise yet. John Madden talked about this play just about every game and with the influence he had with the franchise, I've always contributed it to EA's inability to insert it in the game as it is suppose to be executed, rather than some of the usual reasons for elements of the game being omitted from the franchise.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:31 PM   #3
Pro

Kahuma's Arena

OVR: 17

You saw the Yahoo Article didn't you?

There are plenty of rules and tactics in Football that aren't in Madden, this one is used so rarely it doesn't need to be in the game at all. There are other things that been to be in it that are vastly more important.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 8

When was the last time any of us saw a Free Kick? I've NEVER SEEN ONE in the 35+ years that I've watched NFL football.

Free Kicks are one of those little known rules of football, kinda like the Drop Kick (only seen one of those). On the books, but rarely seen. That said, I'd like to see it on Madden, but I've never seen an instance where this would benefit anyone.

The only time a FREE KICK can be used to score points is after a kickoff is fair caught. The receiving team then has the option for a FREE KICK for points.

BUT I've never seen anyone kick a ball high enough into the air AND short enough on a kickoff for a receiving team to be in range for a FREE KICK. Kicks that are short enough are kicked so they touch the ground first which eliminates the Fair Catch as an option for the receiving team.

In essence, this FREE KICK rule, while on the books - would be useless in Madden because there's no way to kick the ball high enough AND short enough to use...

For all we know, it's already in the game, but just like the NFL - there's NEVER any reason for it to come into play.

Later
Old 10-25-2011, 01:15 PM   #5
Banned

Redskins_Hokies's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
When was the last time any of us saw a Free Kick? I've NEVER SEEN ONE in the 35+ years that I've watched NFL football.

Free Kicks are one of those little known rules of football, kinda like the Drop Kick (only seen one of those). On the books, but rarely seen. That said, I'd like to see it on Madden, but I've never seen an instance where this would benefit anyone.

The only time a FREE KICK can be used to score points is after a kickoff is fair caught. The receiving team then has the option for a FREE KICK for points.

BUT I've never seen anyone kick a ball high enough into the air AND short enough on a kickoff for a receiving team to be in range for a FREE KICK. Kicks that are short enough are kicked so they touch the ground first which eliminates the Fair Catch as an option for the receiving team.

In essence, this FREE KICK rule, while on the books - would be useless in Madden because there's no way to kick the ball high enough AND short enough to use...

For all we know, it's already in the game, but just like the NFL - there's NEVER any reason for it to come into play.

Later
a few seasons ago
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2011, 09:24 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins_Hokies
a few seasons ago
Drop kick? or Free Kick?

I remember Doug Flutie kicking a drop kick for the Pats... Do you remember if it was the '09 or '10 season? Also which team.

Thanks.

Later
Old 10-25-2011, 09:54 PM   #7

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
Drop kick? or Free Kick?

I remember Doug Flutie kicking a drop kick for the Pats... Do you remember if it was the '09 or '10 season? Also which team.

Thanks.

Later
In 2008 both Neil Rackers and Mason Crosby each had attempts that fell short.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:13 PM   #8
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20

I was gonna say that I also saw one just a few years ago, but couldn't remember who it was.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »