Home

Should I manually progress this guy?

This is a discussion on Should I manually progress this guy? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-02-2011, 07:29 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Should I manually progress this guy?

My Free Safety, Taylor Mays went to the Pro Bowl Last season. Here are his stats:

Tackles: 97 total
Sacks: 3
INT: 2
F. Fumb: 6

He only went up 2 points from 80 to 82. He only has B potential. His awareness went from 57 to 59, agility went from 98 to 99 and acceleration went from 96 to 97. He is a HUGE playmaker on my defense, forcing fumbles at crucial times and delivering big hits damn near every time he tackles someone. I seriously think he should be rated higher than 82. Probably more like 90. Who thinks I should manually progress him?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-02-2011, 07:43 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Should I manually progress this guy?

What I do when a player has a great year but doesn't progress much is I just up their potential. To do that you increase the players ratings until his potential increases then you go back and lower it. That way if he has another good year then his ratings will go up, and if he doesn't get hurt then its whatever nbd. I feel better doing it that way rather then increasing the ratings myself.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
Pro

crob8822's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbranson
My Free Safety, Taylor Mays went to the Pro Bowl Last season. Here are his stats:

He only went up 2 points from 80 to 82. He only has B potential. His awareness went from 57 to 59, agility went from 98 to 99 and acceleration went from 96 to 97. He is a HUGE playmaker on my defense, forcing fumbles at crucial times and delivering big hits damn near every time he tackles someone. I seriously think he should be rated higher than 82. Probably more like 90. Who thinks I should manually progress him?
I say no Imao, I don't adjust my player manually it takes away the realism, I had taylor mays in my earlier franchise, he made the Pro Bowl, got hurt the next year and the replacement struggled and I found out how important to my secondary he was. He came back with lower attributes and was effective but gave up more big plays after the injury.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:10 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 4

adjusting his awareness would be a little overkill. he already has freakishly good numbers but keeping up with game speed and learning nfl defenses is why hes not good irl
Old 11-02-2011, 09:40 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbranson

If you are getting that kind of productivity out of him, it doesn't matter. He's using what he has to be an enforcer in your defense, and he's playing very well. The only thing I would give him, if we could, is Defensive Playmaker or maybe Clutch:Yes if he really did make a lot key plays for you. I mean like game-winning stops or turnovers to get the ball back in the 4th when you were trying to keep the other the from running the clock out under 2:00
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-02-2011, 10:31 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by packerfan28
What I do when a player has a great year but doesn't progress much is I just up their potential. To do that you increase the players ratings until his potential increases then you go back and lower it. That way if he has another good year then his ratings will go up, and if he doesn't get hurt then its whatever nbd. I feel better doing it that way rather then increasing the ratings myself.
That's actually a really good way to do it. I, also, don't like jacking guys up manually, but I'm gonna start trying it this way.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:00 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
If you are getting that kind of productivity out of him, it doesn't matter. He's using what he has to be an enforcer in your defense, and he's playing very well. The only thing I would give him, if we could, is Defensive Playmaker or maybe Clutch:Yes if he really did make a lot key plays for you. I mean like game-winning stops or turnovers to get the ball back in the 4th when you were trying to keep the other the from running the clock out under 2:00
It must really bother you then that they do a roster update every week to make players rated the way they are playing. Why should a player possibly be rated higher for playing well.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:52 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjneff
It must really bother you then that they do a roster update every week to make players rated the way they are playing. Why should a player possibly be rated higher for playing well.

I consider that the roster editor re-evaluating his own decisions on ratings, but yes, ideally that wouldn't happen either, though I don't expect the ratings editor(s) to have a crystal ball to know exactly how good people are going to be.

That's different, imo, than playing a guy with the ratings he had all year and getting good production with what he already has and then deciding to give him higher ratings.

If the ratings he already has gives him 95 tackles, 6 forced fumbles, 2 picks, and 3 sacks, why does he need higher ratings?

Let his progression take him to that point. Mays gets better, then his play on the field gets better, that's realistic. Player does well, so his football skills go up? That's backwards, imo.

If he plays like a 90 in your scheme, why does it matter if the screen says 90? You know what he can do, how do get the most out of him and he's giving the production. Why does what his OVR says matter?

Last edited by KBLover; 11-02-2011 at 11:54 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »