Home

There Has Got to Be A Way

This is a discussion on There Has Got to Be A Way within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-05-2011, 07:09 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
There Has Got to Be A Way

I have tried everything under the sun on this game to get my QB to make a simple throw without throwing the ball out of bounds or right to the defender.

Set you feet, lead, don't lead, auto drop-back no-auto drop back. Change QB you name it I have tried it. Warm him up 1st with short throws, don't throw deep etc.. However the QB will still make a throw in my mind that is impossible.

I don't know how you could program a QB to throw a ball to a wide open WR out of bounds by 10 to 15 yards. It has to be a way to make a simple throw every time on this game. I sure as hell don't know what it is.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2011, 10:56 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: There Has Got to Be A Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFL3RD
I have tried everything under the sun on this game to get my QB to make a simple throw without throwing the ball out of bounds or right to the defender.

Set you feet, lead, don't lead, auto drop-back no-auto drop back. Change QB you name it I have tried it. Warm him up 1st with short throws, don't throw deep etc.. However the QB will still make a throw in my mind that is impossible.

I don't know how you could program a QB to throw a ball to a wide open WR out of bounds by 10 to 15 yards. It has to be a way to make a simple throw every time on this game. I sure as hell don't know what it is.
Which QB did you change to and from? Can notice a huge difference when playing as Brady compared to some scrub like J.P. Losman. If you are using an inaccurate QB he is going to make a lot of crazy throws - unless you up HUMAN QB accuracy slider. Experiment with the sliders and your QB. You can adjust it to both extremes...like with maxed 100/100 accuracy and Tom Brady you are basically never going to make those horrible passes.

Or just pretend like your QB is Tim Tebow
Old 11-05-2011, 12:13 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFL3RD

Are you guessing about the mechanics of the throw? Or are you SURE about your mechanics?

During the Madden 10 season, I challenged the assertion that 'route based passing' was absent in Madden. Several members of the OS community were under the impression that you were unable to throw passes to a receiver before his cut. There was a misconception that the QB would only throw in the direction the receiver was running as the ball was released. So I did some research into the mechanics that made these passes possible. In doing so, I learned several things about the passing mechanics that I hadn't considered before. Let me ask you some questions about when/how you're throwing the ball.

1) Which routes are you overthrowing the most?
2) How many steps is the QB taking before releasing the ball?
3) Are you leading the passes to this route?
4) Are your feet set when these passes are thrown?
5) How much separation (in yards) does the receiver have on the defender?
6) How are you activating the receiver's icon button?

While these seem like easy questions, the answers are uber-important.

On Madden 12, I throw all the hot routes. I overthrow the Deep Out the most because I'm throwing the ball too hard, leading the receiver too far to the outside, and/or failing to set my feet before activating the receiver's icon button. All are a recipe for inaccurate passes.

On slants, I noticed that I was throwing the ball behind receivers more often than not, preventing them from having a chance to catch and run. My mistake there was failing to lead the receiver a few yards ahead with a softer trajectory so he can catch the ball in stride.

The point to these illustrations is to say that each throw needs to be practiced separately using various methods to ensure that your pass placement is a fluid process based on the location of the defense - NOT THE RECEIVER.

To drill this into my fingers (having it in your head alone is useless), I practiced WITHOUT THE DEFENSE. My problem up until that point is that I was looking at receivers - which make it difficult to read the defense.

The first step was getting the timing down. I took several straight dropbacks and counted my steps (no throws yet). The goal was simply to know WHEN the ball should come out of my QB's hands. Once my clock was set, I practiced throwing some 3-step routes (slants, drags, flares, hitches, etc). Then I moved to the 5 and 7-step routes respectively. My goal for this was to get the feel of actually throwing on time.

The final step without a defense came when I imagined a defender near my receiver and lead the ball away from "coverage." I lead these passes left, right, over, and underneath my receiver. Meanwhile, I also made it a point to switch to the receiver and manually make the catch.

Lastly, I added the defense. By this time the work I'd done with my receivers made is easy to run plays without the need of looking at the receivers. I already knew where they would be and when. The only thing I needed to worry about was placing the throw relative to the defender so my receiver could make the catch, but no one else could.

This entire process took less than an hour for me, but may require more/less time depending on your level of comfort assembling all the parts. When I god back to playing online games, I was much more relaxed on pass plays. The only thing more I needed to do was progress from one read to the next based on the coverage, but because of the moments I dedicated to making all the throws it was a simpler task than it could have been.

In the end, all of the important statistics went up: Comp. %, Yards per attempt, TD, 3rd down coversion %, etc... And I didn't have to touch any sliders.

Let me know if I can help you devise a plan to increase your passing efficiency... Feel free to try mine out.

Later
Old 11-05-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

I don't know how to do the quotes on this forum but TNT713 that is the best ish I have read about passing. I will try this when I get home that is the type of info I could use. I play in a league that does not allow sliders and I have Denver can't use Tebow not a good look.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »