Home

HB Screen Passes

This is a discussion on HB Screen Passes within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-06-2011, 10:03 PM   #9
MVP

cedwebb's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: HB Screen Passes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDelta
Just to chime in, you need to do none of these things to be succesful on the screen, I'm using screens regularly on beefed up All-Madden sliders and while it doesn't work every time, I've taken several to the house.

What you absolutely do need to do is move your QB, his natural dropback will not be far enough to save him from the pressure, you have to move him back or outside away from the pressure until the screen is set up.
Thought the same thing as I was reading that post. I am using Playmakers sliders which are definitely not an easy setup and I am having good success with screen plays. They don't work all the time but no play should. I have taken some of them to the house depending on what the defense is doing.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:03 AM   #10
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Just to chime in, you need to do none of these things to be succesful on the screen, I'm using screens regularly on beefed up All-Madden sliders and while it doesn't work every time, I've taken several to the house.

What you absolutely do need to do is move your QB, his natural dropback will not be far enough to save him from the pressure, you have to move him back or outside away from the pressure until the screen is set up.
It would be best to say you enjoy playing this particular way.

There's no slider set out that will slow down DT's that are rated tooooo high in SPD/ACC.

Some don't mind taking an exaggerated QB drop back to allow this play to set up.
I just have a problem dropping back 12-15 yrds just so a screen can develope

Also, the field is too small to fit the speed of movement in the game.
Everthing happens in a box real fast due to his (looks goofy to me).

But rather than get into a back-n-forth, I'll just conclude that there are various perceptions about what looks/plays realistic.

Adjusting player ratings is a must for me, because I don't like that fast forward robotic effect because how fast everything reacts in such a small space.

The other thing probably overlooked in the post is that I've changed all this for the College game I'm creating.

Last edited by khaliib; 11-07-2011 at 02:10 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:08 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
It would be best to say you enjoy playing this particular way.
No, I'm fine there. You stated that you had to drop the DTs SPD/ACC down to make the screen work, I said you don't have to do that, that's not a matter of opinion or personal preference, that's a fact.

You also said that with high PUR, your DT will catch your HB from behind after going after the QB which is outright wrong, in my experience. Yes, I have been tackled for a loss on screens, but this has NEVER been done by a Dlinemen that had been going after the QB first, it's always a LB or safety that manages to get behind the screen or isn't blocked correctly and blows it up.

Quote:
Adjusting player ratings is a must for me, because I don't like that fast forward robotic effect because how fast everything reacts in such a small space.
I never said there's anything wrong with adjusting player ratings if you feel like it. Personally, I always prefer finding a solution within the gameplay without changing player ratings, especially not in such a drastic fashion, but that's just a matter of personal preference. You just tried to make it sound like this is the only way to be succesful on the screen, which I contest, you can throw very succesful screen passes without messing with the ratings.

Quote:
The other thing probably overlooked in the post is that I've changed all this for the College game I'm creating.
No I did not overlook that, but what kind of difference does this make to the question at hand?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-07-2011, 08:38 AM   #12
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

I have great success running the screen play. This year both with the HB and WR screen.

What I look for more than anything else is if the defense is in a zone or man.

Wr screens against a zone is very effective, and against a man it all depends on how the DB jumps on the wr.

The HB screen against the zone also is more effective than man. Once I see the Hb moving his feet I throw the ball, and I never have problems completing the screen.

Once you get the timing it is not a problem at all.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:41 AM   #13
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.zach1122
the key is to let the play develop......

You are right on here sir. The D plays the screen better than last year so it's not automatic. And if you throw the ball too late or too early, you get punished for it. You have to throw it just as the D lineman pass the running back. Wait to long and you get a sack or a guy turns around to make the play before you get going with the back. Don't wait long enough:? Well then the whole thing gets blown up. I think they came pretty close to getting it right this year...my biggest complaint is the Db that blows through my blockers who stand there trying to read the number on the DB's jersey.

If interested these are my Madden 12 sliders: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...dden-12-a.html
Old 11-07-2011, 10:01 AM   #14
Banned

OVR: 8

Prior to Madden 10, I never ran screens. Many people were able to complete them against me for nice gains, but I didn't have any success running them myself.

Then I read a real football book that detailed the basics of a QB's passing drop and the only pass drop in the book that had a 9-step drop was the screen pass. I then realized that I was trying to throw the screen on a 5 or 7-step drop which was the reason for my lack of success.

So I started dropping back farther to get away from the rush... The farther you drop, the more distance you get between the HB and the pressure. The more distance, the more yards you can get. Soon, I was running the screen as an integral part of my anti-blitz offense.

The problem I have now is when I throw the ball on a line while I'm still drifting backward causing it to come down behind the HB. He turns the wrong way and can't beat the defenders to the outside.

Once you get the execution right, screens are deadly!

Later
Old 11-07-2011, 11:10 AM   #15
Banned

kpkpkp's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:

I feel the same way. If I do a screen, I feel like I have to drop back 5-10 yards to give the play time to develop and my RB time to turn around. In-fact I drop back so quickly, I generally make the throw on the run 99% of the time from 5-10 yards back.

But it works.

Also, the RB needs good catching ability. I often have Green-Ellis drop this catch on me due to his low catch rating when I'm using the Patriots (I think his CTH is around 40). I always formation sub in Woodhead who has a CTH rating of 70-80 or something.

Basically it feels cheesy to have to drop back 10 yards to allow this play to develop.. but its equally lame to get auto-sacked or not be able to use screen plays at all.

(Even if you do drop 10 yards the pass will get off; but its no guarantee the play will work.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneamongthefence
Yep^ its cheese I guess but I have to drop back 10+ yards to give the play time to develop.
Yup. Pretty much.

Feels cheesy but ya gotta do it. It's the lesser of 2 evils IMO.

Last edited by kpkpkp; 11-07-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-07-2011, 11:28 AM   #16
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

Guys, please don't derail my thread and accuse people of being cheesers.

That being said, I already do the long dropback, because it's the only way to get the pass off... at what point will the RB actually catch the ball is I guess what I'm asking.

I do like the WR screens, though. And I really hope the HB screen isn't automatic, I don't want a money play, I'd just like to be able to use my playbook

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »