Home

Which bad team in a good division to use?

This is a discussion on Which bad team in a good division to use? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-13-2011, 11:15 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 12
Which bad team in a good division to use?

I'm looking to start a franchise with a bad team in a good division, but I need help deciding which one to use... so far I've got it down to the Dolphins, The Vikings, the Bengals, the Panthers, or the Bills. (Just FYI, I will be simming the first few seasons)

The Bengals don't seem like a bad team this season (neither do the Bills), but I've played a couple different franchises and in every one they finish in the bottom of the division usually around 2-14 or 3-13. They seem to have a good future QB with Andy Dalton and a future superstar WR in AJ Green, but their defense doesn't really have anyone to write home about.

The Vikings are stuck in a powerhouse division with the Packers and Lions, and even the Bears are wild card contenders. At least they have AP to build around, but their defense is getting old.

The Panthers have Cam Newton to build around... but that's about it. They need a lot of help on defense outside of Jon Beason, and they only seem to have one good WR in Steve Smith. It doesn't help that the other 3 teams are all serious contenders.

The Dolphins... are the Dolphins. Brandon Marshall is overrated, as is Reggie Bush, and they need serious help at QB (Suck for Luck anyone?). The defense... I honestly cannot tell you anyone who starts on the Dolphins defense other than Yeremiah Bell, and I don't even know if he plays for the 'phins any more. Mix in the division with the Pats, Jets and even the Bills and making the playoffs will be a challenge year in and year out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2011, 11:38 AM   #2
MVP

Shibito's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Which bad team in a good division to use?

Dolphins or Vikings. The Vikings will lose a lot of talent to age quickly giving you holes on top of the already shaky defense and O-line. They have AP and Ponder to build on, but it would probably be a good idea to acquire a lot of draft picks or bring in a lot of free agents.

The Dolphins are a lot better then they appear at a glance. You could trade picks for a decent QB (my choice would be Mallett or Tyrod Taylor) and the defense is decent. You'll pursue the playoffs sooner with Miami. NE and NY seem to fall apart in a couple seasons.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:47 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianwei32
The Dolphins... are the Dolphins. Brandon Marshall is overrated, as is Reggie Bush, and they need serious help at QB (Suck for Luck anyone?). The defense... I honestly cannot tell you anyone who starts on the Dolphins defense other than Yeremiah Bell, and I don't even know if he plays for the 'phins any more. Mix in the division with the Pats, Jets and even the Bills and making the playoffs will be a challenge year in and year out.
Funny of you to say that, I actually think playing the Dolphins is one of the easier teams in Madden, at least compared the the others you posted. Their QB is bad, sure, but that's something you as a user can compesate. Marshall is a very good receiver in the game, and Bush may not be the best back, but he's got the speed to create some big plays for you, which is really all your need. Their line needs some work but since Oline is the only position in the game that's easy to scout that shouldn't be a problem.

Their D isn't looking half as bad as you think it is, they got one of the best CBs in the game who can actually get just as good or even superiour to Revis in a couple years.

The Dolphins, as they are in Madden, are only one decent draft away from being a contender in their division.

The teams I've had the most challenge with are the Seahawks and Cardinals. They both have huge holes all over the roster but of course they don't play in a good division, if you want that, I'd say have a look at the Redskins, they lack a QB just as the Dolphins do, but they have a lot more holes on the rest of the roster and they play in a very tough division in Madden, as long as Vick stays healthy and fast he's a nightmare to play against, and both the Cowboys and Giants are strong teams in the game.

Vikings are an option, too, of course, but they really have enough on offense to keep you in most games, especially since they already got their franchise QB and in Madden, it's not a question of if a first rounder pans out, just when.

Panthers may struggle when controlled by the CPU, but Cam Newton is a ridiculously effective weapon when user controlled, just as the Vikings, their offense will be good enough to make you competitive in pretty much any game you play if you know how to use Newton.

Last edited by TheDelta; 11-13-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianwei32
I'm looking to start a franchise with a bad team in a good division, but I need help deciding which one to use... so far I've got it down to the Dolphins, The Vikings, the Bengals, the Panthers, or the Bills. (Just FYI, I will be simming the first few seasons)

The Bengals don't seem like a bad team this season (neither do the Bills), but I've played a couple different franchises and in every one they finish in the bottom of the division usually around 2-14 or 3-13. They seem to have a good future QB with Andy Dalton and a future superstar WR in AJ Green, but their defense doesn't really have anyone to write home about.

The Vikings are stuck in a powerhouse division with the Packers and Lions, and even the Bears are wild card contenders. At least they have AP to build around, but their defense is getting old.

The Panthers have Cam Newton to build around... but that's about it. They need a lot of help on defense outside of Jon Beason, and they only seem to have one good WR in Steve Smith. It doesn't help that the other 3 teams are all serious contenders.

Of those three, the Vikings are probably in the worst shape.

Bengals have a young QB and WR to build around if nothing else, and probably aren't the worst team in that division (Browns might be). Dolphins do need help at QB, but Marshall is solid in this game as is Bess. Run a short pass game and let Bess use that RTE of his to get open.

Vikings have Ponder and Peterson, and Harvin isn't bad either, but that defense is a mess. They are also the worst team in that division, imo, as the Bears are a notch above them and of course we know what Green Bay and Detroit are.

Panthers would be a close second, though in the game DeAngelo Williams is still a force, Steve Smith is a good+ WR and Newton is Newton. The defense is weak, though, but that division isn't quite as rough, imo (they are at the bottom but Tampa isn't super strong, they are just a couple years farther along in the rebuild).

Last edited by KBLover; 11-15-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:37 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 6

I don't think you would have time winning the division with the Bengals tbh. they are a great team ingame.

I'd go for someone like the Seahawks, Vikings, Bills, or Redskins.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-16-2011, 09:04 AM   #6
Pro

Kahuma's Arena

OVR: 17

I am going to disagree with all of thoses choices and tell you to use the Redskins.

Playing the Giants, Eagles, and Dallas twice a year with no QB, poor offensive line (Against Tuck, Paul, Canty, Ware, Cole, Babin, etc.).

Bright spots are the young Hb Helu, and Davis and Cooley are nice. Defense can make plays but rely on a zone-scheme. Trying to play man too much will show you why DeAngelo Hall get Redskins fans fustrated.

Edit: Also the Defensive line stuggles, Carriker will make some stuffs on screens but wont do too much aside from the rare sack.

Last edited by Kahuma; 11-16-2011 at 09:09 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »