Home

Why Ive began to like American Sports

This is a discussion on Why Ive began to like American Sports within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-14-2011, 09:55 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 9
Re: Why Ive began to like American Sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDelta
Actually that is one of the worst rules in soccer and IMHO kills more suspense than anything else, because by valueing away goals higher, it suddely becomes much more important for the home team to not concede a goal rather than score itself, so you have teams where the home team has to play defensively even when facing a weaker opponent which leads to really boring games.
Yh but in my opinion this opens up the way for tactics to be played , in the champions leagues if your first leg was at home and second leg away, you would be conservative first leg and all out attack second leg. The opposing team if weaker might have no choice but to go at home because they know they wont get a goal when they play away.

I remember the Inter vs barcelona champions game where inter played defensively and in the end took it on aggregate(away goals rule), some people called it boring i call it good tactics.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:10 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaymagic91
Yh but in my opinion this opens up the way for tactics to be played , in the champions leagues if your first leg was at home and second leg away, you would be conservative first leg and all out attack second leg.
Which is exactly what I don't want to see. Do you really ENJOY watching a home team play maximum defense in front of it's own crowd because 0-0 is a much more desirable outcome to the hometeam than 1-1? Maybe it's just me, but generally, I like to watch a 2-2 more than a 0-0 tie (of course there are always exceptions of great games that go 0-0, but those aren't the rule...)

Quote:
I remember the Inter vs barcelona champions game where inter played defensively and in the end took it on aggregate(away goals rule), some people called it boring i call it good tactics.
Um... and what does one have to do with the other? Of course it was good tactics, it maximized their chances of advancing, but that doesn't mean it wasn't boring.

Soccer has become a very defensive focused sport in the last half century, I really don't think it needs special rules to encourage teams to play even more defensively.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:26 PM   #11
Rookie

TheDelta...i actually agree with you it was boring and a rip off to anyone who payed and flew over to italy, but i don't think that tactic should be taken away from them, especially when its their only chance of getting a result. Football is about results if i loose 5-4 ive still lost. If i win 1-0 i can progress and have a chance at winning the whole tournament. In the end Inter progressed to the final and won the Champions league and every domestic competition
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-14-2011, 10:32 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaymagic91
but i don't think that tactic should be taken away from them, especially when its their only chance of getting a result.
Where did I say I want anyone to take that tactic away? I just don't see why this tactic should get what is IMHO an unfair advantage above other tactical approaches.

I say, just add the results together and whoever got more goals, wins, and if there's a tie, go to extra time and penalties if necessary, simple as that. It doesn't take defensive tactics out of the game, it just puts them on a level playing field with offensive tactics.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:39 PM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDelta
Where did I say I want anyone to take that tactic away? I just don't see why this tactic should get what is IMHO an unfair advantage above other tactical approaches.

I say, just add the results together and whoever got more goals, wins, and if there's a tie, go to extra time and penalties if necessary, simple as that. It doesn't take defensive tactics out of the game, it just puts them on a level playing field with offensive tactics.
okay but look at this its a known fact that players perform better at home, even if you take this tactic off teams in football would still play conservative away and go all out at home. This rule does give a weaker team a bigger advantage but if you cant beat a team in front of your home fans you should be punished.

If Major league galaxy score 3 away to Barcelona and they score 2
Then at the second leg barcelona win 1-0 in my eyes MLG desere the win if it goes to extra time penalty it would just be allowing more fit and superior players time to add goals whilst MLS used all their energy scoring 1st leg and defending 2nd
Old 11-15-2011, 09:05 AM   #14
Rookie

ukredskin's Arena

OVR: 2

for me football blows all our sports out of the water over here.
yes i love soccer but i get bored with it after a while,its on all the time.Wheres as football its a short season to what we are used to,so when it arrives im pumped up ready for it big time.The whole game,be it NFL/NCAA is just far more exciting and america just knows how to entertain,its that simple.
I just hope to god we dont get a NFL franchise over here,because we would end up looking mugs again when its folds within 5 years.
MLB- Washington Nationals
NBA- Wizards
NHL-Capitals
Soccer - Manchester City
Old 11-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #15
Pro

OVR: 12

I think the salary cap and draft make the NFL and american sports truly unique... right now the NBA owners are fighting for a real salary cap because they've realized the whole sport is suffering without one. MLB is dying because there is no salary cap, the NFL combine gets better ratings then some world series games at this point.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-15-2011, 11:19 AM   #16
Rookie

Woody19's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukredskin
for me football blows all our sports out of the water over here.
yes i love soccer but i get bored with it after a while,its on all the time.Wheres as football its a short season to what we are used to,so when it arrives im pumped up ready for it big time.The whole game,be it NFL/NCAA is just far more exciting and america just knows how to entertain,its that simple.
I just hope to god we dont get a NFL franchise over here,because we would end up looking mugs again when its folds within 5 years.
Same with me
Although I really like "my" European sports, i.e. football/soccer, rugby or ice-hockey, American Football makes a nice change and there hardly ever is a boring game. Only thing that turns me off are way too many commercial breaks.
On the other hand, I don't really understand what people like about baseball (even more tedious than cricket) or basketball (far too high scoring).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »