Home

My idea to fix Pre-Season random players added to teams..

This is a discussion on My idea to fix Pre-Season random players added to teams.. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-16-2011, 01:37 AM   #1
Banned

PatriotJames's Arena

OVR: 20
My idea to fix Pre-Season random players added to teams..

I've heard the complaints about this and the CPU dropping good players because they *think* a certain player is better. I don't find it a huge issue but I have an idea on how to *fix* it.

After all off-season tasks are done and before pre-season begins, have the remaining free agents and have a "supplement draft" instead. Could be by worst to best or randomized snake draft. It would help teams fill holes by signing veterans and also the rookies that were undrafted (EA could make more of these?). Then the simple process of cutting down to 53 would begin again.

What do you think of this?

Side Note: It would also allow a team to find that undrafted player that was a steal. Maybe someone you had been scouting but didn't end up drafting for whatever reason only to find out they're a 70's A potential player.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-16-2011, 03:11 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: My idea to fix Pre-Season random players added to teams..

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotJames
I've heard the complaints about this and the CPU dropping good players because they *think* a certain player is better. I don't find it a huge issue but I have an idea on how to *fix* it.

After all off-season tasks are done and before pre-season begins, have the remaining free agents and have a "supplement draft" instead. Could be by worst to best or randomized snake draft. It would help teams fill holes by signing veterans and also the rookies that were undrafted (EA could make more of these?). Then the simple process of cutting down to 53 would begin again.

What do you think of this?

Side Note: It would also allow a team to find that undrafted player that was a steal. Maybe someone you had been scouting but didn't end up drafting for whatever reason only to find out they're a 70's A potential player.
You can also max out the rosters by signing players to fill all open spots for each team prior to starting a franchise and you have 0 computer generated players.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:21 AM   #3
Banned

PatriotJames's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagrugg
You can also max out the rosters by signing players to fill all open spots for each team prior to starting a franchise and you have 0 computer generated players.
Sweet! I did not know this. What about heading into season #2 of your franchise, though?
Old 11-17-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
Banned

kpkpkp's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotJames
Sweet! I did not know this. What about heading into season #2 of your franchise, though?
Change all the fake UDFA's into Punters. Then the CPU "see's" them as "0?" OVR and knows to cut them.

(If the UDFA already happens to be a Punter change him to a QB)

Either way, you need to get the CPU see the fake guy as having a 0 OVR. Then they will cut them.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:26 PM   #5
Rookie

Stupid question here: how do you know which ones are fake?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2011, 01:30 PM   #6
Banned

kpkpkp's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooder18
Stupid question here: how do you know which ones are fake?
They will always have a contract of 1-yr for 310K.

(also in their player info card it will say "entered league as UDFA" under awards)

If you're looking for a quick way to find out which guys to edit to Punters... filter each teams roster by contract value under player managament. All the UDFA's will be grouped together w/ 310K valued contacts.

You will need to do this every pre-season to CPU rosters if you're doing a 1 team franchise. If you're doing all 32 team controll you can just cut them yourselves.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:40 PM   #7
Rookie

it would be nice if we were able to just exclude the while UDFA feature. I like the idea but I don't have the time to regulate them.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:51 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Here's what I am doing. I'm controlling one team and using the player editor to deal with the UFAs.

All the ones that have robot builds I turn into punters. Those that I can't make punters due to positional requirements I zero out so they will be cut.

For those that have realistic body builds, I look at their ratings and player type (I see so many players that I can't remember all this revealed data if I wanted to). Guys whose overalls are in the 30s and the 40s I automatically change to punters. Guys in the 50s and 60s I do some work with. I'll edit ratings to make them interesting bottom of the roster guys, since all teams have them, and I'll give them specific skill sets to match their stated tendency (like big hitter, pass rusher, possession receiver, etc.).

For a handful, I'll bump them into the 70s so they have a legit chance to progress and be players.

This allows the UFDAs to function somewhat realistically. I leave a handful on each team. A couple may be overrated and get a chance they shouldn't get because they were mis-scouted. This happens. Most will fill out the roster rather than displace real talent. And many will wind up being cut.

This way, I do away with the ugliest part of the system, and try to correct the worst part by allowing those players to become useable in certain limited contexts.

The number of totally unusable robot players isn't as big as you'd think, and I personally think it's fun to make some of those other UFDA's my own special creations, provided that I keep a strict eye out for positional balance and varying skill type when doing so.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »