Home

collision detections are the worst since 2001

This is a discussion on collision detections are the worst since 2001 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-21-2003, 08:59 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: collision detections are the worst since 2001

Oh come on! You get one questionable pass knocked down by a defensive lineman and you condemn the game's collision detection.

I have played about 50 games, and I'm lucky if I get one pass batted down by a lineman every two or three games. And - it's usually on a rollout play (I play with the Bears and use Kordell) where I'm trying to evade a lineman who has a great angle coming toward me, and is about to crush me.

Are you honestly saying that this happens all the time? That DL regularly knock down passes that aren't anywhere near them? Please clarify, because I haven't heard anyone complaining about this.

If it only happened once though - give me a break....

And - in defense of the game's collision detection - I think it is way more sophisticated than in years past. First of all - the big, bruising backs (like the A Train) can usually push dbacks forward for an exra yard or two - as opposed to years past where any defender could immediately take down an runnings back (i.e. a 5'7" dime back dropping Bettis in the open field).

Second - this version of Madden does a far better job recreating what happens when the ball is in the air. In past versions, you could throw into double or triple coverage, and defenders would drop the easiest picks. This is definitely not the case this year. If you throw into double and triple coverage, you will throw a bunch of picks. I practically had to relearn the passing game this year - and I now call almost all short, crossing patterns.

So - I find it hard to fault EA for collision detection this year.
Old 09-21-2003, 12:05 PM   #10
Banned

Brankles's Arena

OVR: 23

Collision detections are terrible this year.

The ball goes through my DBs.
I dive tackle a quarterback and slide right off of him.
Running backs bounce through a pile of 10 defensive players and jet out for a touchdown.

I love Sega games. Always have. All of my friends play Madden, so I decided to buy it this year. I get it and ESPN turns out to be so much of a better game than Madden it's not even funny.

I will probably never buy an EA title again. After this disappointing game.

Holla
Old 09-21-2003, 06:35 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:

Brankles said:
Collision detections are terrible this year.

The ball goes through my DBs.
I dive tackle a quarterback and slide right off of him.
Running backs bounce through a pile of 10 defensive players and jet out for a touchdown.

I love Sega games. Always have. All of my friends play Madden, so I decided to buy it this year. I get it and ESPN turns out to be so much of a better game than Madden it's not even funny.

I will probably never buy an EA title again. After this disappointing game.

Holla

I findthat ESPN, although a great game, has way too many bugs. And what is funny is that all the people that have hyped ESPN to no end ignore these bugs, but then they jump all over the tiniest little thing in Madden???
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »