Home

Let's Talk About Football Commentary

This is a discussion on Let's Talk About Football Commentary within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-23-2011, 09:09 PM   #25
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Let's Talk About Football Commentary

Thanks for opening the thread Chase and congrats on your new position with the team.

I agree with others that say the FIRST thing that needs to be done is that the commentary needs to be recorded with both announcers in the same location at the same time. If it's not going to happen, anything else that's added or deleted is still going to sound awkward, disjointed, and worst of all scripted.

I have to highly disagree with others that think we need analysis of every play and just constant banter from the announcers. I may be in the minority but I think the announcers of today need to just shut up at times. Every play doesn't need to be analyzed from 5 angles.

Some of the best announcers in the game have said the least. Specifically the TV announcers. They need less PBP and more dynamic commentary than a radio announcer who has to paint a picture to the listener with a lot of words. In Madden's case less can really mean a whole lot more. It also means that it frees up valuable disc space.

Another thing that just kills the commentary is the lack of emotion in the voice or worse having Gus have emotion in the commentary at the wrong time. It sounds...well....awful.

*Record together
*Less is more
*Proper voice inflection given the outcome of the play
*Mixed with excellent dynamic crowd reactions and even a little slip up in the commentary goes unnoticed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-23-2011, 09:29 PM   #26
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by therizing02
Thanks for opening the thread Chase and congrats on your new position with the team.

I agree with others that say the FIRST thing that needs to be done is that the commentary needs to be recorded with both announcers in the same location at the same time. If it's not going to happen, anything else that's added or deleted is still going to sound awkward, disjointed, and worst of all scripted.

I have to highly disagree with others that think we need analysis of every play and just constant banter from the announcers. I may be in the minority but I think the announcers of today need to just shut up at times. Every play doesn't need to be analyzed from 5 angles.

Some of the best announcers in the game have said the least. Specifically the TV announcers. They need less PBP and more dynamic commentary than a radio announcer who has to paint a picture to the listener with a lot of words. In Madden's case less can really mean a whole lot more. It also means that it frees up valuable disc space.

Another thing that just kills the commentary is the lack of emotion in the voice or worse having Gus have emotion in the commentary at the wrong time. It sounds...well....awful.

*Record together
*Less is more
*Proper voice inflection given the outcome of the play
*Mixed with excellent dynamic crowd reactions and even a little slip up in the commentary goes unnoticed.
What do you mean less is more? Do you like the awkward silences in every game? That is definitely less. What are you hoping they talk about then?
Old 11-23-2011, 10:27 PM   #27
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by at23steelers
What do you mean less is more? Do you like the awkward silences in every game? That is definitely less. What are you hoping they talk about then?
I get what he means, Steelers.

I'm tired of blowhards like Gruden who go on and on and on and drool over Aaron Rodgers or any star of the evening. I love Gruden's knowledge of the game, but it's get tiring hearing how much he loves X player.

As I said on page two, allow the crowd and the atmosphere take over when scoring on an incredible play. Sometimes, that just means follow the Lambeau leap or watch an opposing player fake they are going to do the Lambeau leap.

Even in 2k basketball, the continuous talking over and over starts getting repetitive. Give me less is more vs over the top any day of the week.

Joe Buck get's it. 95% of the time, I don't like him bringing up little tidbits that have nothing to do with the game. What he is good at, is, if a player scores the go ahead TD in a breath taking moment, he shuts up and let's the atmosphere take over.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:29 PM   #28
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Give me less is more vs over the top any day of the week.
Ideally, it wouldn't be at either extreme.

Bring up informative bits about the game, the players, play on the field, without it being incessant.

I don't know why it would need to be either bare bones or constant rambling. "Less is more" reminds me of what we have now - very little substance or content.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:36 PM   #29
Banned

OVR: 24

Let me add:

Record more names and use them!

"He breaks a tackle.....He's back to throw.....He makes the catch......"

And, "This guy has a great feel for the game"......Who!!??

Much too generic.

I understand CAP's and such, but not stars like Tebow. Another thing that "other game" did well-----you can add today's players into that game, even if they weren't around then, and the announcers would still call them by name. (albeit last name only, but still...)
Old 11-23-2011, 11:29 PM   #30
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Ideally, it wouldn't be at either extreme.

Bring up informative bits about the game, the players, play on the field, without it being incessant.

I don't know why it would need to be either bare bones or constant rambling. "Less is more" reminds me of what we have now - very little substance or content.
I guess I'm trying to express game winning TD's or FG's. Announcers don't need to go over the top and express what a great pressure winning kick that was or an exciting pass or run.

Let the crowd, players and atmosphere dictate that.

Look at DeSean Jackson's run with some odd seconds left in the game against the Giants last year. Yeah, you express it was the game winning TD, but then pan over to the Giants sideline and look at all the heads hanging low or how quiet the crowd becomes. Maybe the head coaching banging the headphones on the field or ripping the punter.

And then pan over and look at Jackson getting mobbed by teammates.

Winning a playoff game at home- pan the crowd, capture the atmosphere, and capture the glory of victory(players high-fiving crowd) and the agony of defeat.(losing players on sideline staring at the ground)

During the game, just needs to sound more authentic, more NFL like, some conversatinal, some story telling, etc..... Honestly, though, when I play 2k basketball and the 3 guys are talking, I do tune them out after awhile.

And they have one of the better commentating games in sports.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:35 PM   #31
MVP

Danimal's Arena

OVR: 21

I haven't read everyone else post on purpose as I want to say wha ti would like.

Personally I want dynamic commentary. By that I mean I want the commentary to match what is happening in my franchise, in my universe. Having commentary on what happen in this years real NFL for Madden 13 is fine for the first season then it's done.

I'd rather have little bits of that and more commentary on what is happening in game and during my season. Then the next year can build off that.

Example: Focus Brian Urlacher

Year 1 Game 1: Commentary about Urlacher, how long he has played. Any other stuff you hear spewed week in week out on telecast.

As the game goes on if he is having a good game talk about it. Maybe he has 10 tackles in the 3rd quarter, highlight it with commentary.

Year 1 Game 7: Perhaps is playing with an injury lets hear about it. Perhaps he got hurt week 2 and been out for 4 weeks. Highlight he is back and why he was out. Maybe he is having a pro bowl year, talk about it. Keep focusing on what he does during a game if it's good or bad. If he makes a great play, show a highlight and talk over it.

Year 1 Game 11: Maybe the Packers just lost Rodgers for the season and they are in a race for the division with the Bears. Bring that up, or talk about key players on the other team etc.

Year 1 Game 15: Perhaps the Bears aren't going to the playoffs but Urlacher is making the pro bowl for sure because of his season. Intro into the game with that, talk about his season. Due to his age perhaps he might retire, maybe some commentary speculating that.

Year 2 Pre-season Game 1: Talk about how this is Urlachers XX year, how last year he made his XX pro bowl and posted monster numbers with XX tackles etc. Talk about how the Bears drafter a rookie stud MLB and perhaps what that means.

I don't know if these examples help but to put it simply commentary gets stale. Even stale lines with new numbers can become interesting. Immerse me in my world, my franchise what is happening for me.

For me that's what I want plain and simple.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-23-2011, 11:37 PM   #32
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I get what he means, Steelers.

I'm tired of blowhards like Gruden who go on and on and on and drool over Aaron Rodgers or any star of the evening. I love Gruden's knowledge of the game, but it's get tiring hearing how much he loves X player.

As I said on page two, allow the crowd and the atmosphere take over when scoring on an incredible play. Sometimes, that just means follow the Lambeau leap or watch an opposing player fake they are going to do the Lambeau leap.

Even in 2k basketball, the continuous talking over and over starts getting repetitive. Give me less is more vs over the top any day of the week.

Joe Buck get's it. 95% of the time, I don't like him bringing up little tidbits that have nothing to do with the game. What he is good at, is, if a player scores the go ahead TD in a breath taking moment, he shuts up and let's the atmosphere take over.
Exactly what I was referring to. I know a lot of people don't care for Joe Buck, but to me the guy does a phenomonal job of letting the viewer take in what is happening on the field and with the combination of dynamic crowd reactions to each specific play it all works well together.

Instead of...

Blount off tackle right breaks a tackle and another and another he's at the 40-35 he might go...

This is much better....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_may...eature=related

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »