Home

How to Defend Rocket Catch???

This is a discussion on How to Defend Rocket Catch??? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-29-2011, 03:07 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 4
Question How to Defend Rocket Catch???

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2011, 03:19 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 8
Re: How to Defend Rocket Catch???

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachimclutch504
This is very vague... Is the catch being made at the sideline, down the field, in the middle, in the end zone, etc...

You stop each different ways. Do you have a specific one you want to stop or are you trying to stop them all. Before you answer, trying to stop them all is going to be difficult. Tis better to expect one type and take that type away.

It all depends on what your opponent wants to see and whether you give it to him. Some guys rocket against zone coverage, others rocket against man. Only a few players do it against both man and zone.

Find out what your opponent wants, then take it away. OR bait him into throwing his rocket into the teeth of your coverage by showing him what he wants while mixing in something he doesn't expect.

The first step - adjust your coverages based on your opponent. Stay away from running stock defenses exactly as they are designed. It won't help you defeat a solid player whether they RC or not.

Later
Old 11-29-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachimclutch504
You can't really, this year the DB's whether CPU or manually controlled do not attack the ball at it's highest point (they tend to alligator arm quite a bit) like a CPU/user catch for the offense does.

Well it would be better stated as defending a jump ball/rocket catch is not nearly as consistent as making the receiver jump to catch it.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setfree1012
You can't really, this year the DB's whether CPU or manually controlled do not attack the ball at it's highest point (they tend to alligator arm quite a bit) like a CPU/user catch for the offense does.
Slow down... You can defend jump balls (I like this term better than rocket catch).

- Use the STRAFE button before you jump to defend.
- Hit the receiver REAL, REAL HARD.
- Hit the QB before he can make the throw.
- Use coverages that make for tight passing windows.
- Cover with tall defenders with good JMP/CTH ratings.

These aren't the only ways, but they all work for me.

Later
Old 11-30-2011, 01:55 AM   #5
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
Slow down... You can defend jump balls (I like this term better than rocket catch).

- Use the STRAFE button before you jump to defend.
- Hit the receiver REAL, REAL HARD.
- Hit the QB before he can make the throw.
- Use coverages that make for tight passing windows.
- Cover with tall defenders with good JMP/CTH ratings.

These aren't the only ways, but they all work for me.

Later
This

the RC isnt even an effective tool to use in madden this year. Its more of a hassle than what it is worth. The RC is more timing and accurate throw than anything. So if you can "move the QB off his spot" (not even get there, but just move him) the throw will be less accurate and maybe will cause an overthrow or sometimes by being moved players will just say "forget it" and go to another read..

Its more of a hassle to use than what its worth.

TNT pretty much listed the things you can do against it to help out. But the main thing you need is pressure on the qb to get him moving around.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-30-2011, 01:09 PM   #6
Pro

kc10785's Arena

OVR: 6

I don't have a problem with RC any where on the field except in the end zone I can have 3 players on the WR and he will out jump everybody.
"For me, winning isn't something that happens suddenly on the field when the whistle blows and the crowds roar. Winning is something that builds physically and mentally every day that you train and every night that you dream." -Emmitt Smith

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »