Home

Problems with the hitstick

This is a discussion on Problems with the hitstick within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-30-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Problems with the hitstick

Hi,
I've played about 40 or so games of madden against the cpu. I've only been able to successfully do one of those bone-crushing hits once!

Why is the hitstick so hard to use this year?
I can never trigger a hitstick animation...which is frustating as i can't stop those slant routes across the middle or get a essential fumble. The cpu does this to me like crazy and even cornerbacks seem to be knocking steven jackson on his butt.

I play on all madden - does this have anything to do with it (e.g. you can't strafe on offensive either, but the cpu can)
Also, does your player have to have the "hard hitter" trait?

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-01-2011, 03:03 AM   #2
Pro

Re: Problems with the hitstick

Really? I swear half of my tackles are hit stick tackles that I didn't even initiate. It seems the game has a lot more hit stick tackles than ever. Maybe you don't have enough "big hit" players on your team. I'm telling you, if you get one guy who's a big hitter, you'll see at least two big hits every game, even if you don't try to do it.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:29 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 8

Not sure what to tell you... Theres nothing special you have to do to hit stick except tap the right stick up or down. Even if your defenders aren't Big Hitters, but even a punter can try to lower the boom on someone.

That said, Big Hitters tend to get into the Hit Stick animation immediately where sissy hitters have to wind up. That wind up might mean the difference between knocking the snot out of the ball carrier OR whiffing altogether.

It's quite possible that you are missing the Hit Stick and your guy is just whiffing - which has an animation all it's own.

What I'd recommend is that you avoid the Hit Stick and master the other tackles (Strip, Wrap, Power). The Hit Stick is a TERRIBLE habit to rely on for most situations and is only appropriate when you have a ball carrier lined up for a funnel shot or he has sidelines to contend with...

Sometimes just tackling is better than trying to make the highlight reel.

Later
Old 12-01-2011, 07:27 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

if ur playing on all madden defualt than thats you're problem no matter wat you do they will always break tackles try looking for a good slider set on the forums
Old 12-01-2011, 12:34 PM   #5
Banned

It's not the difficulty level (to a fault, as break tackle is higher for the CPU vs your tackle rating), but take a look at a few things...

1) Suction tackling has been toned down a bit each year since M10, if you have those old copies you will see how EASY it used to be to execute, no matter the angle you took it would rotate offensive players into the hit, (in our M10 OLF we had users who's entire defensive strategy was based off of their ability to hit-stick to force fumbles and drops).

2)With the "point of contact" window being smaller you better be sure you're head up or you're going to have a whiff on your hands.

3) The CPU players have "player traits" (see edit player), that determine how often they hit stick. I use Carolina, Beason, and Davis lay the wood frequently.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-01-2011, 03:56 PM   #6
All Star

azdawgpound's Arena

OVR: 21

i believe EA made it a timing thing now and the right angle for the hitstick this yr u just cant lay anybody out like in past maddens...i know i have caused lots of fumbles with TJ Ward and big hits.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »