Home

Madden Storylines (Help Make Commentary Stronger in Madden 13 and Beyond)

This is a discussion on Madden Storylines (Help Make Commentary Stronger in Madden 13 and Beyond) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-05-2011, 10:59 AM   #9
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Madden Storylines (Help Make Commentary Stronger in Madden 13 and Beyond)

Titans:

banter about how new DC Jerry Gray simplified the defense and moved away from the wide-9 favored by former line coach Jim Washburn, and brought in bigger linemen to hold up against the run like Shaun Smith, and moved former 280 lb. defensive tackle Jason Jones, out to defensive end.

Ahmard Hall is a former Marine radio operator who served in Afganistan.

One of the better Left Tackles in the NFL Michael Roos was born in Estonia, name used to be spelled Mihkel. He was a high school tight end.

Matt Hasselbeck's father played in the NFL as a tight end.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:42 AM   #10
TheSaints7

OVR:
As I support the Saints then it would be great to hear about there Superbowl Season and how Tracy porter intercepted Favre and Manning. Also talk about Drew Brees, with him being an elite QB, I did not here anything about him in Madden 12. Also when Saints Play Colts, express how there Superbowl game went.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:44 AM   #11
TheSaints7

OVR:
And make Jimmy Grahams appearance better. Also when you describe a person in Madden 13 like talk about them , there is no need to repeat it every game.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2011, 12:01 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 16

Also, these would be needed to be update every single year. I think it's better to have a foundation, and then grow from there. Like someone said, these would be announced every time, and would grow tiresome and annoying. The purpose of commentary is to inform the audience, not say something OVER and OVER again, so they can recite it themselves. This is why, although no doubt tougher to do: dynamic story lines and analysis of plays is more beneficial to work on, for not only this year but years to come! Just look at NBA 2K11's commentary for a few games. Sounds amazing the first time you play it, but gets repetitive after the 3rd game of playing, because all it is are storylines that flow together that sound realistic the first time, but want to turn off after. Compare that to MLB TODAY in MLB 2K12, where they have current matchups of teams and discuss how each player and team are performing, who is on a hot and cold streak IRL. It is much more dynamic.

Last edited by at23steelers; 12-05-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:05 PM   #13
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Again, this is the type of stuff that may or may not make it into the game, it's just helpful to have on hand for reference material.

And, also, yes I am aware of the shortcomings of having "storylines" said over and over again, which is why I would think this stuff fits more for Play Now/Online and year one of a Franchise mode.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:13 PM   #14
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quick hits for Dallas:

Jason Garrett: comment on how he once was a back-up QB for Dallas. Mention how he inherited a 1-7 team in 2010 and turned them into a more competitive bunch. Talk about his rookie coaching mistakes, but concentrate on what the outlook is for him as the coach for Dallas.

Romo: General stuff about how fans and media rip him. Have Collinsworth mention specific stats to support or debunk those rip jobs.

DeMarco Murray: Rookie bursts onto the scene and (presumably) becomes our 1st 1,000 yard rusher in quite some time. Talk about how Felix has underachieved a bit since being a first round pick.

WR: Mention how our WRs are good, but subject to injury

Defense: The emergence of Sean Lee, highlight how the defense has improved under Rob Ryan (if he's back next year) and mention that there are still question marks about another pass rusher outside of Ware and our secondary.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:16 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
Again, this is the type of stuff that may or may not make it into the game, it's just helpful to have on hand for reference material.

And, also, yes I am aware of the shortcomings of having "storylines" said over and over again, which is why I would think this stuff fits more for Play Now/Online and year one of a Franchise mode.
No doubt bro, this is nothing but beneficial. I am just recommending looking at other sports games too, and take note of what they do well and don't do well, so then you can see what works in video games and what doesn't. Be sure to play more than one game too, to see the repetitive factor. I thought NBA 2K11 had the best announcing I have ever heard when I played my first game on it. But after 3 games, my mind changed since I could recite some of what they were saying, only after limited time playing it.

Steelers:

- 3rd Team to choose a QB in 2004, and Big Ben most successful out of the 3 so far.
- Transition from an older defense to new up and comers like Cortez Allen, Worilds, Hood, and Heyward.
- Record with and without Polamalu, MVP of our team.
- Ike Taylor is playing his best football despite being over 30 and at the latter part of his career.
- Ravens never defeated Big Ben until this year.
- Steelers transitioning to a more passing attack instead of ground and pound.
-Ben Roethlisberger is the toughest son of a gun in the league.
-Mike Wallace is among the fastest in the league.
-The two routinely combine on explosive plays. (40+ yards)
-Woodley is often a slow starter and a streaky performer but when he is on, he's on.
-Harrison is among the fiercest and most dominant players in the league but there are worries about injuries and age.
-Polamalu's reckless abandon has been a major problem concerning injuries.
-Antonio Brown is a rising star in the league and is absolutely electric with a chance to take it to the house every time he touches the ball.
-Miller is an incredibly reliable TE in all phases of the game.

I'll probably add more to this later. This might be most effective for the key players. In franchise mode, I wouldn't use this if someone chooses to do a fantasy draft team!!

Last edited by at23steelers; 12-06-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2011, 01:12 PM   #16
Rookie

Matthew25x's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
Titans:

banter about how new DC Jerry Gray simplified the defense and moved away from the wide-9 favored by former line coach Jim Washburn, and brought in bigger linemen to hold up against the run like Shaun Smith, and moved former 280 lb. defensive tackle Jason Jones, out to defensive end.

Ahmard Hall is a former Marine radio operator who served in Afganistan.

One of the better Left Tackles in the NFL Michael Roos was born in Estonia, name used to be spelled Mihkel. He was a high school tight end.

Matt Hasselbeck's father played in the NFL as a tight end.
The defensive coordinator commentary would be a great touch. I think all coaches should have their own commentary just like the players do. So if, in the off-season, I get a new defensive coordinator, they can mention it in games. It doesn't even have to be complex. Even a generic reference to new coaching and whether or not its better or worse would be really cool. Coaches aren't a very big part of the game at all it seems, but talking about all of the coaching staff like commentators actually do, would at least bring them into the world a little bit.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »